Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Installing BEC in Wraith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 01:15 PM   #1

Default Installing BEC in Wraith

Hello I had some weird twitching going on so I am installing a Novak BEC. Hooked it up preliminary to see if it was going to fix my issues and it did, so now I want to solder it all together but I had a couple questions. It sounds like I will no longer be using the stock on/off switch, and I believe I need to cut and cover the red wire coming out of the stock speed controller. The BEC is a 3a Universal for 2s Lipo and my battery is a 5000Mah 7.4v 2s 20c. Any advice?
erik bernstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2011, 08:30 PM   #2
RCC Addict

the on/off switch wont affect the bec(I think) you could just leave it on, and the red wire can be cut but i like to take a different route, which you use a short harness(think that's what it's called) and take the red wire out it and use it between the esc and servo so that you don't have to worry about removing the red wire out of the esc and if needing to sell or what ever, the red wire will still be there.

edit: actually on second thought, what type of servo you using? because you might not even need a bec, some servo's can be directly connected to a 2s lipo, if you ever plan on going 3s or more then the bec will be needed but if its 2s, you dont need it actually

Last edited by demonoid369; 12-04-2011 at 08:33 PM.
demonoid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:35 AM   #3

I'm running a Savox servo as well as running a dig. Pretty sure I need the bec cause it instantly cured all my glut hung problems. So you are saying cut the red wire on the esc, or run an extension and cut the red on that and no longer use the stock on off switch?
Thanks in advance!
Old 12-05-2011, 09:01 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik bernstein View Post
So you are saying cut the red wire on the esc
Nooooo! Do not cut the wire.....use an exacto knife, lift up the tab at the connector and pull the wire out.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:18 PM   #5

Thanks guys!! I ending up using an extension and pulling the red out of that.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:02 AM   #6

Another quick question. Since I will no longer be using the stock on/off switch does it make sense to cut it off and solder the leads together or is that a bad idea? Thanks for your time. Erik
Old 12-06-2011, 08:22 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Erik that's all personal preference. I leave mine on in case I want to sell the ESC's later as some people want the on/off switch. I run a Holmes BRXL that has no on/off switch in my Wraith with a CC BEC @ 7.4V but I run it on 3s.

Reasoning why people want the on/off switch soldered together is to save space and any accidental roll overs the wires may hit the switch to off...

Btw if you're in Pasadena check out our local club in my signature!
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:57 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I always cut the switches off of mine...with a BEC it is definitely necessary to unplug the lipo when not in use, so the switch is not even needed.

BTW, Alex, he's in Pasadena, CA.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote