Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Where to start with scaler!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2011, 08:40 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Where to start with scaler!

Alright i Wanna build a scaler and have 500 cash. i wanna do it from scratch where should i start? and if you could list a parts list that would be cool!!
08yfz45031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2011, 08:45 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

The best thing for you to do is go to the 1.9 or 2.2 scaler and look around you'll find all the info you need,that how i find ideas and the part you need
MR.VERTICAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:23 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

This is a pretty hard question to answer without any details like what tools you already have, what you want to do with the scaler (like class 1,2 or 3) or what parts you already have. Ill give you my advice though.

First buy a star, this will give you access to the classifieds. Second I would buy a trail ready honcho and sell what you don't want in the for sale section like the body, tube bed, sliders etc. I would go this route to save some money, it gets a little expensive when you piece everything together. Honchos are very capable out of the box and there are still tons of things you can scratch build to make it your own.
spookyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:35 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I agree with the Honcho. SCX10 is a great platform to start with. You say you want to build from scratch, some would interpret that as machining your chassis, etc. but even if you buy a chassis & start adding to it, it would be hard to keep it under $500 & you may end up with a bunch of parts & not able to enjoy it because your budget went dry. Like spooky7 said, your best bet for that prices range is RTR SCX10 for $300, take it apart & start replacing & modding as your budget allows.

Also, a lot of custom rigs get built over time. I've got $1500 in couple of mine, but I couldn't stomach all that in one shot, I've upgrade over a few years.

Check out RPP Hobby & RC4WD too. you can see how pricing goes building them up from individual prices.

Last edited by DRW-FJ40; 08-26-2011 at 12:39 PM.
DRW-FJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:00 PM   #5
No idea what I'm doing

If you don't have a truck right now, I'd suggest you start with a kit first. Build it, drive it, enjoy it and then figure out what you like most about it. Tear it apart down to the axles and transmission and rebuild your idea of what you want.

Building from scratch without a plan ends up with a half finished truck sitting on your shelf. Trust me, I know
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:55 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post

Building from scratch without a plan ends up with a half finished truck sitting on your shelf. Trust me, I know
Don't we all

The people on here have given some good advice. Some other things to consider is the whole package if you are starting from scratch. Like money for batteries, charger, beer (if your old enough, it makes builds more fun). Spare parts, Radio controller, etc. The kit is just the initial thing. But once you have a good charger, radio and many batteries can be used in many vehicles, that cost does not have to be a part of every new vehicle. But quality versions of those things will make all of you Rc-ing more enjoyable.

A good way to go would be an SCX10 Honcho kit. They are about $250 many places online and are very complete. They just require electronics. And what you will need for that will depend on if you have anything useable now.

Just post some info on what you have that may be of use. And a bit more info on what you truly want from your rc. What terrain, planning on running with others or solo. What do they run, do you like any of those vehicles? What is bringing you to want to do this? Do you enjoy some version of off roading that you want to duplicate? Do you want all out performance or realistic looks? All things to consider.
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:44 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

i always messed with r/c's and want a little mud bogger lol. its either this or build a real one and sell the quad. is there any rigs for sale in the classifieds that maybe some one could send my way until i can get the star?
Old 08-27-2011, 09:42 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

[QUOTE=08yfz45031;3250753]i always messed with r/c's and want a little mud bogger lol. its either this or build a real one and sell the quad. is there any rigs for sale in the classifieds that maybe some one could send my way until i can get the star?[/QUOTE

man dont sell your quad and get a honcho or a wraith and them you be on your way of some you may like to do with it (rock racer, mud bogger or crawler ) you can go any direccion once you get one !!! good look
k20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:11 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I'll tell you this...starting with a Honcho kit, Ive probably spent over your 500 cash limit (Dunno, dont want to add it up, Im too scared).

That said, building from scratch will be very hard with a 500 dollar budget.
AG74683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:43 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

[QUOTE=k20man;3251513]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08yfz45031 View Post
i always messed with r/c's and want a little mud bogger lol. its either this or build a real one and sell the quad. is there any rigs for sale in the classifieds that maybe some one could send my way until i can get the star?[/QUOTE

man dont sell your quad and get a honcho or a wraith and them you be on your way of some you may like to do with it (rock racer, mud bogger or crawler ) you can go any direccion once you get one !!! good look

wise person, i think im gonna get the honcho and then get tires. and a few other upgrades maybe axles and body. what else will be a good investment?
Old 08-28-2011, 09:57 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Depends on if you are getting the kit version or RTR. If you get the kit then go a few ways depending on where you want to end up. If you are going kit and want at most a 1.9 tire rig then:

Servo: Hitec 645mg servo. About $30 and enough for most 1.9 tires.
ESC: I would never recommend anything other then Holmes BRXL for any rig waterproofed. about $110.

Do you have a radio and charger? Those two will put you over $500. If you have a radio then good to go with possible another receiver. If not the an Spektrum DX3C. good basic 3 channel for about $110.

Charger can run $50 on to way up from there. What you will need will depend on batteries, etc. get something that can balance lipo's as NIMH, etc is not long for this world in RC. Lipo batteries work way better and are lighter.

So if you have a radio and charger you could get a Honcho kit for $250 or less many places. Add some RC4WD boggers on the stock rims ($50) new total ($<300)

Steel oudrives for transmission ($10) new total ($310)

Pack of traxxas long shafts part number (1953) 5 of each male and femal shaft that are stronger then stock and plenty of extras. ($10) new total ($320)

Any 27 or 35 turn motor will be good overall for mud. Faster motor will be much harder on parts so those will be a good start. (aprox $20-$40) New total ($340-$360)

That leaves you a bunch of cash for a different body if desired, batteries, etc. Not having a radio or charger or batteries will obviously run up the price. But if you have those you can upgrade or change as desired.

Getting into a 2.2 rig could change things and run up the price or not. But the larger/fatter tires need much stronger servo's and some other parts to be reliable. Have some thin oil to hit the vehicle bearings after a mud run. When building the kit make sure you heavily grease the insides of the transmission and axles to keep mud and water out. Then go beat the snot out of it!
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote