Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: which moa kit to go with?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2011, 09:48 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default which moa kit to go with?

ok so im thinking of going upgrading to moa and use my losi as a back up but im not sure which kit to go with.
my set up would be a 4pl, dual fxrs, 35t motors, and a hs7950.
so heres what im looking at
berg kit
http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/nagcrl201.htm
bully kit
http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/rc4z-k0033.htm
or the xr10
http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/ax90017.htm
so i would get the kit and upgrade stuff as i go, i know some pros and cons but not many. so any help or pros and cons would help, and yes i did search but couldnt find what i was looking for.
minnesotamudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2011, 10:40 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

From a competitive stand point, get the XR10. It already has an outstanding chassis and many other good crawling parts. Second would be the berg, however you will likely ditch everything to get comp ready.

From more of a basher/home crawler point go for the Bully. The axles hold up to some serious abuse and want more. From what Ive read, chassis/link set is not the greatest but will serve its purpose for some decent crawling.
ram_tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:47 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Anything with comp bully's
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:48 AM   #4

you shouldnt rule oout an moa conversion for your losi either. pick up a new chassis and either buy a new eritex or keep your eyes out on here for one and you can ginf em about half price. then run the same combo your talking about and youll have a nice combo. ofcourse that being said im preferring my xr10 to my wifes moa losi even though theyare setup comparibly. the xr10 has better turning. one thing to consider though is since your used to worm gears and the sudden stop that occurs on them when you drop off the throttle it take you a little while to get used to the rolling stop of the others.

anyway just my two sense.
jereosbou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:32 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Thumbs down rs10

take a hard look at the rs10 i hase anrs1/8 and love it.also in prosses of buiilding a medd rs10
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnesotamudder View Post
ok so im thinking of going upgrading to moa and use my losi as a back up but im not sure which kit to go with.
my set up would be a 4pl, dual fxrs, 35t motors, and a hs7950.
so heres what im looking at
berg kit
http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/nagcrl201.htm
bully kit
http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/rc4z-k0033.htm
or the xr10
http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/ax90017.htm
so i would get the kit and upgrade stuff as i go, i know some pros and cons but not many. so any help or pros and cons would help, and yes i did search but couldnt find what i was looking for.
grave 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:12 AM   #6
www.ottsix.com

Default axles

Buy either the Bully or Berg axles then build from there. If you can find some XR10 axles, they're good too, but you'll need to visit Vanquishproducts.com and upgrade to their aluminum axle tops or the axle flex will (may) cause your gears to fail. While you're there, you may want to look at all of their aluminum upgrades for the XR10 as they all will make the axles work better.
That being said, the Bully's and Berg's will work right out of the box...but you can upgrade those, too.
crawl-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:27 AM   #7
www.ottsix.com

Default rs10

My first crawler was an RS10...I REALLY like the axles but the 380 motor setup lacks power. BUT, there is a thread in the RS10 forum that shows how to fab a 540 mount. IMO, I think that with 540 motors, the RS10 may be just as good, if not better than, the XR10...IMO only, I do not state this as a fact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grave 1 View Post
take a hard look at the rs10 i hase anrs1/8 and love it.also in prosses of buiilding a medd rs10
Old 07-30-2011, 12:12 PM   #8
RCC Addict

XR10 is the direction I will be going, once I finish my Comp Shafty.
DRV KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:57 PM   #9

I WENT FROM A AX-10 TO A XR-10 AND I LOVE IT. ALL I DID WAS GET THE Vanquish GEAR COVER AND MOTOR PLATE SO IT CHANGED MY BERINGS TO 10MM INSTED OF THE FACTORY 9MM AND BOUGHT THE RC4WD HARDEN GEAR SET. SO IT IS WAY STRONGER NOW!!
AARON900RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 03:44 PM   #10
www.ottsix.com

B4 you do, wrap you mind around this: It's going to cost you around $800 of Vanquish upgrads to get them close to the Bully or Berg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRV KRAWLER View Post
XR10 is the direction I will be going, once I finish my Comp Shafty.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:02 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawl-o-matic View Post
B4 you do, wrap you mind around this: It's going to cost you around $800 of Vanquish upgrads to get them close to the Bully or Berg.
It's gonna cost a fair chunk of money to get any MOA up to comp standards. I went berg cuz I saw how much trouble some of the local guys were having with their XRs.
version_three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:14 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

ya thats kindof my prob with the xr, the fact that they break more
i might just do a losi moa conversion, or i might get a berg, i might get to try a berg at my next comp so ill see how i like it
Old 07-31-2011, 09:25 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

If it means anything to you I am jumping from shafty to MOA and am getting in with a Berg. I ordered the same kit you linked, but I have a feeling I'll be jumping to a Viper chassis ASAP. When it gets here I'll see how I like it. For now, I am going to save the money, get it running, and see how I like it before I start changing things. You always need a baseline!
Kingpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:59 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnesotamudder View Post
i might get to try a berg at my next comp so ill see how i like it
That's how I ended up with a berg... I drove Scattman's for a course or two then went home and started shopping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpin View Post
I have a feeling I'll be jumping to a Viper chassis ASAP. When it gets here I'll see how I like it. For now, I am going to save the money, get it running, and see how I like it before I start changing things. You always need a baseline!
The Viper chassis is awesome, but then so are the rockshow and BJ too. The general opinion around here is that the stock geometry sucks, and it's really pretty hard to go wrong with most of the chassis provided by the vendors on here.

I will say this much; coming from a shafty, it's a whole new way to think about driving.
version_three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:47 AM   #15
www.ottsix.com

I converted over from Losi to Bully axles after driving a friends rig around for a few days. I also feel that Berg axles are oustanding, it's just that Bully parts are very easy to come by (IMO). (also, there's nothing wrong with the Losi, I just wanted to go MOA)
Old 08-01-2011, 07:26 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
People, you should actually know what you are talking about before posting. Quite repeating what you think you heard and exaggerating it as well.

I have a highly competitive XR10 which cost me no where near $800 in vanquish parts. I don't even have 800 in it excluding the radio and ESC which I already owned. This is with a BJV4 chassis, VP wheels, and custom bent titanium links.

The only major upgrades to do off the bat are two.

Vanquish motor plates. 2 @ 20 each which makes 40.

Then the RC4WD gears. 2 @ 40 each which makes 80.

Total to 120 above the kit price.

In stock form the chassis and links work very well. The wheels accept VP weights and work find as well. The top plates are not necessary until your axles are well worn. There are other less expensive options to that problem as well.

Then, upgrade as you break it. Heck, you can even wait on the gears with just having the motor plates depending on how you drive. Some do fine with stock gears.

Don't waste your time with a Redcat RS10. It's not comp worthy in any form. You would piss more money away on it trying to get it close than just buying the other ones and being done with it.

The bergs and bully's are also good machines.

To sum up here is what it would cost if you had nothing:

XR10 Kit-200
VP Plates-40
RC4WD Gears-80
4PL-220
ESC's (using dual mamba micro pros)-150
Motors handwound-120

There you have a very competitive setup all for 810 dollars. You could probably find a good deal in the classifieds as well and save some cash.

Last edited by TexasSP; 08-01-2011 at 02:06 PM.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:57 AM   #17
www.ottsix.com

First off, I'm NOT saying that the XR10 isn't any good. Let's clear that up right now. What I am saying is: This is what you need to have MOSTLY aluminum XR10 axles:
Vanquish aluminum tops : 120 x 2 = 240
link mounts : 40 x 2 = 80
transmision case : 40 x 2 = 80
motor plate : 20 x 2 = 40
steering knuckles : 50 x 2 = 100
chubs : 45
lock outs : 35
now add the cost of the original plastic XR10's, and your total is going to be right around $800

The fact is, is that XR10 axles were designed for the person who likes to upgrade, and there's nothing wrong with that. Berg and Bully axles are ready right out of the box...and there's nothing wrong with that either.

Last edited by crawl-o-matic; 08-01-2011 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:03 AM   #18
www.ottsix.com

That's all well and good until you bust mid comp....
Quote:
Then, upgrade as you break it. Heck, you can even wait on the gears with just having the motor plates depending on how you drive. Some do fine with stock gears.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:06 AM   #19
20K Club

Quote:
First off, I'm NOT saying that the XR10 isn't any good. Let's clear that up right now. What I am saying is: This is what you need to have MOSTLY aluminum XR10 axles:
Who in the world said you need "MOSTLY aluminum" XR10 axles? You are spewing information that is fairly worthless to a newbie. TexasSP's list is really some of the only useful information in this thread.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:29 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSP View Post
People, you should actually know what you are talking about before posting. Quite repeating what you think you heard and exaggerating it as well.

I have a highly competitive XR10 which cost me no where near $800 in vanquish parts. I don't even have 800 in it excluding the radio and ESC which I already owned. This is with a BJV4 chassis, VP wheels, and custom bent titanium links.

The only major upgrades to do off the bat are two.

Vanquish motor plates. 2 @ 20 each which makes 40.

Then the RC4WD gears. 2 @ 40 each which makes 80.

Total to 120 above the kit price.

In stock form the chassis and links work very well. The wheels accept VP weights and work find as well. The top plates are not necessary until your axles are well worn. There are other less expensive options to that problem as well.

Don't waste your time with a Redcat RS10. It's not comp worthy in any form. You would piss more money away on it trying to get it close than just buying the other ones and being done with it.

The bergs and bully's are also good machines also.

To sum up here is what it would cost if you had nothing:

XR10 Kit-200
VP Plates-40
RC4WD Gears-80
4PL-220
ESC's (using dual mamba micro pros)-150
Motors handwound-120

There you have a very competitive setup all for 810 dollars. You could probably find a good deal in the classifieds as well and save some cash.
I might jsut do that, it only will be about 500 becuse i have a 4pl
Quote:
That's all well and good until you bust mid comp....
its not like iv never burnt up a motor on my losi on corse and was done for the day but hey the smoke was cool