Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Help a noob with gearing please!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #1

Default Help a noob with gearing please!

Ok so I'm new electric motors and spurs and all that exciting stuff. Ive narrowed it down to a hh crawl master 13t and the hh brxl. It says in the motor and esc thread that I should change gearing to 56/14 and 32p. This is where I got lost! What exactly am I regearing? I know what the spur gear is.Can somebody please post some links to exactly what I need to order as far as gearing and stuff I really don't want to order the wrong thing! I'd like to go to metal gears as I believe I'll need them. Any advice is welcomed as I have a lot to learn! Thanks for any help guys!
Scjustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Help a noob with gearing please!

OK, You know what a spur gear is so, 56 is your spur gear tooth count(in 32 pitch, thats size of teeth, 48 being a finer tooth and 64 even finer(smaller)),14 is tooth count on PINION gear(gear on motor its self) the one making contact with spur. Make minor changes with pinion, major on spur.
A smaller pinion(less teeth) will lower your ratio(less speed more torque), A smaller spur will increase speed and lessen torque, larger the opposite. When changing anything motor, tires size etc. You will need change gears. Its to keep electronics running at resonable temp and amp draw. Wrong gears and you'll have a melt down.
What vehicle? If the motor is too hot to lay finger on after running a while you need smaller pinion or larger spur.

Last edited by RiceBurner; 07-19-2012 at 08:17 PM.
RiceBurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:16 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

32 pitch gears are stronger, less likely to strip out from debris getting inbetween the pinion and spur, and noisier. I'm currently running the HH 13t/FXR/3s lipo in my Class 1 rig with 78/20 48 pitch gears and it's plenty smooth, and fast with that gearing. I don't really think you need to drop down to 32 pitch unless you are REALLY trigger happy or do lots of mud running. I'd keep it simple for now. Start with 84/18 48 pitch gears and tweak it from there. Later down the line if you start stripping out spurs then you can switch over to 32 pitch gears. The 48 pitch is much quieter, smoother and easier to find.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:48 PM   #4

Thanks for all the info guys! Its for a wraith and is set up for crawling so i ended up going with the hh torque master 35t and hh brxl. According to the motor and esc thread i should be fine with stock gearing for now, any oppinions on that? im running aluminum beadlocks with the 2.2 iroks right now and just put on some mip driveshafts. lots of other vp goodies as well. oh and i do get alittle throttle happy when need be
Old 07-20-2012, 07:43 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Robinson Racing tranny gears are probably next, when you replace those I'd upgrade to 32 pitch gears. What gearing are you running right now? Once you're happy with your gearing choice, all you have to do to find the correct gear combo in 32 pitch is divide the spur # by the pinion #.

Say you have an 84/20 in 48 pitch = 4.2

You want 32 pitch 13/56 = 4.31

This would be a good combo to start with. Bump up one tooth in pinion and it will go faster, not crawl quite as good and run warmer. Drop a tooth and you'll reduce the top speed, it will have better bottom end control, and it will run cooler.

Good luck!
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:10 PM   #6

I'm currently running stock gearing, my motor and esc won't be here until next week. Can I just order just any Pinion gear or do I need a specific one for the HH motor? As in fitment onto the motor. Again thanks for your help and info!
Old 07-20-2012, 11:01 PM   #7

where can i find a 56t 32p spur gear to fir the wraith? seem to have trouble finding the right one. i keep seeing people talk about how loud a steel spur gear is, is it really that loud? steel spur gear or not?
Old 07-20-2012, 11:23 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scjustin
I'm currently running stock gearing, my motor and esc won't be here until next week. Can I just order just any Pinion gear or do I need a specific one for the HH motor? As in fitment onto the motor. Again thanks for your help and info!
All 540's have a standard 1/8" bore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scjustin
where can i find a 56t 32p spur gear to fir the wraith? seem to have trouble finding the right one. i keep seeing people talk about how loud a steel spur gear is, is it really that loud? steel spur gear or not?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEWN9

Embrace the noise as the sound of durability in this case. Steel spur is an unneeded expense unless you're doing sensored brushless on 4s or more imo.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:14 AM   #9

everybody seems to be out of stock on those duratrax 32p 56t spur gears! any other alternatives?
Old 07-21-2012, 06:37 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I used Associated Nitro TC3 gears, made by Kimbrough. Direct fit replacement.

But, I had to settle for a 54 tooth. They don't make a 56 that I know of.
meatmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:28 PM   #11
RCC Addict

If you don't use the Axial motor/spur cover, you can stick a Duratrax 60T spur on it. There's a few of those available.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:39 AM   #12

Thanks for all the input everybody. I ended up ordering Robinson racing tranny gears, 13t 32p pinion, HH 35t Torquemaster, HH brxl, and a lot of other goodies. I'm going to run up to my local hobby store today to see about a spur gear.

Help a noob with gearing please! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
87/22 gearing wassaakk Newbie General 5 05-22-2010 07:38 PM
noob, with noob questions farmerstoy General Scale Talk 12 01-14-2010 06:28 PM
Gearing MDcrawler72 Maryland 5 01-07-2009 05:38 PM
i need some gearing help. Dubs Chops General Crawlers 3 12-24-2008 10:37 AM
Any help with gearing??? Venomos Axial AX-10 Scorpion 7 04-19-2008 02:52 PM