Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Motor&ESC combo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2011, 07:35 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Motor&ESC combo

Hey guys..my little boy got his very 1st crawler the losi comp roller.i threw in an old ESC and 540 motor i had laying around from a previous cheap crawler.the only problem im noticing is that it like has not crawling power?when it gets in some tough spots it like has no balls?i even threw in a quick 3s 2200 lipo just to see if it was the battery and it still seems to have no crawling power.buddy of mine told me that its the 540 motor that i should get a higher turn motor for that thing,now were kinda new to crawling and i run a super so i dont know much about the 1/10 scale crawlers?Can anyone suggest a good ESC motor combo for this thing and battery?i was thinkihg of throwing a HH br-xl ESC, thats what i run in my super and love them but not sure how it would be in my boys? Any help would be appreciated,thanx
GREEDY GENIUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2011, 07:47 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Brxl, CC MM or sidewinder V2, Novak FXR are all decent ESC's that can grow but be bought used (well, maybe not the Brxl).
As to motors, 35T to 50T brushed, rebuildables. Holmes & Brood do nice machine wound, or step up to a handwound, but that may be overkill for your son. Hmmm....I was thinking, is the Losi comp a worm drive? If so, you will want brushless. The worm drive eats brushed motors for lunch....... If you need to go brushless, make sure the ESC also does brushless.
Batteries, I like CheapBatteryPacks.com. They have a nice Elite 3S mid "C" 1300mah LiPO pack. Small but will likely do 2 comp courses on a charge.

You may want to update the steering servo and add a CC BEC.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:05 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Brxl, CC MM or sidewinder V2, Novak FXR are all decent ESC's that can grow but be bought used (well, maybe not the Brxl).
As to motors, 35T to 50T brushed, rebuildables. Holmes & Brood do nice machine wound, or step up to a handwound, but that may be overkill for your son. Hmmm....I was thinking, is the Losi comp a worm drive? If so, you will want brushless. The worm drive eats brushed motors for lunch....... If you need to go brushless, make sure the ESC also does brushless.
Batteries, I like CheapBatteryPacks.com. They have a nice Elite 3S mid "C" 1300mah LiPO pack. Small but will likely do 2 comp courses on a charge.

You may want to update the steering servo and add a CC BEC.
Ahhhh thats probably whats going on!..yeah its worm drive and it probably ate the motor,lol..hey man thanx for the advice,like i said were kinda new to this so were learning.i'll get the br-xl it handles brusheless,whats a good brushless motor in your opinion?i dont run them so i wouldnt know?
Old 04-23-2011, 08:18 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEDY GENIUS View Post
Ahhhh thats probably whats going on!..yeah its worm drive and it probably ate the motor,lol..hey man thanx for the advice,like i said were kinda new to this so were learning.i'll get the br-xl it handles brusheless,whats a good brushless motor in your opinion?i dont run them so i wouldnt know?

You might want to rethink your ESC choice.

The spec's show it as brushed only.

Spec's;

Comes stock with Auto lipo LVC, Full drag brake, instant reverse, and 100% reverse throttle settings.

1 year warranty
2s to 6s lipo input
onboard 6v 5a switchmode BEC
46x34x20mm
38 grams (with battery wires)
Brushed only
80a continuous, no single 540 motor limit

Reverse and brake adjustment
Regenerative Drag Brake
Active Hold Brake (The Holmes Hold!)
Quiet mode

Dual motor supers, go fast racers, wheel speed trail junkies, pullin mofo's, and any brushed fanatic will love it!

Super easy Stick programming. Fully Computer programmable via Castle Creations Castle Link with instant firmware upgrades!

JC
skid plate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:36 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

SKID PLATE...,i stand corrected!...i thought they could handle brushless? Thanks man.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:51 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Sooo.....this weeds some of the choices out.

I've been happy with the CC MM, my son just installed a Sidewinder SCT (not sure the difference between the SCT & the Sidewinder Sv2?).

But yeah, the worm drive axles LOVE to eat brushed motors. You "can" use them, but the maintenance gets rather high from what I've seen & read. We have a worm driver in our club, so I get to hear it first hand.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:34 AM   #7
Defy Gravity

get a mamba max pro, brushed and sensored brushless, 6s input, could go on. running one in my losi paired with a tekin 17.5 and i love it. its possible to run brushed, but the maintenance is the killer. need a comm lathe and a pile of brushes and springs. i'd stay away from novak's brushless, every one i've seen in action had a little cog. mmp and the motor of your choosing, sensored of course, is the best route. the tekin rs is also good, just damn expensive. stop by the losi forum sometime and look around greedy.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:51 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtpdm5 View Post
get a mamba max pro, brushed and sensored brushless, 6s input, could go on. running one in my losi paired with a tekin 17.5 and i love it. its possible to run brushed, but the maintenance is the killer. need a comm lathe and a pile of brushes and springs. i'd stay away from novak's brushless, every one i've seen in action had a little cog. mmp and the motor of your choosing, sensored of course, is the best route. the tekin rs is also good, just damn expensive. stop by the losi forum sometime and look around greedy.
Hey man,thanks for the info,well appreciated.im gunna look into some of these motors and ESCs,price them out and take it from there.thanks guys
Old 04-23-2011, 11:56 AM   #9
Defy Gravity

yup no problem, better to do it right once than do it over and over. look here in the classifieds, its where i found my motor for 55 and i think i've seen a few mmp's come up as well. if not, rpp has em for 104 iirc...was 110 shipped i know.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:55 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Hmmm Novak goat
Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:20 PM   #11
Defy Gravity

why would you spend the 180 on the goat system when you can get a far better system for 20 dollars more, or even way less with the castle mmp and motor of your choice? their motors are ok, but the esc's leave a lot to be desired. you've gone from starting useless threads, to poking your head in on things you really shouldn't, bravo.