Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: need some expert opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2011, 11:58 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default need some expert opinions

Ok, have been using my redcat Crawler for about a year now and want to upgrade to something better! Have spent countless hours researching all different rigs having a hard time choosing between the axial. xr10 and a bully??? Can anyone that has had experience with both point me to the benefits of each??? Have a budget of 300-450 bucks
chevysucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2011, 02:39 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: need some expert opinions

i can only comment on the bully. i built one from the ground up using there axles, i can honestly say i never broke a part on them running 2 45t motors. it was comped a few times and i never babied it. so atleast for me they were bullet proof and worth the cash.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

With that budget go with the bully. The xr will easily exceed that amount. To be comp worthy is about idk like at least $800, even if you are just having fun they will exceed your budget unless you really want to skimp on some things. So i would say get the bully if you are going new. If you are going used it depends, comp = xr, playing = bully. btw i like chevy
Krawler23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:09 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I dont have one personally but a friend does and the gears on the xr strip out real quick and easy
jcsaxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:04 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I have found a xr10 kit for 150 plus shipping or the bully RTR for 399? Thinking i might be able to build a decent xr-10 for the cost of the bully? Are the stock axles on the xr-10 as strong as the bully axles?
Old 12-29-2011, 06:11 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevysucks View Post
I have found a xr10 kit for 150 plus shipping or the bully RTR for 399? Thinking i might be able to build a decent xr-10 for the cost of the bully? Are the stock axles on the xr-10 as strong as the bully axles?
Nope, not much stock (as far as axles) is as strong as a Bully.

I run a 2.2 Bully built from used parts (my son actually built it a year ago for me), I may lose screws, but I've NEVER broken anything.
You could always buy used bits.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:32 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Bully's are unbreakable (almost). Xr's break all the time unless you throw money at them like a stripper. Lol. I have a built to the gills xr. A friend has a bully with about 1/8 the money in it and his wont break.

I say get the bully. With the right setup, anything is comp capable.
skipxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:40 PM   #8
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
You need to realize that you get what ya pay for. Bully axles are a lot stronger than say a XR10 stock axles.... I do know for sure you will need to dump a ton of money into the stock XR10 ROLLER!, because the stock axle housing is weak and it tweaks and the bearings wear out witch results in per-mature gear failure.... Bully.... Not so much... For the money I found a really nice Berg roller for 325. Fully built axles and VP wheels. It has it all and I got lucky... Just keep in mind you might want to look for a Bully roller or a XR10 roller that someone has already unloaded the $$$$ it takes to fix all the stock issues. I saw someone from team3six selling a XR10 last month as a roller and they had every hop up you could think of. Upper aluminum axle housings and a ton of other goodies for 350...(if I was in the market for it at the time I would of jumped on it) I'm not saying XR10's are junk... I'm just saying they need a lot of money, work put into them that it takes to get them to the point of the all aluminum axles that come with a Bully or Berg axles. But when it comes down to it... What crawler don't need money dumped into it to get it to it's full potential.... Like I said.... IMO I would look for a good roller that someone has already started semi or is fully loaded with hop up's & goodies. IMO I think that's where its at, be patient and find a decent roller someone is getting rid of. Rather that be Bully, Berg, XR10....I hope I helped more so then not... Good luck buddy...

P.S..... listen to Charlie III....He knows his stuff and he is a great when it comes to advice and information.

P.S.S.... Sorry for being long winded.
redrokin00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:48 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the advice! Think i will be going with the bully in the RTR kit! Probably stop by West Valley hobby first and see if they know of anything for sale in Utah first though?
Old 12-30-2011, 09:47 PM   #10
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Thanks for the advice! Think i will be going with the bully in the RTR kit! Probably stop by West Valley hobby first and see if they know of anything for sale in Utah first though?
When you go in there ask for Mike, he is knows his shiz....... I have been keeping an eye on KSL (local classifieds) and I have not seen a Bullys come up ever, For some reason they're not really popular here in UT. That and we don't have any LHS stock or sell them.

Your best bet would.... Pay for a membership on here in look in the classifieds. That is where I found my Berg roller.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:09 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I'm in the same boat you're in from the OP. With our guys running XR10s modified as much as possible they still need a lot of work for durability compared to a bully.

My next 2.2 comp rig will definitely run bully axles...not the light weight versions though!

That's the advice many of our local comp guys told me to do if I were to go MOA. I've already sunk around $1600 onto my 2.2 Axial based shafty and it's already maxed out with everything possible.
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:22 PM   #12
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawler23 View Post
With that budget go with the bully. The xr will easily exceed that amount. To be comp worthy is about idk like at least $800, even if you are just having fun they will exceed your budget unless you really want to skimp on some things. So i would say get the bully if you are going new. If you are going used it depends, comp = xr, playing = bully. btw i like chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsaxial View Post
I dont have one personally but a friend does and the gears on the xr strip out real quick and easy
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipxor View Post
Bully's are unbreakable (almost). Xr's break all the time unless you throw money at them like a stripper. Lol. I have a built to the gills xr. A friend has a bully with about 1/8 the money in it and his wont break.

I say get the bully. With the right setup, anything is comp capable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexchen86 View Post
I'm in the same boat you're in from the OP. With our guys running XR10s modified as much as possible they still need a lot of work for durability compared to a bully.

My next 2.2 comp rig will definitely run bully axles...not the light weight versions though!

That's the advice many of our local comp guys told me to do if I were to go MOA. I've already sunk around $1600 onto my 2.2 Axial based shafty and it's already maxed out with everything possible.
Everyone is so quick to jump and just throw money at something.

I've got one XR10 that's stock minus a few bronze bushings I made myself. No extra bling or high dollar parts. Roughly figuring, there's about $350 in that truck RTR and it works just fine with my son beating the snot out of it. I'm building my XR10 the same way and will be trying a different style bushing.

Been testing some new super sticky gear grease, seems to work awesome so far.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:26 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrokin00XJ View Post
When you go in there ask for Mike, he is knows his shiz....... I have been keeping an eye on KSL (local classifieds) and I have not seen a Bullys come up ever, For some reason they're not really popular here in UT. That and we don't have any LHS stock or sell them.

Your best bet would.... Pay for a membership on here in look in the classifieds. That is where I found my Berg roller.
Thanks for the advice bought a membership today lol. Only problem now is i drove a buddies wraith today and now am having a hard time deciding which route to take
Old 12-30-2011, 10:55 PM   #14
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Thanks for the advice bought a membership today lol. Only problem now is i drove a buddies wraith today and now am having a hard time deciding which route to take
Well the Wraith is a great truck.... Cool as hell, but it is in completely different class of rigs. You are not going to run against a slow crawlin MOA.... So it's all about the rig ya want I guess.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:06 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflection View Post
Everyone is so quick to jump and just throw money at something.

I've got one XR10 that's stock minus a few bronze bushings I made myself. No extra bling or high dollar parts. Roughly figuring, there's about $350 in that truck RTR and it works just fine with my son beating the snot out of it. I'm building my XR10 the same way and will be trying a different style bushing.

Been testing some new super sticky gear grease, seems to work awesome so far.
I comp with Reflection and his son and that truck takes a beating and has not failed yet. The stock gears and bearings are the weak points on the XR and that can be fixed for a reasonable price. Sure buying every part VP sells would be nice but plenty of drivers on here have proven it's not necessary.

Right now I run a bully and I like not having to worry about breaking parts, on the axles anyway. If you don't plan to comp then the RTR will be ok to get you started but it is not the best option for getting into comps. The controller is a 2 channel so you cant use it for dig and the esc doesn't have a lipo cut off which I found strange on a moa in this day and age. The rest of the parts rod ends etc.. where cheap at best. Hell it wasn't even comp legal out of the box at 12 3/4" at rest. Buy the axles and build from there and as mentioned above hit the want adds for deals and vender sales for the rest of the parts. Right now TCS has the front cast axle on sale for $60 get one and a light weight rear and you'll be on your way to a nice rig.

Sorry for the long post.
SINister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:33 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

OK, I will add a little more.
For Christmas, my son received a used XR-10 that has a lot of VP parts on it. The price for the ATR was $650.
I drove it the other day against my Bully. Wow, the XR-10 did well for my first time!

I like my Bully, but I can advantages in the XR-10, makes me want to do more to mine.

The biggest thing though, is stick time. Period. There are drivers that could do well with just about anything, but a great rig won't mean you suddenly win every comp either.
You now have a star, go into the classifieds and look for a Bully roller or even RTR.

What radio do you have?? I'm a Futaba fan so I'm biased. I run a 3PM-x with a WantAmix to run dual ESC's. My son runs a 4PL with dual ESC's.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:23 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Thanks for all the advice ended up buying a RTR Wraith today! Will continue to keep my eyes open for a used bulley or XR that's been modified already

need some expert opinions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who is the lipo expert here? Leviathan Electronics 6 08-24-2010 11:39 AM
Need expert help with upgrades deadman23 Newbie General 0 01-29-2010 02:22 PM
need knoledge from expert!!!! hijack Newbie General 15 07-18-2007 05:45 PM