Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: FNG from STL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 09:38 AM   #1

Default FNG from STL

Cruzin the boards today and decided to sign up. Looks like you all have a good thing goin here.

I have only owned 1 "crawler" and it was quite a few years ago. It was the walmart special, good sized jeep wrangler, 4x4 and I actually enjoyed the hell out of it. It broke a drive belt and I couldn't find anything to replace it with, so it sat and eventually got pitched.

Now I am a bit older and enjoy rock crawling in full scale and thought I would get into the RC scene. I am looking for suggestions as to what you all would suggest as a starter RC for someone just getting serious about it. I am looking for a good size, not anything too small, and it has to be 4x4. I would like a tube chassis as well, but not a deal breaker.

Oh and I was smart enough to actually read the rules and regs and see that it will be a while before I can see the classified ads. LOL It amazes me how many new guys don't

Anyway, thanks in advance for any direction.
lil_dq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2012, 10:57 AM   #2

Default Re: FNG from STL

Go grab yourself an Axial SCX10 and start your new sickness...oops I mean start your new hobby there.

Welcome to RCC

THX_138 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Hey local! I got me an ax10 as my starter and I love it! The other models look even more tempting so I don't think you can go wrong with any axial product!
Grabbem88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
RCC Addict

The Axial Wraith is another one to check out. It has a cage chassis instead of a ladder type frame.

Welcome to the hobby.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Yep. Welcome. Top 2 are scx10 and wraith. After that it gets foggy, the options are there but you start running into a lot of cons that require $$ and you never seem satisfied. I'm sure others concur.
CrawlinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX_138 View Post
Go grab yourself an Axial SCX10 and start your new sickness...oops I mean start your new hobby there.

Welcome to RCC.
I will check into it. I did find a RC on Craigslist that the guy wanted $475 for. Here is the link. What do you all think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabbem88 View Post
Hey local! I got me an ax10 as my starter and I love it! The other models look even more tempting so I don't think you can go wrong with any axial product!
I am in Union, about 15 mins west of 6 flags on 44. I will have to look into the axial line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7zpj View Post
The Axial Wraith is another one to check out. It has a cage chassis instead of a ladder type frame.

Welcome to the hobby.
Hmmm I will check that as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlinMike View Post
Yep. Welcome. Top 2 are scx10 and wraith. After that it gets foggy, the options are there but you start running into a lot of cons that require $$ and you never seem satisfied. I'm sure others concur.
Would it be a good idea for a guy like me that is just getting started to build from the ground up? And if I was going to go that route, is there any good shops in STL to get pieces and parts?
Old 07-08-2012, 06:45 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_dq View Post
I will check into it. I did find a RC on Craigslist that the guy wanted $475 for. Here is the link. What do you all think?

I am in Union, about 15 mins west of 6 flags on 44. I will have to look into the axial line.

Hmmm I will check that as well.

Would it be a good idea for a guy like me that is just getting started to build from the ground up? And if I was going to go that route, is there any good shops in STL to get pieces and parts?
I didn't look at your Craigslist ad and can only answer the question directed at me. I would say get a rtr if learning. Then you have a virgin layout nobody else wore out or Fawked up. Upgrade what you feel is lacking or break. Both these axial platforms are top notch of what's offered right now. Being you are in the stl area I may meet you in the future. Look in the missouri section of this site. Stl is a busy area for Rc because of the population density. That means racing and crawling Rc. You are in a good area and have found the best site for your crawling interests. I'm jealous. My nearest anything is over an hour drive away. Guess I have one of the better jobs within a 100 miles and the Rc interest.
CrawlinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:43 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Ha! I put stl as my location cause who has heard of villa ridge?? Well you of course lol! I am off of 100 about 1 mile off of 44 exit.

Mark twain Shaeffers checkered flag are all pretty good shops.. Crawlers and team associated trucks I only go to checkered flag then mark twain since they are the furthest away.. Stay away from hobbytown USA off Manchester they are of no help for a new guy..
Old 07-08-2012, 07:49 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Btw that crawler is iffy. It's an integy brand and for a new guy you'd want back up parts!!

It does look nice though..

There is an axial ax10 on cl for like 250

But like the fella who said about buying used and being fubarred before you ever get to okay with it.. Well that is so true that I hardly buy from my friends.. Lol
Old 07-08-2012, 08:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlinMike View Post
I didn't look at your Craigslist ad and can only answer the question directed at me. I would say get a rtr if learning. Then you have a virgin layout nobody else wore out or Fawked up. Upgrade what you feel is lacking or break. Both these axial platforms are top notch of what's offered right now. Being you are in the stl area I may meet you in the future. Look in the missouri section of this site. Stl is a busy area for Rc because of the population density. That means racing and crawling Rc. You are in a good area and have found the best site for your crawling interests. I'm jealous. My nearest anything is over an hour drive away. Guess I have one of the better jobs within a 100 miles and the Rc interest.
Cool food for thought. Thanks

Quote:
Ha! I put stl as my location cause who has heard of villa ridge?? Well you of course lol! I am off of 100 about 1 mile off of 44 exit.

Mark twain Shaeffers checkered flag are all pretty good shops.. Crawlers and team associated trucks I only go to checkered flag then mark twain since they are the furthest away.. Stay away from hobbytown USA off Manchester they are of no help for a new guy..
Same here! I am not too far then, I am about 3 mins from 44 and 50.

Quote:
Btw that crawler is iffy. It's an integy brand and for a new guy you'd want back up parts!!

It does look nice though..

There is an axial ax10 on cl for like 250

But like the fella who said about buying used and being fubarred before you ever get to okay with it.. Well that is so true that I hardly buy from my friends.. Lol
I think I will just keep an eye out for a axial.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:34 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

rc rock crawler

This rig looks pretty decent if interested
Old 07-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #12

Might have to call on that one.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_dq View Post
I would tend to stay away from Integy.... especially for your first rig.
The chance of it having issues, bad quality parts, poor customer service, low grade aluminum and everything else about it has a high chance of turning you off about crawling very fast, and potentially losing interest in the hobby all together.

I would recommend you try to stay with something that is low maintenance, easy to find parts for if it does need them, great customer service, easy to work on etc... Axial will not be a disappointment.

Local to you. AXIAL CRAWLER

I would offer him $250-$275 unless he wants to fix the driveshaft before sale... Then maybe $280-$290.

A Wraith is also a good rig, but in bone stock form & depending on how you use and abuse it, it may have you chasing a few quick upgrades on parts.... Ie: upgrade front steering knuckles from plastic to aluminum, suspension links also from plastic to aluminum, possibly drive shafts and or axle shafts, again... Depending on your abuse factor.
But there are many people out there selling used Wraiths for great prices with the above mentioned upgrades already completed.
THX_138 is online now   Reply With Quote

FNG from STL - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fng Romad Redcat Crawlers 19 10-17-2011 07:09 AM
Fng....... Team Tactical Bacon Arizona 7 09-24-2011 11:39 AM
FNG saying hello... Dogsbody Colorado 12 07-29-2009 07:39 PM
FNG here LS1Armyboy Newbie General 3 03-22-2009 12:58 AM
The FNG jmdave69 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 4 06-02-2008 06:08 PM