Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Scale crawling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2011, 10:53 AM   #1

Default Scale crawling

I am a complete NOOOOB when it comes to rc. I do have a losi strike sc truck that I know a bit a bout. But I wanted to get into crawling because its something I can enjoy alone and not having to go to a track to have fun.

Most crawlers you build from the ground up correct? Is there a kit or guide that can help a complete noob? I wouldn't know all the parts I need if I had to buy them individually.

Any advice would be appreciated.
XxSTEPHENSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2011, 11:25 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Most crawlers you build from the ground up correct? Is there a kit or guide that can help a complete noob? I wouldn't know all the parts I need if I had to buy them individually.

Any advice would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]
is there a kit? seriously dude , do you have a computer, have you searced anything on here. there are a ton of kits out there, why dont you look before you ask.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlhog View Post

Any advice would be appreciated.
is there a kit? seriously dude , do you have a computer, have you searced anything on here. there are a ton of kits out there, why dont you look before you ask.[/QUOTE]

well "dude" if I knew what the hell I was actually looking for in a kit I wouldn't be asking this stupid question. No website actually tells you what you get or need to finish the build. Like I said... maybe a little guidance will help.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:50 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

First, look through here and read a bunch of the stickies, then if you want to learn more about the various kits, get on www.axialracing.com.
They have everything from kits to RTR's. I personally have a Axial SCX10 TR with the Dingo body and I love it. I've also built up a couple of their AX10 kits as well and have had a lot of fun with them. As far as what you need, if you get an actual kit you have to assemble, you'll need all the electronics such as an ESC, Radio System, Motor, Servo, and Battery. You'll also want to go ahead and get an external BEC, you'll want/need one eventually anyways. You'll also need paint to finish the body.
Now, if you want to go with the cheaper/easier option (at least from the beginning), go with an RTR like the Axial SCX10TR Dingo or Honcho. The new ones come with a pretty decent radio system and esc that is lipo capable, which is nice. The only other things you would need are a BEC, battery, and charger.
Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:51 AM   #5
RCC Addict

besides asking a question have you even looked around this site. there,s a ton of info. why dont you look around a little there hundreds of build threads that tell you what parts/kit to use, then ask questions.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:43 PM   #6

Thanks tcabner - If I buy an rtr such as the HPI Crawler King can I change out every single part? I have installed a steering kit on a friend of mine's which really sparked my interest in crawlers.

Crawlhog - I have searched around and read a bunch of builds but no one really really gets down to the BASICS on the stuff I am missing to be able to get my mind around this stuff. I hate to hijack a thread with noob questions.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:48 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Dont buy a HPI CK, stick to Axial SXC line or you will end up wasting money just to find yourself buying one later anyways. The new Honcho or Dingo RTR or kit is the way to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxSTEPHENSxX View Post
Thanks tcabner - If I buy an rtr such as the HPI Crawler King can I change out every single part? I have installed a steering kit on a friend of mine's which really sparked my interest in crawlers.

Crawlhog - I have searched around and read a bunch of builds but no one really really gets down to the BASICS on the stuff I am missing to be able to get my mind around this stuff. I hate to hijack a thread with noob questions.
Oso787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:57 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

Well you did post in the newb section asking a newb question so I don't know what's with all the bitchy posts...lol

If you've gone and looked around at the threads on custom builds than pay attention to the beginning of the post right around the "parts list" that should tell you what experienced guys are using and then you can read about what you need and don't need by using good ole fashioned Google, and this site.

Answering your first Q, to be honest a lot of the crawlers you are going to see start life as an Axial RTR (don't hate look at the # of posts about "my honcho build" or "my SCX10 build"...lol). My advice would be pick up the Honcho or Dingo RTR, and some hop up parts you can add after driving it around for a bit.
jaydubya2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:16 PM   #9

Alright that sounds simple enough to get started so I can get the hang of it. Thanks.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:36 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso787 View Post
Dont buy a HPI CK, stick to Axial SXC line or you will end up wasting money just to find yourself buying one later anyways. The new Honcho or Dingo RTR or kit is the way to go!
X2, I'm not knocking any of the other brands out there, including HPI, but as far as scalers go, Axial has it locked down.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:44 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Get one of the Axial SCX-10 trucks. If you get the kit you will need electronics to put in there, other than that everything comes with it although you may want to make some upgrades down the line.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:59 PM   #12

That's exactly what I need to know... I will get the SCX10 kit and go from there.... Any recommendations on the website to get it from.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:40 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
That's exactly what I need to know... I will get the SCX10 kit and go from there.... Any recommendations on the website to get it from.

id go with rpp hobby they are a vendor on rcc and they have great customer service and get you stuff to you right away and if im not mistaken if you a get a rtr scx-10 i think their the cheapest but have fun with it the scx-10 is a blast to drive and there are a ton of upgrades for it just like any other axial
txcrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:02 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

"kit" usually means no electronics! RTR will get you going faster, but end up costing more due to the fact you will replace all your electronics with upgraded ones!
NickGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:09 AM   #15

Thanks for the recommendation I will check them out.

As far as getting a rtr or kit... I may decide to go with a rtr so I can start crawling and then replace things as I go but I really want to build it from the ground up. We will see I guess.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:25 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickGood View Post
"kit" usually means no electronics! RTR will get you going faster, but end up costing more due to the fact you will replace all your electronics with upgraded ones!
The only thing about that, is now axial is releasing their RTR's with a 2.4ghz radio and the new AE-2 Esc that is both lipo capable and has drag brake, which should carry the average newbie along for quite a while. Obviously there is the front servo that may need to be upgraded though. Either way, the RTR's are a nice middle ground to start with.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:18 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

I agree with you the ae-2 in nice and makes the RTR alot better, but still 30 for electronics and assembly. I have no personal experience with one, but I still hear numerous complaints of them acting up.

I know how you feel about wanting to build from ground up! On a side note, lets say you buy the rtr crawl abit and loose intrest it you would not have spent over $300 and had a few weeks of fun. just my .02
NickGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:08 AM   #18

Which kit comes with that? Is that the scorpion or the 4wd truck?

I was looking at this one... http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXWDJ7&P=ML

I don't care for the body but I can pick a different one later.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:30 AM   #19
ilg
Rock Stacker

If you want to build it yourself, you're probably gonna want this one... http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYVD5&P=7

You can get the same body on a ready to run as well, but it does not look like Tower Hobbies sells them.
ilg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:03 AM   #20
Scale Detail Engineering

The one in your link does not come with electronics and you will build it from the ground up. If you choose a kit and build it from the ground up you will learn everything about your truck so when it breaks, you'll know how to fix it. The other bennifet, as others have said, is you choose your electronics.

From Towers site, at the very bottom:
COMPLETION NOTES FROM THE TECH DEPARTMENT REQUIRES: 2-ch radio w/high torque steering servo, 540/550 motor, 6-cell stick battery, charger, ESC, 8 AA TX batteries, tools & track equipment

If you buy the Honcho or Dingo, they are both RTR and then you just need to buy a battery and charger and you'll be running.

OR, your best option: Buy a star from this website so you have access to the classified section. Then, put money into a paypal account. Once that paypal goes through you check the ad's every single day for a couple of weeks. Then you find a good deal on a fully assembled Axial scx10 with batteries and charger and hop ups.

BTW, the Axial SCX 10 kits come with aluminum links and the rtr (TR or trail ready) come with plastic links. The Honcho wheelbase is almost 1 inch longer then the Dingo.
Go to the bottom of this page, it outlines the differences.
http://www.axialracing.com/ftp/scx10-rtr/index.html
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote