Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Whats a good waterproof esc & motor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Whats a good waterproof esc & motor

Looking for upgrades but on a budget of course.

What is a good waterproof esc and motor for the scx10, also should you upgrade the receiver?
milestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2012, 05:46 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Whats a good waterproof esc & motor

Holmes br-xl and one of his machine or hand wound motors.
Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

what do you think of the Velineon brushless motor with esc waterproof....
TowerHobbies.com | 3350X Traxxas Velineon Waterproof Brushless System

Would that be too much jam for the Scx10?
Old 04-18-2012, 06:13 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

But this is more in my budget, what do u think of it? TowerHobbies.com | 13022 Venom 540 55T Brushed/60A Waterproof ESC Crawler Combo
Old 04-19-2012, 06:34 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

The Traxxas XL5 with Titan 15t is an Uber Cheap setup if you just need something to get you started,

If youre looking to waterproof your receiver look it up on YouTube as there are may vids on this topic. Plasti Dip works well!
ProjektONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:49 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

That 55 turn is going to be slow! I have a brxl and love it, however I water proofed my boys stock electronics and he runs the shit outta it, I used plastic dip, works like a charm. You could also use balloons, condoms, Tupperware, water proof boxes from radio shack.
jshull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:55 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Also to add, any brushed motor is fine to run in water, you can either buy cheap throw aways or get a good motor you can take apart and lube/rebuild when the time comes. No matter the motor or esc keep In mind water Perot and water resistant are two differnt things. Eventually water ruins everything. My brxl is a great esc but honestly I use no more options on it the. My stock esc.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshull View Post
Also to add, any brushed motor is fine to run in water, you can either buy cheap throw aways or get a good motor you can take apart and lube/rebuild when the time comes. No matter the motor or esc keep In mind water Perot and water resistant are two differnt things. Eventually water ruins everything. My brxl is a great esc but honestly I use no more options on it the. My stock esc.
Hi, I'm concidering buying a brxl or mmp. Can you explain that last sentence please?
djoefromreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:25 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjektONE View Post
Plasti Dip works well!
Sorry, but this statement is false. My experience has proven this and it has been verified to me by engineers at Castle. The plasti-dip actually TRAPS moisture inside the electronics case..and if you remove the case and plasti-dip the board, there is a chance of pulling components off the board, since plasti-dip shrinks as it cures...

The best method IMHO is to remove the case and dip the board in EPOXY. This is how I've waterproofed my MMP and I have run it completely submerged underwater many times with ZERO issues...
the_ghetto_rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:34 AM   #10
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

And use a potting epoxy if you want to be safe, it doesn't shrink like many off the shelf epoxies do. I've killed ESCs using regular epoxy before, it shrank enough to rip components off.

plastidip works well to keep water off, but you can't stop water from wicking down the wires towards the board. Wires actually allow a lot of water through. The only way we can really get totally waterproofed is to have copper standoffs for every wire that come out of the epoxy. But, a good potting epoxy does well enough to bond to the board so moisture doesn't move around once it gets in the wires.

Last edited by JohnRobHolmes; 04-19-2012 at 08:36 AM.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:22 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoefromreal View Post
Hi, I'm concidering buying a brxl or mmp. Can you explain that last sentence please?
Sorry, that want supposed to send yet. My brxl has many more fine tune options, plus handles 10x the power the stock ae2. What I was trying to say is I basically use The same options. IMHO the motor is where it's at. Better motors make a world of differnce, I have both machine and hand one HH, in my application the hand wound only makes a slight difference. Either one was top shelf shit compared to the factory motors. I Use plastic dip, then my electronics are in boxes. My son uses his dingo as a submarine almost daily. I'd say were past the 100 pack point. That roughly is 100-150 hours not a problem one. And yes I disassembled my esc and dipped it then put it back in the case. Works for me, your results my vary. If you can afford it Holmes all the way brother....
Old 04-19-2012, 09:39 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Holmes brxl waterproofed only way to go! I would kill for mine!!
kmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:18 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
That 55 turn is going to be slow! I have a brxl and love it, however I water proofed my boys stock electronics and he runs the shit outta it, I used plastic dip, works like a charm. You could also use balloons, condoms, Tupperware, water proof boxes from radio shack.

hahah awesome my buddy used a condom and panty hose the other day, the panty hose was to go around his brushed motor to keep sediment out in mud..... I actually burned my stock 27t motor out yesterday in the mud, so I want a new motor and esc (esc... my range has been very shitty lately and it cuts in and out on its own). I may just get a couple stock motors maybe from the wraith they r cheap 17.99 and 20t a little faster, what i want... def need a esc tho, Was thinking of going brushless but maybe not this time around, the venilienon brushless waterproof, im just afraid all that speed might mess my whole truck up.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:22 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

ya i wouldnt be messing with my esc settings much at all really, im very new to the sport just got a used tamiya high lift tunrda from ebay, then went and bought a brand new scx10, which I love... since put 2.2 tires n rims on it, changed body, just ordered metal links, metal shaft, and some proline flat iron tires. Looking for a motor and esc.... but i kno my esc is damaged along with the motor.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:25 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

is there any other brand to get other than plasti dip? Im in canada I dont know if ive ever seen that here.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:28 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Home Hardware - plastidip
Oldskoolcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:37 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldskoolcj View Post

Oh shit thanks man! ill head there now see if i can get one.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Sorry, that want supposed to send yet. My brxl has many more fine tune options, plus handles 10x the power the stock ae2. What I was trying to say is I basically use The same options. IMHO the motor is where it's at. Better motors make a world of differnce, I have both machine and hand one HH, in my application the hand wound only makes a slight difference. Either one was top shelf shit compared to the factory motors. I Use plastic dip, then my electronics are in boxes. My son uses his dingo as a submarine almost daily. I'd say were past the 100 pack point. That roughly is 100-150 hours not a problem one. And yes I disassembled my esc and dipped it then put it back in the case. Works for me, your results my vary. If you can afford it Holmes all the way brother....
Thanks, got it now. The reason I'm still in doubt is the following: I'm asking myself if I'll ever build something for speed again, cuz the whole crawler and scaler thing got me by the throat like I never thought it would. I'm liking the heck out if it, you got me
In case It'll let loose the mmp is a better investment, otherwise the brxl. (I'll keep buildin no matter what)
djoefromreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:08 PM   #19

I'm trying out the HPI SC-15WP. It's waterproof, has drag brake, and is good down to 15t.
I'm going to run that with a brushed 55t Axial motor.

(on a side note... why is it called 'plastidip' if it's a "rubber coating"?)

Last edited by tim.sanderson; 04-19-2012 at 09:10 PM.
tim.sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:41 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

So are brushless motors waterproof, how would u waterproof them

Whats a good waterproof esc & motor - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
whats a good motor and esc for my new venom creeper. Kentuckcrawlers Venom Creeper 15 01-17-2012 09:36 PM
Whats a good setup for a scx10 motor/esc wise? traxxas4fun Axial SCX-10 7 07-12-2010 08:11 PM
i have a mamba 25 esc, whats a good brushless motor? Corey H Electronics 5 07-16-2009 10:20 PM
Whats a good motor for STOCK ESC? it8ezbngrn Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 21 04-05-2009 11:35 AM