Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: deadbolt vs honcho

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2015, 02:41 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default deadbolt vs honcho

Hey guys so I was really wanting the honcho scx10 but after some looking I'm seeing that the deadbolt actually has some better things like waterproof esc stronger driveshafts etc?? But my question is is can I later put the honcho body and bed on the deadbolt? I would much rather spend $50 on upgrades than buying a rig for $50 more and have it be not as good if that makes sense? And then deal with the body later Cuz I really don't like the deadbolt body. Unless I'm wrong on the deadbolt having better features. thanks for any input
TIREBUSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2015, 02:47 PM   #2

Default Re: deadbolt vs honcho

Yeah you would be able to do it, although I'm not for sure if you'd have I lengthen the wheelbase or not, because I don't know the deadbolt SCX10 wb.....
Just_Another_Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 02:50 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Yep wheelbase, that's it. The extra stuff like 32p gears, and driveshafts are nice upgrades.
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:57 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Deadbolt Wheelbase: 12"
Honcho Wheelbase: 12.3"

I have a Deadbolt. I wanted to run a 12.3" wheelbase body. When I upgraded to metal links, I bought links for 12.3" wheelbase. Worked out great.

The Deadbolt ESC is waterproof, but is not the Castle Creations made programmable Honcho ESC.

The Deadbolt drive shafts are a big improvement over the Honcho. The new ones are super tough.

The Deadbolt Servo is an improvement, but still not a very serious servo. When you go to metal steering linkage, I believe, the Honcho and Deadbolt servos will need replacing.

The 32 pitch spur and pinion are much tougher than the Honcho's 48 pitch gears.

If you start with a Deadbolt and buy the clear Honcho body w/rear bed, you can paint it whatever color you want and it comes with front light buckets.

Last edited by rcntncrawler; 02-25-2015 at 04:01 PM.
rcntncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:46 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the input guys. Rcntncrawler I've seen the castle creation comment about the esc on different vehicles but I don't know what that means? does it just mean it's programmable? And if so programmable for??
Old 02-26-2015, 10:11 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

It's my understanding that the AE-2 ESC is made by Castle Creations (a well respected name in RC Electronics) and is basically a Castle Sidewinder ESC, but the Axial is brushed instead of brushless.

The programming would require a Castle Link to connect the AE-2 to a computer, through USB. I don't own the AE-2, but I would guess that you can adjust "drag brake" (how quickly the vehicle stops after releasing the throttle), lipo cutoff, and maybe turn down the output on your reverse (so reverse won't be too fast). However, I don't know for sure.

I own a Castle Link. I use it to program my Castle BECs, and I have three of them, so the Castle Link has been a good investment.

The AE-5 has some programmability, but it is done simply by moving around a couple of jumper plugs. One of the jumpers is to choose between lipo and NiMh batteries, and the other is to change the drag brake setting (3 positions 100%, 50%, 0%).
Old 02-26-2015, 04:23 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Alright that makes sense. I'll prob be alright with the ae5 then I'm not to worried about being able to program it with a computer. Maybe down the road when I get deeper in to it. Thanks for the info!!
Old 02-28-2015, 03:01 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

The AE-5 is the first Axial ESC I have owned/used. I've had it for about four months. No problems so far.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIREBUSTER View Post
Hey guys so I was really wanting the honcho scx10 but after some looking I'm seeing that the deadbolt actually has some better things like waterproof esc stronger driveshafts etc?? But my question is is can I later put the honcho body and bed on the deadbolt? I would much rather spend $50 on upgrades than buying a rig for $50 more and have it be not as good if that makes sense? And then deal with the body later Cuz I really don't like the deadbolt body. Unless I'm wrong on the deadbolt having better features. thanks for any input
I agree with you and plan on doing the same thing. the deadbolt come with a waterproof esc, upgraded driveshafts, and a dual slipper clutch. I do prefer the way the honcho looks but the only functional difference I know of is the dual stage springs that come on the honcho. Other than that the honcho does come with a usable spare and led lights. I have seen the honcho body with spare on eBay for around 50$ and the lights and bumper for another 40$. the honcho is .3" longer so if you want to make it exactly the same you can change them too another cheap eBay take off or at that time upgrade to honcho alloy links.
Spazzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:03 PM   #10

I like my scx10 Deadbolt. Very sturdy, even with a 5 year old driving part of the time. The stock body is good to learn with
SunnyBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:36 PM   #11

I have a honcho and just plastidipped my esc, servo, and receiver. I have completely submerged the truck many times with no problem so waterproofing isn't too hard
Paulsac is offline   Reply With Quote

deadbolt vs honcho - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX10 Trail Honcho or SCX10 Deadbolt? ZzSniperzZ Newbie General 27 11-22-2018 06:52 PM
Honcho and Deadbolt minizoom Videos! 2 03-08-2015 10:01 PM
Honcho & Deadbolt O.C. riverbed minizoom Scale Videos! 0 02-12-2015 11:40 PM
PinchFlat's Honcho to Deadbolt Conversion PinchFlat Axial SCX-10 35 09-29-2014 08:33 AM
Trying to decidle between honcho, wraith and deadbolt Coonburger Newbie General 12 12-15-2013 08:17 PM