Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Honcho kit or Dingo kit?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2011, 07:59 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Honcho kit or Dingo kit?

I'm in need or a little clarification. I've been lurkin here and on Axial's site. Aside from wheels and tires, what is the difference between these two trucks? The Honcho is obviously the more popular of the two but I can't really Distinguish a difference. All help is appreciated. Thanks
profsrkos2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2011, 09:55 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

the dingo wheelbase is shorter. It is a bit confusing but there is an RTR version of each & a kit version of each which has a few extras like aluminum links and there is an original and new and improved version, but not of each.

I don't think there was an old dingo kit but I could be mistaken. anyway, the kit you see out is an updated SCX10. Axial site outlines the upgrades from the old SCX10. You can also see on the axial site that the older versions are discontinued and the new Honcho kit is not out yet buy you can still find the old one in hobby shops & online.

Axial Racing - EXO, Wraith, XR10 Competition Crawler, SCX10 AX10 Scorpion Rock Crawler

I think I got all that right. If not, someone will chime in.

If you know you want a kit & shorter WB or prefer the dingo body, get that one. If you want a longer WB or prefer the Honcho kit buy the old version or wait for the new ones. & decide if the upgraded parts are worth differentiating between new & old honcho. I know the drive shafts are updated & set screws go all the way through the shaft but don't remember all the other differences on the new & improved.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by DRW-FJ40; 12-13-2011 at 09:59 AM.
DRW-FJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:32 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Thanks, that clears things up a lot. I didn't realize that the honcho kit was being updated. I think I'll be waiting until the new kit comes out. Might have to buy something else in the meantime.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:27 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I'm surprised they didn't get that kit out which Christmas and all. Looks like the updated RTR is out.
DRW-FJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:34 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Honcho kit or Dingo kit?

I've seen the RTR but I'm thinking I want the kit. I may have to get the Wraith kit or the Dingo kit for now. I'll have to see what the Boss will allow.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:28 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

i choose to go with a rtr dingo, i was very happy with my choice, im finding it easier and more enjoyable, the stock motor has to go, slowed down after 3 or 4 packs, i ended up using a stock tamiya motor (27T) and it goes slower, and faster, much broader power range, my lhs got us 2 rtrs for 250 a piece

i found that the stock esc is doing great so far, both are now waterproofed,

the rtr with plastic links and steering bars flexs, and seems to keep other things from stressing and breaking, i have an all alum link wraith, and i find alot of componets getting stressed, i just bought a 4 link kit for 30 bucks, so i will let you know how big the diffrence is!
stompjrkz400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:09 PM   #7

the rtr with plastic links and steering bars flexs, and seems to keep other things from stressing and breaking, i have an all alum link wraith, and i find alot of componets getting stressed, i just bought a 4 link kit for 30 bucks, so i will let you know how big the diffrence is![/QUOTE]

I was wondering about that as well. Since the plastic links bend and flex, doesn't this reduce the possibility of breaking drive gear/shafts/tranny. I want to buy the aluminum link set to eliminate the bending links but is it just going to make internal parts break?
FreedomRiding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:51 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

ive upgraded to alum lower links, love them, just upgrading the lowers made a world of difference, but do the steering too!, it helps a ton, but will stress out the stock servo more. heres a pic of mine ( started out as a stock dingo)
im working on buyying a new servo now

Old 06-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

also, other than normal wear and tear, i have not had a single drive line component fail me. i use 27t silver cans, they give me decent speed and great crawl, and when they burn out, you get another for 4 bucks.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:28 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

This thread has been raised from the dead...
AR Fabrication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR Fabrication View Post
This thread has been raised from the dead...
Again, Lol I think the Dingo will be my next purchase,
Paulnhoutx is offline   Reply With Quote