RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Newbie General (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/)
-   -   wraith or honcho?????? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/342503-wraith-honcho.html)

gabbyb3 10-15-2011 06:59 AM

wraith or honcho??????

ok.. figuredout what im doing.. gonna get ridof the bruiser and get either a wraith or honcho.. but was looking for some feedback of wich to get? pros and cons would be great. as i was just switched to nights thanks to the good old nyc mta's purchase of 800+ new busses i was looking for one rtr to play with on break... any help please!!!!!

AX10wannabe 10-15-2011 11:06 AM

since nobody else has replied i will.. haha..

it depends on what your doing... the wraith is more of a trail rig then a crawler but can be made into a crawler.. the honcho is a crawler and is meant for the rocks.. the honcho is a 1.9 and the wraith is a 2.2 so it depends on what size of tire you want.

i personally have a honcho because the wraith wasnt out yet and i love it.. few little tweaks here and there and i can play "follow the leader" with ax10's. eventually i will buy a wraith and slap some narrower axles under it.

ero 10-15-2011 11:49 AM

I have 2 scx10s my bro has a wraith. They are 2 completely different rigs. Certain situations his wraith works better, sometimes mine works better. Really depends on what you want to do with it. Maybe but both. Good luck in your decision. "thumbsup"

ero 10-15-2011 11:50 AM

I meant, maybe buy both. 8)

gabbyb3 10-15-2011 12:51 PM

thanks

i think im leaning toward the wraith.. wish me luck in trying to sell the bruiser...

hoghead5150 10-15-2011 07:47 PM

i was in the same boat. here's what i did. first is look at what you will be running on. the honcho has 1.9 wheels, the wraith 2.2's. this is actually a big tire difference, the wraith having much taller tires. you can put 2.2's on the honcho pretty easy, but that's money! the wraith is longer and wider. if you are running in confined areas (indoors) the smaller honcho would be better. that's about it.

for me, our crawling is on larger rocks. the taller tires are needed! the longer wheelbase helps on steeper climbs, and the added width helps on sidehills. for me the wraith was a better setup. i've crawled with some honcho's, scx10's, and ax-10's. all work good, but the wraith fits me and my driving style better. i have yet to find an obstacle the honcho can do that the wraith can't, but i've ran into several the wraith can do that the honcho cant.

all this being said, i doubt many here are running stock rigs. most are highly modified and more purpose built. mine has different servo, titanium lower links, steering, aluminum c hubs, knuckles, beadlocks, tsl tires, lower gearing, lowered ride height, 35 turn motor.....

AsILayDying 10-15-2011 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoghead5150 (Post 3329424)
i was in the same boat. here's what i did. first is look at what you will be running on. the honcho has 1.9 wheels, the wraith 2.2's. this is actually a big tire difference, the wraith having much taller tires. you can put 2.2's on the honcho pretty easy, but that's money! the wraith is longer and wider. if you are running in confined areas (indoors) the smaller honcho would be better. that's about it.

for me, our crawling is on larger rocks. the taller tires are needed! the longer wheelbase helps on steeper climbs, and the added width helps on sidehills. for me the wraith was a better setup. i've crawled with some honcho's, scx10's, and ax-10's. all work good, but the wraith fits me and my driving style better. i have yet to find an obstacle the honcho can do that the wraith can't, but i've ran into several the wraith can do that the honcho cant.

all this being said, i doubt many here are running stock rigs. most are highly modified and more purpose built. mine has different servo, titanium lower links, steering, aluminum c hubs, knuckles, beadlocks, tsl tires, lower gearing, lowered ride height, 35 turn motor.....

You have made some good points but I can bring you to where I crawl and scale and there will be many lines or obstacles that the Wraith can not do what either one of my SCX10's can do. Sometimes that extra width is a killer. But each vehicle has its goods and its bads. If you want to make a realistic looking rig , go with a Honcho. There are so many different routes you can take with its design and base. But in the long run its up to you, and what you want.

PS: You can get 2.2 tires and wheels cheap just watch the Classifieds. I wouldnt throw that into a reason for not getting it. A Wraith is also a good chunk more money out the door. There are tons of deals on Honchos and Dingos right now. Good luck.

Mud Puppy 10-15-2011 08:24 PM

if you are more into control then go Honcho.
If throttle is your solution to obstacles then go with the wraith.

hoghead5150 10-15-2011 08:44 PM

i agree with you. around here there really isn't a "line" to follow. we crawl on the mountains (1-1 crawler trails), ditches full of rocks, and such. not really many tight squeezes. that is what i was trying to get to the original poster. you have to look at the terrain you are going to run on and then make your decision.

the problems the honcho's have here (that i've seen anyway) is the shorter wheelbase makes some of the steeper climbs harder. this combined with the sidehill ledges we crawl on usually sends them over on their tops. the wraith seems to do better. altho!! in stock form the wraith is on its back more than a 2 dollar hooker!!

all the comments about wraiths are speed demons and don't crawl, and the honcho is a crawler are sterotypes.

in stock form the wraith is fast. the honcho slower. neither is designed to be a true CRAWLER in stock for. the honcho is more scale. the wraith more of a tube buggy and sorta scaleish. the biggest part of this hobby is the modding of your rig. you can mod pretty much any rig to be a crawler, or a speed demon. to confirm this just swing over. my wraith (with 35t motor) is a hell of alot slower and a better crawler than one of my buddies honcho with tekin rs brushless!!

gabbyb3 10-16-2011 07:37 PM

i wish

married 4 kids.. 2 new rigs + weeks of nagging!!!!
Quote:

Originally Posted by ero (Post 3328828)
I meant, maybe buy both. 8)

Atasnailspace 10-19-2011 11:30 PM

Total newb

I'm pretty much in the same situation; I will buy one of the two, but am unsure of which one. My plan is to build an r/c that I can have a number of different wheel/tire and body combinations. Examples: Jeep Jk body with 2.2 or 32 ford with 1.9. The wraith is compelling because of its speed, but I don't know if it is possible to put different bodies on the chassis. Has anyone done that yet? The SCX-10 can accept different body styles, but it seems (from what I've read) that it requires modifications to make it faster. This is going from what i've read online and not from real world experience. Is the cost outrageous to make an SCX-10 into a faster machine?

Also the wraith looks (from internets videos etc.. ) that it can take more of a beating than an SCX-10. Taking air etc. Are the SCX-10s similar to the wraith in bashability?

AG74683 10-20-2011 12:14 AM

Where will you be wheeling? Wraith seems to work better for flat out speed and some crawling.

Honcho is more geared towards flat out crawling. If I had to do it over, Id pick up the Wraith kit, but it was unavailable at the time I was picking up my kit.

Curious about the MTA bus deal, sounds like an interesting deal, why the 800+, new plans in the works, maybe some sort of rapid bus transit? Sorry, Im a town planning major so that type of stuff makes me excited :lmao:

Atasnailspace 10-20-2011 12:31 AM

I own ten acres of forest with mountain bike trails, our yard has many rock features as borders for gardens and terraces ( it's on a hillside) I will use it mainly at the house, but will take it camping every chance I get.
Our son can't get enough of r/c ( he's four) so we will be building this as a project. We are gearheads so we want to have more than a few different body styles. A jeep Jk, dodge 2500, vw bug, etc. The list of bodies the wants to build grows by the day.
The more I see of the wraith, it seems that it is the likely candidate for speed/ bashability, but not for the ease of different body styles. Can you take small jumps repeatedly with an scx-10 without major breakdowns? I am not planning on outright thrashing the machine, but definitely putting it through it's paces. HELP on a decision would be appreciated. Input from scx-10 owners on how much abuse they can take would really help the final decision.

R/CMaxximus5.0 10-20-2011 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AX10wannabe (Post 3328777)
the wraith is more of a trail rig then a crawler but can be made into a crawler.. the honcho is a crawler and is meant for the rocks.

Wrong. The honcho is a scale/trail rig. The Wraith is a "rock racer" but can crawl a bit too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoghead5150 (Post 3329518)
the problems the honcho's have here (that i've seen anyway) is the shorter wheelbase makes some of the steeper climbs harder. this combined with the sidehill ledges we crawl on usually sends them over on their tops. the wraith seems to do better. altho!! in stock form the wraith is on its back more than a 2 dollar hooker!!

all the comments about wraiths are speed demons and don't crawl, and the honcho is a crawler are sterotypes.

in stock form the wraith is fast. the honcho slower. neither is designed to be a true CRAWLER in stock for. the honcho is more scale. the wraith more of a tube buggy and sorta scaleish. the biggest part of this hobby is the modding of your rig. you can mod pretty much any rig to be a crawler, or a speed demon. to confirm this just swing over. my wraith (with 35t motor) is a hell of alot slower and a better crawler than one of my buddies honcho with tekin rs brushless!!

True. Either rig can be made to go fast or crawl, But neither is a true Crawler... If that is what you want get a XR10, or even a ax10.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atasnailspace (Post 3336823)
I'm pretty much in the same situation; I will buy one of the two, but am unsure of which one. My plan is to build an r/c that I can have a number of different wheel/tire and body combinations. Examples: Jeep Jk body with 2.2 or 32 ford with 1.9. The wraith is compelling because of its speed, but I don't know if it is possible to put different bodies on the chassis. Has anyone done that yet? The SCX-10 can accept different body styles, but it seems (from what I've read) that it requires modifications to make it faster. This is going from what i've read online and not from real world experience. Is the cost outrageous to make an SCX-10 into a faster machine?

A new motor like the 20t from the Wraith is a cheap way to make it faster, also play with gearing till you find what you like.

Also the wraith looks (from internets videos etc.. ) that it can take more of a beating than an SCX-10. Taking air etc. Are the SCX-10s similar to the wraith in bashability?

The wraith would make a better basher, but it will need upgrades, you will breaK things.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atasnailspace (Post 3336893)
I own ten acres of forest with mountain bike trails, our yard has many rock features as borders for gardens and terraces ( it's on a hillside) I will use it mainly at the house, but will take it camping every chance I get.
Our son can't get enough of r/c ( he's four) so we will be building this as a project. We are gearheads so we want to have more than a few different body styles. A jeep Jk, dodge 2500, vw bug, etc. The list of bodies the wants to build grows by the day.
The more I see of the wraith, it seems that it is the likely candidate for speed/ bashability, but not for the ease of different body styles. Can you take small jumps repeatedly with an scx-10 without major breakdowns? I am not planning on outright thrashing the machine, but definitely putting it through it's paces. HELP on a decision would be appreciated. Input from scx-10 owners on how much abuse they can take would really help the final decision.

The shock mounts on the SCX-10 are a weak point and break easy. Alum replacments are available. From my experience the Wraith likes to nose dive when you jump it...

THW 10-22-2011 06:06 PM

Honcho for crawling, Wraith is a better all around toy. I like my Wraith more than my VXL Stampede.

Jay-Em 10-22-2011 06:48 PM

I have the luxury of owning both. If You like technical, precise driving, having to think about your line, I'd go for the Honcho.

If You like outright bashing, the Wraith is Your ticket. Slam a Titan 550 in it and have fun!(or go completely crazy with a 8,5 turns LRP stock brushless and a 18tooth pinion)

Tip for getting te Wraith to function in tight spaces: replace the front locker with HPI diff-gears. You'll loose a bit of crawling prowess, but the steering will improve quite a bit, especially when having to maneuvre tight spaces. It also gets a little less "tippy" somehow. The Wraith really really likes spending time on it's back.:lmao:

DRCrawlGood 10-22-2011 07:04 PM

I like the wraith its pretty much a jack of all trades. Since its the new toy on the block its getting all the goodies treatment as well.

BLKXJ 96 10-22-2011 09:05 PM

I have both, and IMO one is just as cool as the other. As far as a faster bashing rig..Wraith hands down. If you want something to look more like the 1:1 truck you drive every day SCX-10. To be honest the only reason I have a SCX-10 is because Pro-Line came out with a Cherokee body....:mrgreen:

VP Dan 10-23-2011 12:24 AM

i have both and my wraith will out crawl my honcho all day long yes it is fully upgraded with all the goodies but so is my honcho

gabbyb3 10-25-2011 10:38 AM

wow

thanks for all the input... just hoping my bruiser sells.. went yesterday and put a deposit on a wraith{ wife's gonna kill me.. oh weellllll}.. so i will now have both... amazed how much fun i am having going this slow... and to thing... all those years and all i wanted was fast.... wowzies!!!! now im grabbing rocks from the woods to build my own course behind my garage...