Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Common Sense AC DC-6 Charger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 09:07 AM   #1

Question Common Sense AC DC-6 Charger

Ok, so I just picked up one of these chargers and a 2S 5000mah lipo. I have never run lipos before and I honestly do not fully understand them....or the charger for that matter. When I got home from the LHS I threw the battery on the charger and charged it per my LHS direction. I was told to charge the lipo @ 5.0 amps and it would take about an hour. I did just that and it took about an hour, charged perfect. I ran it in the Wraith for about 30 min and then put it up for the night. I know you are supposed to store them at a certain voltage (I believe the charger says 3.75v). I waited a few minutes and hooked the battery back up to the charger and put it in storage mode. I set the charger @1.0 amp (highest it will go) and hit start. I checked on it a little later and it had dropped the charge / discharge rate down to 0.5 amp. About 40 min later I went out there and it dropped the charge / discharge rate down to 0.1 amp. Is this normal? I let it go on for about 75min total before I said f-it and shut it down for the night. I guess the question is should it take that long for the charger to get the battery to the correct voltage in storage mode? If I'm reading it right, it never did get down to 3.75v, or even close for that matter.

Also, should the battery be put in storage mode any time it is not in use? Let's say I charge it tonight, play with the car for 20-30min and call it a night. Do I need to discharge it to the 3.75v even if I plan on using it the next day or is the storage mode really just to be used if it will not be used for let's say a week?

I'm lost............any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
JCSXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2012, 02:25 PM   #2

Default Re: Common Sense AC DC-6 Charger

I found a article on the web and I think I answered my own questions. If I'm thinking about this right, the reason the charger would have dropped to 0.1 amp is becuase it was nearing the end of the charging / discharging cycle??

This is a rather lengthy read, but here is the article I found. There is a lot of good info about Lipos, charging, discharging and storage.

Still open to hear any and all comments.

Nevermind, turns out the article was too long to post (52,256 characters)

Here's the link
Understanding RC LiPo Batteries
JCSXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:31 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Default Re: Common Sense AC DC-6 Charger

i have a friend with that charger but i dont think he stores his lipo's on storage mode.. i have a cheap e-flite charger for my 2s lipo's and dont worry about the storage mode. full charge or not toss them on the workbench and call it a night..

i can see using the storage mode if your not going to use them for a month or something but over night to me its not worry it..

hope this helped you out a little..
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Common Sense AC DC-6 Charger - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Common Sense Lipo Tortuga275 Electronics 0 02-19-2010 09:26 PM
It's called common sense... JasonInAugusta Chit Chat 3 02-08-2008 11:16 PM
Common Sense Answers Fishmaxx WRCCA Rules 43 11-29-2006 06:44 PM