Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: what should i get wraith or honcho?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2011, 05:21 PM   #1
I joined the Band!

Default what should i get wraith or honcho?

what should i invest my money in a axial honcho or wraith just want ideas more than likely will be a wraith those things are the sickest scalers iv ever seen
87samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2011, 09:58 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Depends on whether you want slow-crawl and street legal scale or bashability at high speeds. Very different trucks.
There were a dozen Wraiths on the rocks I was at today and as far as slow speed crawling my SCX-10 was kicking butt on all but the most modified of them. On the other hand when they went down in the creek bed for a "Hammers" race I didn't have a hope in heck of keeping up.

Last edited by Mud Puppy; 08-14-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Mud Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:33 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

i thought u had a honcho
dodge12vcummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:28 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I have a honcho. And im getting a wraith. You got to get both. The wraith looks sick though.
2FAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:33 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

seems like the Wraith aint all what people are expecting out of it. Alot of people are still waiting for their pre-order/ back order and others have or already selling theirs in the classifieds....
Twiztid Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:20 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Just like Mud Puppy said, it depends on what your'e into. Comparing the two is like apples and oranges. If you are interested in building a kit, the honcho is your only option, but if you were leaning towards rtr I would go with the Wraith. Either way you can't go wrong. I think a lot of the people selling or parting thiers wraiths out, bought a couple from the get go and are looking to make a little denero while the gettins good.
cencal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:54 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Honcho for true scale.

Wraith for the more crawling action and scale feel.
MRCCRAWLER1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:57 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

i have both,and love to drive both of them.so you cant go wrong or your decision,but a built scx-10 looks more scale.
sloyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:22 AM   #9

I have yet to own an infamous "Wraith" but not in a rush to add one to the stable here.

I am curious though.
The internet between here, fleabay, Craigshouse and other forums are all flooded with the wheels and tires for sale or trade from the Wraiths...
Do they really perform so poorly that it is demanding an instant change?
Also... It seems the biggest "Brag" on the Wraith os the on demand power and drivability.... Yet 99% of the "take off" tires and wheels have the stock ESC & motor for sale right beside them?????

With that being said.... I have to wonder why I need a Wraith along side my Wreckluse? Possibly so I can replace plastic chassis pieces opposed to not needing to replace any on my steel tube chassis Wreckluse?

Granted the Wraith is the "New Thing out", but I still haven't seen it's draw for purchase except for the keeping up with the Jones's. I am admit I have had that "Want" to have one along with the rest of the cool dudes.... But the longer I go without one, the longer I wonder why I even want one? Especially after all the time and money it took to dial my wreckluse in.
THX_138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:43 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Well the Wraith isn't that fast our of the box. You should see TheJang's review of the Wraith over on URC. Overall he gave the truck positive marks, but it was slower then you'd expect (12mph iirc) and handled the speed extremely poorly. He has since done some drastic improvements to both it's speed and handling while maintaining it's crawling as part of a project but as far as I am concerned it looked like a dissappointment out of the box, however the potential is there.
federally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:48 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

The wraith need quite a bit of modding to be much of a crawler. The honcho IMO crawls much better. The wraith is WIDE and following lines of narrower rigs will be extremely challenging. I have both and quickly lost intrest in the wraith due to the pita to mod and maintain. My honcho gets much more use and is easier to mod and maintain. Again just my .02.

Really not fair to compare the two as they are in no way alike in their abilities or niche they fill.
SC Convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:45 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Honcho, and save enough to buy the Wraith kit when it hits the shelves, thats my plan.

The Honcho is actually a TON of fun. I thought Id be a little disappointed in the speed of it, but I don't even really notice it. Most of the time Im crawling as slow as I can go anyways. I haven't even had it outside yet either, don't have the body finished yet and am not running my BR-XL yet.
AG74683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:20 AM   #13
RCC Addict

with all the Wraiths forsale i makes me wonder if Axial rushed this product. my friend has one with a ton of cash into it and i dont see it doing more than my honcho. cool looking , yes but if i get one it will be the kitthat i can mod as i go.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:38 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I do like the innovations that came out with the wraith. The transmission (dig ready) , the driveshafts ( lightweight and can handle the abuse I put on them well), the easily accessible differentials ( if only the axle bodies were more narrow).

The wraith is a superb trail machine and makes a very durable basher. Just didn't fit my wants or needs. Hence my poor wraith sits in pieces much of it's drivetrain used on my honcho build.
SC Convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:03 PM   #15

I just bought the honcho kit and it was super fun building it. There is so many mods you can do to it, if you get the kit you can build it to do everything the wraith can do and MUCH more.
klcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:35 PM   #16
20K Club

I have 3 Honcho's and 2 Wraiths. The Wraith is the most fun I have had out of any of them.

Out of the box you can do a handful of FREE mods and get it to handle speed well. As far as crawling, the Wraith will out climb a Honcho with just basic gearing changes. The wheelbase advantage is a big difference. The tire clearance is also the major advantage over the two.

Nothing but my comp rigs see any drive time now that I have my Wraith ready to go.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:26 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Im trying to get my wife to buy me a scx-10 for my up coming B-Day. im new to crawling and wonderd if the scx-10 rtr truck would handle a 20 turn with the factory esc? the wraith comes with a 20t and looks fast enough to be fun, but the scx-10 is more for me i think. Just wanted to know if i could make the honcho into a rock racer simply by swaping the motor out?
PubCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:03 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I Love 1.9 rigs. but you cant compare a scx 10 to a wraith. they are 2 different animals. I love my wraith. and no its not 1/10 scale compared to a 1.9 rig. Its a big rig! But tons of fun!

Last edited by clayton78; 09-12-2011 at 07:18 PM.
clayton78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:11 PM   #19
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayton78 View Post
I Love 1.9 rigs. but you cant compare a scx 10 to a wraith. they are 2 different animals. I love my wraith. and no its not scale compared to a 1.9 rig. Its a big rig! But tons of fun!
The Wraith is more scale out of the box then 95% of the SCX10's out there. The tube cage with full interior with a much more scale looking axle are a big difference over the SCX10.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:18 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Sorry harley! I ment to say the scx10 is closer to 1/10 scale. and I agree with ya Its real sacle outta the box.
clayton78 is offline   Reply With Quote