Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: need some advice and help me make a decision

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2011, 12:16 PM   #1

Default need some advice and help me make a decision

So this is what I'm looking to do for my next R/C.

Requirements:

1. Some fun/casual beginning rock crawling. ie nothing serious yet.
2. Have the ability to create a scale truck look and feel.
3. Have that "go anywhere" ability, so trail running, sand, rocks, etc.
4. Decent speed.
5. Build it myself kit.

From looking around the two options that seem to fit are:

1. Axial SCX Kit
2. Axial Wraith (i know RTR )

Now I currently have a CC-01 and well it's been hacked to death and I haven't been able to really get it where I want it to be. So that is way I'm not listing that one. I'm leaning towards the SCX because it's a kit and there seems to be a ton of hop-ups and other accessories out there for it. Now I know that's because it has been out for a long time. The Wraith on the other hand is not a kit and there seems to be very little out for it. Which I realize is because it's new. So.... Removing the parts from the equation we come down to the stock gear that comes with the vehicles.

So my big question(s) that I have is.. Are there design and parts on the Wraith that would justify buying it over the SCX for what I want to do? Or are the two vehicles very similar in respect to what I want them to do? I just don't want to buy the SCX to find out later "oh you wanted to do that, you should have gotten the Wraith because it comes with X part/design feature".

Thanks,

Kahoko
Kahoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2011, 02:04 PM   #2
RCC Addict

You just described the wraith to a T. Yes it's RTR but that can be remedied easily enough.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:41 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

X2 on the Wraith, I have and love my SCX10 but the Wraith looks to be the best fit for you!!
OurJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:43 AM   #4

Thanks for the responses, and I was going to wait for the Wraith but price won out on this decision. I was at my LHS staring at a SCX-10 kit when the owner walked over to me and offered to sell me a partially completed SCX-10 kit that a customer had returned. He wanted $100 for it and threw in a new Honcho body shell since the one with the kit looked like a small dog had chewed on it. So I now have a SCX-10, going to be a bit more work than usual for a kit as I can already see that this customer must have said "I don't need no stinking manual!" So I'm in the process of disassembling and hoping nothing got too damaged. Since I got this one so cheap, I might still get a Wraith later on. Can't have too many RC right?
Kahoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:19 PM   #5
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoko View Post
Thanks for the responses, and I was going to wait for the Wraith but price won out on this decision. I was at my LHS staring at a SCX-10 kit when the owner walked over to me and offered to sell me a partially completed SCX-10 kit that a customer had returned. He wanted $100 for it and threw in a new Honcho body shell since the one with the kit looked like a small dog had chewed on it. So I now have a SCX-10, going to be a bit more work than usual for a kit as I can already see that this customer must have said "I don't need no stinking manual!" So I'm in the process of disassembling and hoping nothing got too damaged. Since I got this one so cheap, I might still get a Wraith later on. Can't have too many RC right?
Good deal man
I paid $100 for my scx10, well... like you, most of an scx10.
The only parts left on it that are still scx10: Frame, shocks, shock towers and axle housings.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote