Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Red Cat RS10 Or Maxstone 10 for new crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2011, 08:49 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Red Cat RS10 Or Maxstone 10 for new crawler

hey everyone, i have heard alot about hte maxstone, as its an axial knock off, but i like the idea of moa on the redcat, its going to be a Christmas present for my girlfriend,

i like the idea of the redcat better becuse its moa, so i wont have to worry about axles,

but i like the maxstone 10 because of the replacement parts offered, including axial parts

the redcat is fm transmitter, the maxstone is 2.4ghz

me and my bud have scx10's that we are doing light crawling with, mostly stock, and im trying to find something that will fit my budget thats not going to break every time we take it out, i might get a proline body for it and paint it up for her too, not sure yet,

thanks for the advice!
stompjrkz400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2011, 09:51 PM   #2
www.ottsix.com

The Redcat RS10-XR has a 2.4G radio and I found one for a good price for you http://www.zno-rc.com/store/index.ph...ct_detail&p=37
My first rig was an RS10 (they didn't have the RS10-XR at the time) and I still have it. Also, you can get the motor mount upgrade from ZNO-RC and some better tires, and you're ready to comp MOA style for under $200!

Also, the Redcat has a subforum on this site which is full of great ideas and facts on the rig.
...There is no such forum for the Maxstone for very good reasons I'm sure.

Last edited by crawl-o-matic; 11-06-2011 at 10:04 PM.
crawl-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:59 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Don't waste your time on the maxstone total pile of sh&%... I made the mistake...
Hacksaw707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:11 AM   #4
Gold Star Baby!

I had an RS10..... And take it for what its worth...... They are a inexpensive. But you get what you pay for. The motors are way under.powered and I burned up two of them within a month, the stock ESC went up in smoke, the controler and receiver is totally junk. After I replace all of that and upgraded yhe shocks the wheels and tires, electronics. I could have got myself a XR10. I sold it and took a huge hit..... I bought myself a good quality crawler and that was the best thing I've done. I regret wasting the time and money. Not a very good hop up aftermarket for them so unless you can build and fab up everything you'll need then don't wast your time. There are a lot of way better, higher quality crawlers out there for a little more money. Either pay now or pay when everything goes tits up on you. Either way.... Put you.money where its going to.count. would she enjoy a good quality rc that she can take out and have fun with or have a an rc that everytime she takes out breaks down on her. It's not a matter of if its going to go out, its a matter of when.
redrokin00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrokin00XJ View Post
There are a lot of way better, higher quality crawlers out there for a little more money.
So what are the better ones for a little more money then? Im curious about this as well, from what Ive seen in the 150 dollar RTR price range they seem to be relatively similar you do get what you pay for and certain things break faster than others as well. However I know you're not going to get a Venom Creeper or SCX10 for under 200, and as far as I know they're some of the top ones out there.
92xjlaredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:40 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I loved my rs10 for my first rig For the price you can't beat it!
TheREDCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:43 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Also I have heard nothing but horrible things about the maxstone 10
TheREDCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:00 AM   #8
RCC Addict

You are better off skipping both and getting a used shafty. A losi LNC/LCC or AX10 will both out perform redcat or maxstone.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:19 AM   #9
RCC Addict

The newest Redcat RS10-XT now come with a 3ch 2.4ghz RX/TX from the factory. Our pricing remains the same with this addition as well.

Upgrading the stock servos should be a priority, and likely the 1st change you make. These are a nice beginners crawler, and many of the Axial aftermarket parts will also fit the RS10.
CPE MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:35 AM   #10
RCC Addict

the rs10 is a good starting moa crawler
but it does take a lot of work to upgrade it
it is great to learn and to try different things but for just crawling
spend the extra money for something with better features

hard to beat the xr10 for out of the box at just over 200 dollars

my rs10 has been through 6 different chassis/suspension changes
great fun but i like to fabricate
cabron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:00 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Looks like its the rs10 its for my girlfriend it doesn't need to crawl the best. It needs to be strong. She lacks throttle control
Old 11-07-2011, 12:12 PM   #12

go to the gorsale section of this forum just the other day there was a losi compcrawler roller for 80.00 all youd need is to go ho exceed or hobbyparts order a cheep esc and motor and radio and your into a great rig for like 150 less if your slick. hell ive got my backup rig lnc brushles chisels
2.4ghz radio battery charger etc the whole shebang that id part with for 150.00 just to see you not make the mistake of getting a lesser crawler for your girlfriend. for one reason. shes only going to think its fun to drive not to work on. so if you stuffs broke all the time she wont get into it. my wifes running moa losi and loves it.

pm me if you need more info on what youd want from hobby partz or the like. also if your determined to buy a lower crawler. look at VENOM CREEPER my dads running it tons of fun to assemble and cheap. that being said ive got the maxstone 18th crawler and like it. i even run the front axle from one on my good mrc for the overdrive. ofcourse also ive only got 225 into my xr10. hobbyking brushless outrunner motors and escs novak dig. gt3b works awesome. but if your just running an scx10 your not into serious comp crawling more bashing or scale so go buy that lcc in for sale
jereosbou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:40 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Out of the 2 you listed...I suggest the RS10. As it was said before, you do get what you pay for and if you understand from the beginning that the rig is an entry level rig and cannot compare to nicer rigs out of the box, you'll probably enjoy it. Another rig I would suggest for fairly low cost is a Losi MRC. You can get the rollers for around $70 now, then the electronics wouldn't be much more than the cost you would spend on one of the other 2 rigs. Tons of aftermarket for those little guys too.

Either that, or do like was suggested before and pick up a used rig.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:01 PM   #14
www.ottsix.com

Rigs (axles) I own:

RS10
Venom
Losi CC
RC4WD Scaler
Axial AX10
Bully

Of all of these, I feel the RS10 is the way to go for someone just starting out and who wants to MOA comp on a budget. I beat the living daylights out of mine and the axles never busted and preformed well. Once she gets her comp legs and more money to spend, of course there are a ton of high end MOA axles to choose from out there.
crawl-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:46 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksaw707 View Post
Don't waste your time on the maxstone total pile of sh&%... I made the mistake...
my first start in this hobby is a stone 10 never a real problem other then my own oop's still run parts of it on my current rig! what went wrong with yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheREDCAT View Post
Also I have heard nothing but horrible things about the maxstone 10
really ? there are few threads on here about them and most say it is a good bang for the buck (the people that really run one).

now i have rs10 axles under my rig it is a great choice for a starter rig just like the stone 10 but if you do have the extra cash just laying around then yes get a better built rig.

but i will tell you the only things i found myself changing on the stone was the same stuff i would have changed on any other rig i would have bought!

and i ran 3s lipos on both rigs. motors and axles still held up

maybe it is the drivers and not the trucks fault <sometimes>

check my build thread for a history on my stone 10
jokers_toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:11 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I had the redcat super for bit and seemed like a decent rig. I gave it to a friend in the city. I was wondering if anyone has one these. 1/8Th Mad Torque Rock Crawler Ready to Run (Orange)

Kinda fits the topic. Its cheap, I think I saw a write up in one the mag's but cant recall...
rockeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

pretty good write up here
e's ExMT
MudboyNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:58 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

funny enough i went with the maxstone 16, i have a nice wrangler body that will fit great, and already have motor and servo upgrade, also its running 1.9s just like the losi mrc, hopfully all goes well
Old 11-14-2011, 03:23 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Smile rockslid

i got a suber rock sld and a newbee at this but trying to build a 1/10 from scarch love my 1/8 and old phycaly choling man so move slow onlt left hand works so installed a screw in steering wheel to operate with thumb perfect for starter no stopping that i'vs found but i might not get to some of stuff you guys do..
Quote:
Originally Posted by stompjrkz400 View Post
hey everyone, i have heard alot about hte maxstone, as its an axial knock off, but i like the idea of moa on the redcat, its going to be a Christmas present for my girlfriend,

i like the idea of the redcat better becuse its moa, so i wont have to worry about axles,

but i like the maxstone 10 because of the replacement parts offered, including axial parts

the redcat is fm transmitter, the maxstone is 2.4ghz

me and my bud have scx10's that we are doing light crawling with, mostly stock, and im trying to find something that will fit my budget thats not going to break every time we take it out, i might get a proline body for it and paint it up for her too, not sure yet,

thanks for the advice!
grave 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:45 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by grave 1 View Post
i got a suber rock sld and a newbee at this but trying to build a 1/10 from scarch love my 1/8 and old phycaly choling man so move slow onlt left hand works so installed a screw in steering wheel to operate with thumb perfect for starter no stopping that i'vs found but i might not get to some of stuff you guys do..

WHAT ??????? ....................
jokers_toys is offline   Reply With Quote