Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Questions about new ESC and Motor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2011, 12:32 AM   #1

Default Questions about new ESC and Motor

Okay, so.

I want to buy a new ESC and Motor due to my ESC stuffing up in my Honcho, im looking at getting the Holmes Hobbies BRXL ESC with a HH motor or a Tekin FXR ESC / Motor combo.

I prefer NiMH batteries over Lipo's, so is it possible to run both of those products depending on which i choose to purchase on NiMH batteries? When i look at the specs of the ESC' they all just say 2s lipo etc nothing about NiMH.

I ask because i have 2 NiMH batteries which i only bought about 1 week ago, one being a 4200mah and the other 5000mah, both 6 cells and 7.2v.

Thanks for reading
adamw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2011, 01:14 AM   #2
RCC Addict

I am partial to the tekin, I run them in all my rigs. They are small and can handle anything you throw at them really. And yes. When it says 2s or 3s lipo it means it will handle up to that. So fire away with ur nimh. But if you aren't planning on running lipo there are cheaper ways to run that aren't as small but smaller, like the Novak rooster.

Anyway, good luck. Either one u choose is going to make you happy, but think about the future to if you may want to switch to lipo power.
calikingcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:06 AM   #3

Yeah i want to switch to lipo's in the future although the only reason i am asking is because i just bought the nimh batteries and i didnt want to discard them after 2 uses each so yeah.. thanks for your input mate ill probably lean towards to HH seeing it is waterproof already and i hear great things about HH.

Thanks once again
Old 08-07-2011, 06:42 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Can't go wrong with the holmes. Just make sure that you have enough space though.
Jeykito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:52 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

For electronics, volts are volts, the electronics don't care what battery chemistry you use to make the volts.
Since most people are going LiPO, newer electronics only show LiPO info.
Better would be if they stated, "7-14VDC, or, 2-3S LiPO, 6-10 cell NiMH/NiCD" just to make it easier.

Last edited by Charlie-III; 08-14-2011 at 09:43 AM. Reason: fix typo
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:25 AM   #6

Yeah ill have plenty of room, moving things around just to sort out the truck cleanly, thanks for all the replies
Old 08-08-2011, 06:30 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I would highly recommend the HH BRXL. and get the waterproof one. That way you will never need another esc again. Unless you want one for another vehicle. It will handle any power (batteries) or the hottest motor you can throw in a rc. And it is not all that big. I was expecting it to be larger, but it was actually very easy and relatively small.

Waterproofing is nice as if you will be scale driving it, you will come across water or mud at some point. Peace of mind.
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:47 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I have the Tekin FXR 45T motor combo in my rig and it works great with no problems at all so far. But Holmes Hobbies stuff is going to be great stuff as well. I feel thier handwound motors are much better than the Tekin and put out more power too. Can't go wrong with either really. Go Holmes if you want top end gear, go Tekin if you want upper mid level gear that doesn't cost as much.
BadRockNoCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:51 PM   #9

I went with the HH BRXL, and i bought the waterproof model too. I want to order a motor too, probably look at getting the 35T once it is back in stock where i buy from.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:16 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Great choice for motor (35T). That on 3S batteries is a great combo. Something around 2,200 mah will give you 1.5 to 2 hours of run time!
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote