Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Old 08-24-2012, 04:58 AM   #1
patrol king
Pebble Pounder

Default Hobbyking poor effort

To make this simple, stay CLEAR of Hobbyking .
I ordered through them only to have the incorrect stuff turn up , not only that but I was charged for the more topend parts which I ordered to only have things turn up that were cheaper . Plus I was charged for shipment out of the USA only to find that it wa shipped from HONGKONG...fraudulent i think .
Then to get it all sorted I had to basically turn my insides out to get them to realise thier mistake .
So be WARNED stay clear of HOBBYKING not a reputable dealer in my opinion .
patrol king is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2012, 05:19 AM   #2
cragv
Pebble Pounder

It's a numbers game, I reckon. Pay more at your local hobby shop and enjoy personalised service and advice and a place to go back to with any issues. Or buy from HK, paying bottom dollar and generally getting a good deal - as long as it all goes smoothly.

Personally I've spent somewhere around $1500 at HK over maybe 8 orders in the past couple of years without a single problem, buying from both China and Australian warehouses. I've also patronised my LHS for supplies and have enjoyed their sponsorship of local events.
Sounds like you've had a bad experience, but playing the odds hopefully your next purchase/s at HK will be trouble-free, if you choose to go back!
cragv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:56 PM   #3
tocsin
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Hobbyking poor effort

Quote:
Originally Posted by cragv View Post
It's a numbers game, I reckon. Pay more at your local hobby shop and enjoy personalised service and advice and a place to go back to with any issues. Or buy from HK, paying bottom dollar and generally getting a good deal - as long as it all goes smoothly.

Personally I've spent somewhere around $1500 at HK over maybe 8 orders in the past couple of years without a single problem, buying from both China and Australian warehouses. I've also patronised my LHS for supplies and have enjoyed their sponsorship of local events.
Sounds like you've had a bad experience, but playing the odds hopefully your next purchase/s at HK will be trouble-free, if you choose to go back!
+1. I think your experience was the exception, not the norm. I've had good luck with them. I've had one dead cell out of the box, out of probably 40 or so lipos. They had me ship it back (to the US warehouse) and gave me a full credit on my account. We stock them from time to time in our hobbyshop too, and we have a box full of Turnigy 2s 3600 30C's that have each seen at least 100 cycles powering our Traxxas Slash rental fleet.
tocsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:39 PM   #4
Fingonunny
Quarry Creeper

I would personally pay more money and support a local R/C shop. When I moved this last time I found the best shop in the area and now I support it. When in Rome.....
Fingonunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:57 PM   #5
Olle P
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingonunny View Post
I would personally pay more money and support a local R/C shop. ...
Generally true for me too, but there are some limitations:
- The one local shop available sell almost exclusively stuff I don't want.
- I'm not willing to pay a huge premium (40+%) to pick up the items locally instead of having it shipped half around the globe. (All costs included.)
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
OTHGbronco82
RCC Addict

Location: somewhere near Los Angeles...or a city looking thingy.

go here, www.hobbypartz.com/, 2 800 mah 3s lipos, 2 450 mah 3s, and a lipo sack for $40. That's with shipping(UPS), tax for CA, and the batts. Not to bad, and got it in 3 days. Ordered sunday, got it tuesday.
OTHGbronco82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:28 PM   #7
smitty808
Pebble Pounder

I have had nothing but great experiences with Hobbyking as well. I get great stuff, faster than I can get it from most other places. I don't have the option of the LHS. The closest shop with ANY crawler parts is HobbyTown 65mi away in Greenwood In... and all they have is links for a Wraith!
Sorry you had a bad experience, but like Cragv said, your next purchase from them would probably go great.
smitty808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #8
mcwk1992

I had purchased a lipo from them and took a month to get a warranty.

I use to support LHS till they changed owners. Now every time I go in needing help they look at me like an idiot, because I'm new to whole rc hobby. I now buy from tower hobbies.
mcwk1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:15 AM   #9
patrol king
Pebble Pounder

Well they didn`t get the order right for the second time I am never and suggesting nobody elese buys product from them ever again .
Old 09-03-2012, 01:15 AM   #10
cragv
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrol king View Post
Well they didn`t get the order right for the second time I am never and suggesting nobody elese buys product from them ever again .
What did you order and what did you actually get? Must have been quite a stuff up given how upset you are. Despite being such a cheap hobby store they do generally make things right if you contact them. Hope it works out.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:08 AM   #11
Olle P
RCC Addict

Quote:
... Plus I was charged for shipment out of the USA only to find that it wa shipped from HONGKONG... fraudulent i think.
I don't see any problems here:
1. The shipping cost is the same unless you order domestic, so that part was correct.
2. The US store is for US (and possibly Canadian?) customers only. Won't ship anywhere else, and you're being noted about this when ordering!
As an Aussie you can order from the "International" store in Hongkong or from their Australian warehouse.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:48 AM   #12
cragv
Pebble Pounder

I'm on Tapatalk so can't quickly see the Location tag for posters here. If OP is from Australia (like me) then you'd only order from either International or Australian warehouses, as noted above. If you ordered from USA warehouse, you're doing it wrong!
Old 09-03-2012, 02:58 AM   #13
filotr14lsdude
Rock Crawler

I had one a battery from hobbyking explode in my hand. Pulled it from the box, installed a deans and plugged it in. It went up rather intense.
It also decided to burn out my 2 fxrs.

It wasn't incorrect fitting of the deans. And it wasn't incorrect installation of fxr(can prove that because I used a different battery before this one exploded.
Hobby king didn't want anything to do with helping me, they have lost my business for good, I won't hold back from telling people not to use them. They don't even stand by the products they sell
filotr14lsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #14
patrol king
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cragv View Post
What did you order and what did you actually get? Must have been quite a stuff up given how upset you are. Despite being such a cheap hobby store they do generally make things right if you contact them. Hope it works out.
Simply 4 x nano-tech 3s 850mah 45-90c lipo batteries .
I ordered through the american warehouse as they were the only ones that had in stock the above mentioned product .
Old 09-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #15
patrol king
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle P View Post
I don't see any problems here:
1. The shipping cost is the same unless you order domestic, so that part was correct.
2. The US store is for US (and possibly Canadian?) customers only. Won't ship anywhere else, and you're being noted about this when ordering!
As an Aussie you can order from the "International" store in Hongkong or from their Australian warehouse.
1. Bullsh1t
2. Where was I told of this . If it is the case why did they except the order ?
Old 09-03-2012, 03:14 PM   #16
Olle P
RCC Addict

Quote:
2. Where was I told of this .
When I, just to see the costs involved, put an R/C tank from the US warehouse (because it wasn't listed anywhere else) in my "basket" and then checked it (to see if there was some added box or so) it was stated in the basket that I wasn't allowed to order it because I was outside USA. (For some seemingly very strange reason I can't order from the UK warehouse either, but only from the "European" warehouse in Germany, even though UK is also within EU. )
Of course I didn't try to order it, since that wasn't my intention in the first place.
Quote:
If it is the case why did they except the order ?
Because they could re-route it to the international warehouse.
Quote:
1. Bullsh1t
Check the postage table and tell me where it says that the cost is different when sending from the US.
The only "exceptions" mentioned apply when you order from their warehouse in NSW.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #17
stanmondz
Rock Crawler

iv never had a problem with hobby king. spent alot of money with em.
my LHS doesn't know a thing about crawlers,and cant get parts from anywhere we buy parts from.only stock replacements,or factory hop ups.

us U.S guys get charged a customs fee too,even though they ship from the states
stanmondz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:42 PM   #18
kicker

Im in Oz and i've ordered a number of times from HobbyKing without issue.

I have only ordered from NSW or International warehouse. I didn't realise you could order from a US warehouse.

I'm a little confused at the rant as you said in your first post they sorted it out for you?

Ie they got it wrong, you complained, they fixed it.
kicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:09 PM   #19
the Mad Modder
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicker View Post

I'm a little confused at the rant as you said in your first post they sorted it out for you?

Ie they got it wrong, you complained, they fixed it.
Read post #9.
the Mad Modder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #20
tarmo120
Quarry Creeper

Just placed an order on monday. 5 new Nano-tech batteries with deans. We'll see how long it takes.
Never had an issue with them.
tarmo120 is offline   Reply With Quote

Hobbyking poor effort - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hobbyking S.C. yoda Electronics 25 12-19-2011 03:51 PM
Hobbyking?? rocksteadily Electronics 16 02-21-2011 06:05 PM
Hobbyking will1978 Electronics 19 07-09-2010 02:12 PM
poor poor bubba m0nkey98 Chit Chat 5 01-12-2007 10:08 PM
PTI Courier-- my best scale effort yet WRXronald 2.2 Scale Rigs 49 04-29-2006 04:17 PM