Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: old thread revival?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default old thread revival?

I've seen many noobs and presumed lazy members being told to use the search function. I used the search function, found what I was looking for, only to find that someone else had recently brought back the thraed that was from 2008(last post). Then I see that someone complained about bringing back a "DEAD" thread.

Which is worse "necroposting", or not searching?

How old is too old to post in a thread, or should a new thread about the same subject be started?
Hounddad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
cherry bomb

Default Re: old thread revival?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hounddad View Post
I've seen many noobs and presumed lazy members being told to use the search function. I used the search function, found what I was looking for, only to find that someone else had recently brought back the thraed that was from 2008(last post). Then I see that someone complained about bringing back a "DEAD" thread.

How old is too old to post in a thread, or should a new thread about the same subject be started?
I know the post your talkin about, it was me who said he was bringing back an old thread, there is nothing wrong with it, but to answer someones question that is 4 years old isn't really necessary (I would hope that they would have found the info they were after during the 4 year wait) if you know what I mean. to bring it up searching for more info on the topic is great however

Last edited by fred0000; 01-04-2012 at 04:57 PM.
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

i personally dont like it when people bring up an old thread when they only post garbage to raise their post count, but when they have a question about the topic or to add new tech/info i dont see it as that big of a deal. and btw its nice to see a few newer people actually use the search function
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:09 PM   #4
PapaGriz Yo

If it's a discussion thread about some type of tech then bringing it back is fine if you have some tech to add or a legitimate question. Actually it is preferred, to help avoid 500 threads on the same question.

Build threads should be avoided if they are more than a year old because the OP prolly doesn't have the rig anymore.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:11 PM   #5
Powered by Awesome

even if a thread is 7 years old - if it relates to your problem and does nto answer your question or if you wanna dig deaper on the subject - feel free to "bring it back from the dead"
TwistedXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:56 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hounddad View Post
I've seen many noobs and presumed lazy members being told to use the search function. I used the search function, found what I was looking for, only to find that someone else had recently brought back the thraed that was from 2008 (last post). Then I see that someone complained about bringing back a "DEAD" thread.

As has been mentioned here (and in the other thread for the most part), yes doing a search and asking a valid question (which you did) is worth bringing back an older post.
Keep in mind, most people from that thread are not likely to respond, but it was worth keeping the question alive in a "sorta" single place.

I apologize for one of my comments in that thread, I did a bit of editing there.

For what it's worth, I say, "No harm, no foul!", give the man a cookie for finding & using the "search" button.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:15 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I'm all for the "have a problem, searched and found a thread 4 years old...bring it back to life to "dig deaper on the subject" It might help someone....I'm for it....what I think is funny is a person like you, doing just that...and some noob posts right before yours and askes the question you just searched, found, formed a request and posted....and they get mad for being flammed.
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:22 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I found out that the thread was 4 years dead after the fact. I should have payed more attention.
I did find it kind of interesting that a mod was the one that started the thread and wanted others input on the subject.
I was just wondering and trying not to be flamed at the same time.
I liked the necropost comment Fred.

Last edited by Hounddad; 01-05-2012 at 12:26 AM.
Hounddad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:32 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

I've been doing the same thing searching and coming up with uber old threads. Thanks for all the tips on bringing them back from the dead. I've pretty much shyed away from bringing anything back that was too old tho..
4door5speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:10 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4door5speed View Post
I've been doing the same thing searching and coming up with uber old threads. Thanks for all the tips on bringing them back from the dead. I've pretty much shied away from bringing anything back that was too old tho..
No worries, my kids think I'm too old, but, I keep showing up!!.....

I give "Brownie points" to those that at least try to search, even if it brings up a relevant old thread.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I don't want to thread-jack, but this is on the topic of the search feature. Is there anyway to disable the 60 second search delay? I tried to search a way around it, but didn't find anything.
BladeMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:32 AM   #12
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeMech View Post
I don't want to thread-jack, but this is on the topic of the search feature. Is there anyway to disable the 60 second search delay? I tried to search a way around it, but didn't find anything.
Star members have shorter delays.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/payments.php
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote

old thread revival? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Joe's flatty The revival! Metal Masher 2.2 Scale Rigs 125 12-18-2012 08:48 PM
NTXRCC Scalers revival Lankenstein Texas 5 12-10-2010 12:34 PM
rediscovering an old band: Creedance Clearwater Revival STANG KILLA SS Chit Chat 26 09-26-2010 06:40 PM
Dead Cell Revival? mysharona Electronics 4 02-22-2008 08:26 AM
Help In Revival Of A Nylint wheely king General Crawlers 5 02-20-2008 02:52 PM