Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Doing some tube work - what tube to use?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2011, 02:45 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Doing some tube work - what tube to use?

I'm looking to do some tube work on my scaler. I am new to the whole rc crawler/scaler scene and have decided that I am going to do some extra work on my new scaler as I wait for the other parts i need to complete the build to arrive.
With that said I would like to note that I plan to mig weld the tube & I am not planning to go too wild as this will be my 1st scale attempt (I have build a few 1:1 circle track race cars in the past so I do know how to build a complex one on a full scale).
My questions are more in regards to the actual type of tube that people are using. I am planning on using 3/16" & from what I can gather people use brake line for tubing (when not actually using it for the actual frame rails), but I was wondering what others use? it seems from what I can find that everyone referrs to it only as tube and not much detail into what it is exactly or where they got it from.
RNUOVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2011, 03:33 PM   #2
R.I.P. Chip

I use 3/16" bar from the hardware store. You'll have a pretty tough time mig'ing 3/16" brake line. The bar is a bit heavier, but it welds nicer, bends nicer, and takes a beating a lot better.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:03 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I'm off to the hardware store on the way home to see what I can find. I'm not to overly concerns about weight and more about structural integrity. One of my concerns with the brake line was it's strength and the face that I would have to be careful when welding it
RNUOVR is offline   Reply With Quote