Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: New to rc but have a custom idea and lots of questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 03:07 PM   #1

Default New to rc but have a custom idea and lots of questions

I'm relatively new to rc. I've had just the cheap ones through my childhood but now I'm getting into it more and I wanna do a custom setup on a short course body. I wanna do my own straight axle setup in the rear and a custom independent setup in the front. My goal was to use the slash body. And I need to find an axle wide enough to where it doesn't look stupid with the tires pulled way in but not so wide as to where I need to cut the fenders off.

Any input is welcome. This is going to be more of a show piece than a race or competition truck. So im not worried about road manners or anything. But first I need to get a rear axle to use.
1995f1504x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2012, 08:38 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: New to rc but have a custom idea and lots of questions

Welcome! Now onto your build, there may be a few builds on here like that but a great site that I know has builds like that would be rcshortcourse.com. There are plenty of awesome builds there and many of the members here are also members there. If you want a full setup then you may want to look at this Hardcore Slash G10 Upgrade Kit It is pricey but it's a very nice quality kit. You can also buy the rear axle seperately. Let me know if you have any more questions. And once again, welcome.
ScaleFreak93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:22 PM   #3
Suck it up!

The Wheely King axle is just about the right width. The sucky part is the added gear reduction...though you could use the Losi Comp or Night Crawler trans as they are nearly 1:1.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Also the wraith axle is the same size as a slash ifs so itll fit the slash body just perfect
demonoid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:58 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
The Wheely King axle is just about the right width. The sucky part is the added gear reduction...though you could use the Losi Comp or Night Crawler trans as they are nearly 1:1.

Don't know about the LCC trans, but the LNC trans ratio is closer to 2.3:1.
jgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrim View Post
Don't know about the LCC trans, but the LNC trans ratio is closer to 2.3:1.
I thought they were lower than that...
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:24 PM   #7

I was doing the EXACT same thing and gave up. (At least for my first build). I saw a set of axles that would be perfect for a scale truck. They were plastic housings only for a t-Rex (rc4wd has a complete axle also) and looked very similar to a GM axle. Front ifs can be handled by almost any smaller stadium truck or on road car suspension, and can usually be converted to 4wd by adding cv axles and a diff if you are looking to drive it. I was also going to use 1.5 tires for a more scale looking putter until I played with my buddies ax10. Now I am building a partially scale fun to drive crawler, instead of a scale replica. Ax10 or scx10 axles might be pretty wide depending on the tire and wheel choice you go with, even for the slash. My ax10 axle assembled with steel wheels and MT 1.9 tires from rc4wd make it 8 7/8" wide total. Using a proline emaxx body (08 ford f250) my tires stick out 80% each side from the edges of my fenders. Hope this helped.
WLYSTLZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:40 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Search "Dorkstar Hybrid" or "Hybrid"

The slash 4x4 is the preferred front end. A wraith axle or short course rc4wd axle for the rear would work great. Links are a matter of choice and design. You need to note that 2.2 bead locks do not fit over the slash hubs. So chose a wheel that offers different hub widths. I suggest Vanquish Products. They are light and strong. Tranny; some think an axial tranny is fine and for a show truck it would be the cheep way to go. A summit tranny Is heavier but offers two speeds. That with a Pro4 motor from Tekin and you will have a rocket that crawls.

Good luck

Ps there is one I. The for sale sectioned called Mayhem. It's rediculously priced at $1200 for a roller. You can build it and out source the frame for that price.
RustenPaines is offline   Reply With Quote

New to rc but have a custom idea and lots of questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Event Idea questions? minifaron General Scale Talk 6 10-23-2009 06:53 AM
check out my new chassis idea lots of pics themichavo Duratrax Cliff Climber 23 09-17-2009 10:41 PM
Custom chassis!! (help/idea) Jammin Crawler Newbie General 16 01-08-2007 05:54 PM
custom trans idea, Magic General Crawlers 11 08-24-2005 03:37 PM
Custom Crawler idea? Monster572 General Crawlers 3 07-24-2004 07:44 PM