Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: "Why I don't go to comps".....not looking for comp guy replies....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2015, 08:43 AM   #241

Default Re: "Why I don't go to comps".....not looking for comp guy replies....

I don't go to any kind of comps and it took me a long time to figure out why. I'm a huge introvert and don't get anything out of group activities. I'd rather head into the woods with my kid than go somewhere and have to interact with people I don't know very well.

That's why I'll never go... and I don't really have a need to show off my rig or my work. I do it for me, not for anybody else.
NerdDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2015, 07:40 AM   #242

I would like to get Comps, but don't of anywhere to go. I live outside of Raleigh NC. So if anybody knows of anything in my please let me know. I would like to get my two sons involved also. Thanks.
JOCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:46 AM   #243
Pebble Pounder

Check regional section.
gmorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:35 PM   #244
waw
Quarry Creeper

I've read a few posted reply on this thread.. well, it's fun to read

for me, just a few months ago getting into trailing scale adventure crawl.. I need something to unwind from the everyday challenges, then it comes to a stock SCX10 (with a little tweak parts here and there). For the sake of FUN and introducing my 22 months son to love cars can't afford a 1:1 and the next best thing is 1:10th scale..

my son love the rig so much, he played and pushed it down and flipped it all over the place.. hey I guess axial passed the rigorous test of a toddler, and surely I'm impressed with the build which nothing has broken yet (not that I hoping it will)

I met up with some local friend I met on FB, and yes they're fun while sometimes left me out.. it might be because I'm new to them and it's our first meet.. so I'll see where it goes.

an update, so a few days ago I met up with some who went to many competition.. on dude is a welcoming tutor who always encourage me to be better and never complaint about my set-up.. but the other one, is always the one who compared why axial is neither a Scaler or an Extreme rig.. he brags about how he build his rig from scratch..where almost all his chassis are handmade and he saves up little by little onto a scaler.. well I guess some of us do that to others without noticing it

Luckily in where I live, there are still many spots available for trailing and a bit of crawling, but being a dad, my 22 months kit is my priority..

Last edited by waw; 02-15-2015 at 09:19 PM.
waw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 04:32 AM   #245
Pebble Pounder

i've been to 2. mostly work schedule didn't work with the meets, and not being willing to drive hundreds of miles to play with toy trucks.

i got a kit Ax10 back when they first came out, seemed to upset some of the guys a box stock rig with a noob and cheap electronics, placed higher on a course than their tweaked rigs. not that welcoming, and trash talking / mocking about how mine was set up instead of helpful.

the other time wasnt great either, bigger event and being an outsider didnt feel that inclusive. i'd worked on my setup, added parts, was feeling better about it this time. still felt like a good ol boy club and didnt seem "fun".

the next time i was thinking about going to try a comp again, but 2.2 class was split to sportsman and pro, so i'd either have to pull my dig off, or lose to MOA, or convert to a scaler and drive through mud / water. yay water, who doesnt love cleaning drying and rebuilding stuff after every run.

i really should see if the local scene has gotten better now that my trucks really out of date.
frizzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:16 PM   #246

Just went to my first comp last weekend and let me say it actually changed my perspective n them. It was a pretty loose comp so people didn't really take it so seriously though and that is probably why.
djp087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 04:38 PM   #247

What would keep me away would be the attitude of people. Newbies just want to go out and have fun, meet some like minded people and play in the dirt. Is there a rookie class or something geared toweads a novis program?
Crawl for beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 04:50 PM   #248
Quarry Creeper

I think the hobby would be too small for a rookie class...but maybe not in the usa/europe where the scene is much larger.

I live in australia and the scene is very small, but although i have not entered any comps yet, i have noticed and seen through facebook a couple of pro class drivers who i would not ever want to meet now.

But you would get that anywhere you go with any hobby/sport, etc amigo..end of the day...life is just too short for such a trivial matter.

If you want to do it badly enough then you'll be doing it...and if someone rubs you the wrong way...don't get mad...just get even and wipe the floor with them at your next meet.

Last edited by Bully2RockRomper; 05-02-2015 at 04:52 PM.
Bully2RockRomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:51 PM   #249
Pebble Pounder

Why I don't go to comps,simple no rules telling me what I can and can't do. I go whenever I want for as long as I want with whatever rig I want and no waiting my turn.
SPLATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 11:50 PM   #250
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLATT View Post
Why I don't go to comps,simple no rules telling me what I can and can't do. I go whenever I want for as long as I want with whatever rig I want and no waiting my turn.
I think with that type of outlook then you will never truly know just how good your rig is and what kind of driver you are.

But each to their own.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:27 AM   #251
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bully2RockRomper View Post
I think with that type of outlook then you will never truly know just how good your rig is and what kind of driver you are.

But each to their own.
If I'm not competing why would that matter. All it is is an escape for me whether I'm tinkering with them or running them.
SPLATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 01:43 AM   #252
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLATT View Post
If I'm not competing why would that matter. All it is is an escape for me whether I'm tinkering with them or running them.
Yep exactly, should have mentioned before sorry, as long as your having fun that's all that matter's amigo.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:42 AM   #253
Rock Stacker

I also live in Australia, well the smallest part of Aus (little island at the bottom of it called Tas) Population of about 500K

And the crawler scene here is almost non-exsistent. Hobby shops stock almost Nothing crawler related. Everything is Traxxas and short course. (which for those that enjoy them great! Just not my thing.)
The one and only crawler group that runs comps state wide only run 1.9 class 1-3. Nothing else. no 2.2, sporty, MOA or anything else. Also only run on Saturdays, of which i happen to always be at work. But with such a small population base, and only one group it's hard to run classes for everything. Since i like the 2.2 MOA comp crawlers (only rigs i have now) i get to use them for fun, and as a therapy aid for my kid. But no chance in hell that i'll ever get to comp them unless there is a massive resurgence of popularity in biblical proportions.

It'd be nice to have a fun competitive day every now and then with them and likeminded people, but i don't ever see that happening here so i'm happy to just build 'em, drive em with the boy, and leave the competition side of things to those that can and do.
prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:10 AM   #254
Quarry Creeper

I had no idea you were also from australia Propet, i thought you were from the USA or somewhere like that.

I'm in Melbourne, and its exactly the same here. Everyone is into scale, but again no comps for them either.

I won't be living in australia for much longer, so i'll be taking the rig where ever i go within the usa and will at least get plenty of use for the scene is much more active.

I was 50/50 in regards to building a pro rig...for i wanted to do more than just a casual crawl here and there, but then i thought why let the lack of scene deter me from building one anyway..but then knowing i might very well be working in the usa helped me decide to start building it.

Well prop my girl and i have always wanted to see tassie, my girl is currently in Taiwan, but when she returns she would love to see it, so hopefully sometime we could have a crawl? I want to build one for her also, she loves them but hasn't had a chance to see them yet.

So your the only one that you know of in Tassie with a pro rig? I'm the same, i only like the Moa and shafty rigs. I don't own a shafy now, but would like to build one someday next year.

Last edited by Bully2RockRomper; 05-03-2015 at 06:22 AM.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:44 PM   #255
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I had no idea you were also from australia Propet, i thought you were from the USA or somewhere like that.

I'm in Melbourne, and its exactly the same here. Everyone is into scale, but again no comps for them either.

I won't be living in australia for much longer, so i'll be taking the rig where ever i go within the usa and will at least get plenty of use for the scene is much more active.

I was 50/50 in regards to building a pro rig...for i wanted to do more than just a casual crawl here and there, but then i thought why let the lack of scene deter me from building one anyway..but then knowing i might very well be working in the usa helped me decide to start building it.

Well prop my girl and i have always wanted to see tassie, my girl is currently in Taiwan, but when she returns she would love to see it, so hopefully sometime we could have a crawl? I want to build one for her also, she loves them but hasn't had a chance to see them yet.

So your the only one that you know of in Tassie with a pro rig? I'm the same, i only like the Moa and shafty rigs. I don't own a shafy now, but would like to build one someday next year.

Sure mate! If you're ever in Tas hit me up and we'll go for a crawl!

I know of two other people who have MOA comp rigs in this state. One is a stock bully 2.2, Th other i'm not really sure. Possibly Berg. Never seen it though. But that's about it to my knowledge. No-one around here runs them.
prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:03 PM   #256
Quarry Creeper

Thats great to hear someone is running a bully 2.2 like mine.

OK for sure then, i'll stay in touch with you and will let you know when we both plan to jump a flight there.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:38 PM   #257
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

It looks the "Why I do go to comps..." thread was deleted.

J
SkaldidDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:59 AM   #258
Try to Bend it

Quote:
I think the hobby would be too small for a rookie class...but maybe not in the usa/europe where the scene is much larger.

I live in australia and the scene is very small, but although i have not entered any comps yet, i have noticed and seen through facebook a couple of pro class drivers who i would not ever want to meet now.

But you would get that anywhere you go with any hobby/sport, etc amigo..end of the day...life is just too short for such a trivial matter.

If you want to do it badly enough then you'll be doing it...and if someone rubs you the wrong way...don't get mad...just get even and wipe the floor with them at your next meet.
Weird, I have found all of the 2.2 guys in Australia to be more than nice. Always willing to help each other out with parts or advice when they need it. Good to see you guys cracking on and building in areas where it is not so popular though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaldidDog View Post
It looks the "Why I do go to comps..." thread was deleted.

J
I was just looking for that too.
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:09 AM   #259

Like most have said I haven't gone to a comp because I got my rigs to have a blast with my buddies, throw down a few cold ones and BS, no line you have to take. Take a line and see if your buddies can do it then they swap it up and run it a different way and you see if you can make it. I however have heard from many that comps are a lot of fun and it almost turns into one big family event. One day I might.
BCrumB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 02:36 AM   #260

I can appreciate the time, Money and Skill that guys who compete put into their Hobby but it's not really for me.

First up I wouldn't have the cash to throw at it to make my rig competitive.

That probably leads into a second point that I don't know enough about the comps to know if there maybe even is a class for lower end rigs like mine.

I have been part of several other groups and clubs such as Reptile clubs and car clubs. There are always nice people within the club that take you under their wing so to speak but there are also a great percentage of people that are in the Clique who look down their nose at you because you don't have the "In" product of the day.

I already tried asking a few questions pertaining to my CR-01 on another forum and was basically told to
"Realise I'd wasted my money on a TOY and sell it to get something worthy like an Axial"

I guess I'd like to get in with a group of guys and learn more about the Hobby and maybe even be proud to show off a Ribbon I won for Best Realism or Best Mods or whatever but at the same Time I'd be happy to just get out with a group of guys and hare stories and blaze some trails together with no feeling of competitiveness.
Green Meanie is offline   Reply With Quote

"Why I don't go to comps".....not looking for comp guy replies.... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HD's Redcat "comp" Redo "Lady Luck" Hoosierdady Redcat Crawlers 33 07-12-2012 09:06 AM
Crawling in Lehi... Maybe some practices / "comps" Voteban Competitions 0 02-08-2010 10:27 PM