Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: grease

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 07:19 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default grease

was wondering if any one has tried using a heavy duty machine grease in either a moa or shafty tranny or diff. i only use for crawling
weeble163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2011, 07:22 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Yes
demonoid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:27 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Contact Gearscience (peter) he is the hook up on crawler grease

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/membe...ence-21667.htm
BLKXJ 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:42 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I'm sure it would work fine. Most guys just use a good quality Heavy Duty grease. Some greases will react to plastic from what I've heard and some get quite thick in colder weather too.

I've used Amsoil Heavy Duty grease and Mobil 1 grease for a few years now without problems in my berg.

I'm getting ready to try some GearScience grease that I got today at a comp today. Should work pretty well from what I've heard!
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:29 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I've been using john deere general purpose heavy duty implement grease that I get from the dealership in my nitro buggy and Crawler diff, working good so far and pretty cheap.
mdchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:34 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeble163 View Post
was wondering if any one has tried using a heavy duty machine grease in either a moa or shafty tranny or diff. i only use for crawling
I use the red n tacky grease but lately I havent used anything on my gears and they have shown little wear to this point. Just use something decent and dont overthink this part of the build.
DRCrawlGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:20 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I've tried several different greases from a few vendors here...rocksmith gearjelly was my favorite...then I tried VP star lube, but it slings off too easy in my opinion so you end up reapplying very often. I have been using Gear Science gel for the last couple months and it's definitely my new favorite! This stuff sticks to the gears like nothing else I've used.
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:17 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Lucas Red and Tacky works well for my uses. And for like $10 you get a huge tube that will last years!
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:14 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
Lucas Red and Tacky works well for my uses. And for like $10 you get a huge tube that will last years!
x2, R&T works great.

I spent five years as a facility manager for a manufacturing plant. People are way over thinking this grease thing. A good quality grease is all you need. Spending 15 bux on a tiny little makeup canister of grease is insane. This idea that they are superior is in peoples heads. Grease doesn't need to be layered on thick to be effective. Ideally you want a nice thin layer that lubricates the moving parts and nothing more. Having too much or a grease that is too sticky creates resistance.

As far as grease slinging off this will happen to the excess and is perfectly acceptable. It's called centrifugal force. It doesn't mean squat as far as a grease's ability to lubricate properly and protect your parts.

I know several people in the lubrication industry who are chemical engineers and this is where I go to for my information. One of these works for Royal Purple. No offense to the vendors selling high dollar grease but I trust these guys over all else.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:36 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSP View Post
As far as grease slinging off this will happen to the excess and is perfectly acceptable. It's called centrifugal force. It doesn't mean squat as far as a grease's ability to lubricate properly and protect your parts.
Maybe not but it does make working on your rig a lot easier...I'm no chemical engineere so I just go with what I see works to suit my needs/desires.
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote