Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Axial wraith or scx10???? Newbie!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2011, 06:34 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Axial wraith or scx10???? Newbie!!!!

I'm having a very hard time setting my heart on which one I am to buy . What do u guys think? I havent bought neither yet but would like some feed back thanks alot
jhop1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2011, 06:54 PM   #2

I don't know anything about the scx10, but I just bought a Wraith and I do have to say, it is sweet! I did have a complication with one of the front links being broke out of the box, but other than that, I have no complaints. It needs some upgrades before I take on anything too challenging, but it is a pretty sweet truck overall.
mamcleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:04 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

how much will you want to spend right out of the box to fix broken parts?

I have over $550 in my wraith and thats just replacing broken parts. I also have about the same in my scx-10 only because of parts ive decided to upgrade. the Wraith is much more prone to break with a fast motor and 2.2's.

IMO its entirely up to you, they are both very fun and pretty capable rigs, but if I had to have just one it'd be a 1.9 tire'd scx-10.
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:19 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Do you have any other RC cars? I decided to go with the SCX10 because I already have short course race trucks (2wd and 4x4) so I wanted something different...and I wanted something that would be fun to tinker with without having to fix it all the time. The wraith just seemed too prone to breaking from bashing, less like a crawler and more like a basher (revo like rig) that doesn't really fit into any other category.
1tenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:18 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

all depends on how scale you want to go the scx10 is the best platform to build a scale truck any way you want. the wraith is a fun truck to bash around but i wouldnt call it a scaler more of a rock racer and your limited with its looks due to the buggy type chassis. if your looking for fun first get the wraith but if your looking for the build and scale aspect get the scx10
cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:50 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

What do you want to do with it? Crawl, scale, bash or what?

If you are looking for an all around all terrian play rig that can do a bit of everything then I say Wraith.

If you want to scale then SCX-10.

If you want to crawl I wouldn't recommend the Wraith, there are many other rigs better suited for dedicated crawling. My Losi Night Crawler will blow the doors off the Wraith in the rocks. It would take a lot of upgrades to get the Wraith up to par as a crawler and yet it would still be too wide IMO.
GrimJeeper91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:36 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I have a wraith and my buddy came over with his scx10. I had the pleasure of driving both so I got a first hand comparison. My conclusion is both are cool as hell! The scx10 looks more scale and has a more scale feel. It isn't as fast (modified in sure can be) and it was harder to drive over obsticles the Wraith flew over. That didn't make it less fun it made it more of a challange. You have to look harder to get the Wraith stuck. If I had the money I would have both but I am very happy with my Wraith.
R/CMARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:52 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for all the responses , I'm lookin to have a multipurpose rig but mostly for flexing out and stuff, I think I will go with te scx10 honcho, more options for build I assume , and crawler around London ky?
Old 11-21-2011, 08:21 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I have a wraith and I had bought the SCX dingo for my son. They are both fun but I like tinkering with the SCX a bit more. Like most others with the Wraith though, I plan on dropping a few more bucks into it to make it a little bit quicker and more durable.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:25 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Both are fun. i really havnt got to wheel the wraith yet but it looks very nice. the scx10 is capable of all above what you said and then some. Take some time and read some of the build threads in the scx10 section to get some ideas! Welcome to the crawler world
PhantomRS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:43 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

I have both and would say the scx10 is more for a trail/scale /comp rig. mine goes where 2.2 comp rigs go, its well set up and lots of money is dumped into it. The wraith on the other hand is cool to but it has a completely different usage. Its a basher. Its fast! Its got a good servo jr 8711, vanquish links, holmes hobbies 20 turn motor, stock speed control(for now) 2.2 tsls. On xr10 wheels. What im gettin at is yull have to spend some money at upgrades to have a truck thats not gunna brake. You can upgrade it when you can afford it but, the scx10 honcho( stock kit old one,w/beadlocks! )would be my choise of vehicles!
im gunna crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:17 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Haha and that's the one I ordered last night, rtr with battery an charger, I have a guy wanting to sell me a ax10 for a good price decked out, so I'd have a nice crawler that way to
Old 11-22-2011, 09:28 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

ive built my wraith to be a crawler, and when setup properly is far more capable then a scx10. i can do things like this:

Axial wraith badlands rock - YouTube

its your choice, i have 2 scx10's and love running them. when its scale, i use my honcho with a 55 turn and a 16 tooth. when its something i wanna try and get up and over thats much more serious, its my wraith with a 18.5 novak and a 400 oz-in servo on 2s lipo.

if your on a budget, stick with the scx10's. my wraith is half done at $1100 invested.

Last edited by OntarioCrawler; 11-22-2011 at 09:31 AM.
OntarioCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:52 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

wraith looks fragile in vids i saw
Mysterious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:04 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterious View Post
wraith looks fragile in vids i saw
It's far from fragile, but with more than stock power it breaks, put $100 in upgrades and its bullet proof!

Last edited by 2500hdon37s; 11-22-2011 at 11:08 AM.
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:57 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Scx10!
clayton78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:15 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

what r some mods i should/need to do for my sake and a crawlers sake? links and prices would be awesome
Old 03-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #18

Default Re: Axial wraith or scx10???? Newbie!!!!

I have both a Wraith and SCX10. The SCX10 is a better crawler, but the Wraith has a lot more power to spin the tires. Both are a lot of fun. I will say out of the box they can both crawl. And I had nothing broken on either.

The suspension links and steering links are bad, replace with aluminum and they are good to go.
blackn0va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:50 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

It really depends on what kind of rc you wanna get into. A wraith would be perfect for bashing around in the backyard and other open areas, but if you want to get into scaling, you can make an scx-10 look pretty darn good and they handle off road scale obstacles pretty well out of the box. It all depends on what kind of driving you want to do.
Snowwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:09 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Check out the wraith section they can be made into a really awesome scaler
chevysucks is offline   Reply With Quote