Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: "Why I don't go to comps".....not looking for comp guy replies....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2015, 05:48 AM   #261
Rock Crawler

Default Re: "Why I don't go to comps".....not looking for comp guy replies....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna4engr View Post
To sum it up:
1. large city (Minneapolis ) with small club and limited rock areas to crawl or compete = long drive times and long days
2. lack of a scale club to do more frequent trail runs , climbs, and ttc or recon/g6 events.

What would make me do more
1. I would love to be the organizer but I'm really busy with work and other projects. A scale Minnesota club with a chapter in the metro. Full comp is fun but I would prefer scale. I can help just can't be a chairperson.
2. If someone in the hobby had property with the rocks and trails that we all could easily get to and regularly compete

Detailed description :
The biggest issue I have is the lack of organized rc clubs in the Minneapolis area. There are some indoor on road and some offroad courses. Including short course trucks (slash basically). No offroad outdoor tracks to speak of in the metro area. I know this thread is asking about crawling. There is the Mnrcrc club and I have attended one of there events. Great location but an hour away from the metro. I honestly felt a little out of place. I have a budget xr10 along with my scalers. The Mnrcrc club is pretty small compared to some and they only have 2.2 and 1.9 shafty classes and an open 2.2 (moa)class. I really have enjoyed the scale side of rc since I was a kid. You don't buy a stadium truck because it is just like e real thing, there is no real thing. I also have a short course truck because it looks just like a torq truck or Baja truck. I have my Wringo built up to be like a badass scale class 3 rig but there is no scale rock crawling club around here that I've found. I would love to challenge my rig and learn how to drive it better. I understand the allure of an moa 2.2 rig. It makes rock crawling normal areas easy. The technical challenges of unscalable rocks or surfaces is cool but I really want to do it with my Wringo. That's why I built my xr10 on the cheap because it was more of an experiment. I can't look at any moa rig or most shafty rigs and see something that a real person would make in a 1:1. I bought a big brute as a kid because I love monster trucks. I bought an scx10 because I love to see lifted trucks go out andbreakstuff on the trail or on the rocks. I bought the sc truck because its just like you can see on the track or in the desert. You see a trend here. I'm not picking on the Mnrcrc but I would be available for a regular scale comp not a regular rock crawling comp.
In Minnesota most hobby shops and hobbyists are into flying. It's by far the most popular. It's tough to spark interest when the area doesn't have the support system.

Hope his helps.
2015 Update........

It's been a couple years now and this thread is still active so wth.

I have completely been engulfed in the comp scene and really enjoy it. The key thing is that Last year the rules changed and we ran a 1.9 trail, 2.2 trail or sporty, and 2.2 pro. The trail rules are loosely usrcca based (not Sorrca). Even though we were running against the couple remaining sportys, I was able to win the 2.2 trail/sporty points championship with my lightweight wraith. I also won the 1.9 trail class with my f250 scaler. For2015, MNRCRC dropped sporty class all together. Now we run 2.2 and 1.9 trail and 2.2 pro. The 1 or 2 sportys left run against pro rigs and can use dig.

After doing so poorly with my xr10 I was lucky enough to leverage some people getting out, to buy upgrades for my rig. This year I'm much more competitive and even winning once and a while.

Moral of the story. Make scale the priority. And only run the comp classes people are still passionate about. There's no real factory support for moa or sportsman so new people can't just "try it out" and be competitive. We've had guys walk in with a relatively stock scx10 jeep and clean up against the big $$$ rigs. Good driving and good tires can beat out $$$ any day. We don't turn anyone away and don't "tech" the rigs. It saves time and everyone has a good time.
Focus on the "club" aspect and less on the "comp" aspect and you'll see it grow.

What proof do I have this works????
Last season we probably averaged 5 rigs in pro, 9 in 2.2 trail, and 10-11 in 1.9 trail.
This year we have 10-12 pro rigs, 15-17 2.2 trail and 17+ 1.9 trail.
The comp days have gone from about 4 hours to 7-8 but it truly is fun.
We also did 2 g6 style events last year and a TTC.
This year were doing 3 g6 style events and building a u4 track at one members property.

Big thanks to the MNRCRC club and its members, you really opened up my eyes to how fun this can be.
dna4engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2015, 10:23 PM   #262
Try to Bend it

^^ Great post.
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:29 AM   #263
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna4engr View Post
2015 Update........

It's been a couple years now and this thread is still active so wth.

I have completely been engulfed in the comp scene and really enjoy it. The key thing is that Last year the rules changed and we ran a 1.9 trail, 2.2 trail or sporty, and 2.2 pro. The trail rules are loosely usrcca based (not Sorrca). Even though we were running against the couple remaining sportys, I was able to win the 2.2 trail/sporty points championship with my lightweight wraith. I also won the 1.9 trail class with my f250 scaler. For2015, MNRCRC dropped sporty class all together. Now we run 2.2 and 1.9 trail and 2.2 pro. The 1 or 2 sportys left run against pro rigs and can use dig.

After doing so poorly with my xr10 I was lucky enough to leverage some people getting out, to buy upgrades for my rig. This year I'm much more competitive and even winning once and a while.

Moral of the story. Make scale the priority. And only run the comp classes people are still passionate about. There's no real factory support for moa or sportsman so new people can't just "try it out" and be competitive. We've had guys walk in with a relatively stock scx10 jeep and clean up against the big $$$ rigs. Good driving and good tires can beat out $$$ any day. We don't turn anyone away and don't "tech" the rigs. It saves time and everyone has a good time.
Focus on the "club" aspect and less on the "comp" aspect and you'll see it grow.

What proof do I have this works????
Last season we probably averaged 5 rigs in pro, 9 in 2.2 trail, and 10-11 in 1.9 trail.
This year we have 10-12 pro rigs, 15-17 2.2 trail and 17+ 1.9 trail.
The comp days have gone from about 4 hours to 7-8 but it truly is fun.
We also did 2 g6 style events last year and a TTC.
This year were doing 3 g6 style events and building a u4 track at one members property.

Big thanks to the MNRCRC club and its members, you really opened up my eyes to how fun this can be.

I've been a member of the MNRCRC for eight years and like other clubs we've had our membership ups and downs. dna4engr (Dana) has been with the club for three years. In that period the club decided to put more focus on it's scale classes to improve membership. Dana has played a active role in shaping the new rules or lack of scale rules. Today there is a scale class for anyone who shows up driving anything sound crazy? Maybe but it has worked flawlessly and the club has experienced some very healthy growth. Some of the new members have even developed a taste for our USRCCA ruled Pro class it's been terrific. Dana (dna4egr) has strong organizational skills he manages projects for a fortune 500 company a job that takes him outside US regularly. His skills and personality have benifted the club. He has now assumed responsibilities for daily club competition leadership along with the MNRCRC originator and long time RCC member Kevin (Nicklepimp). Today attending a MNRCRC event you'll find a very large number of competitor entries it's defiantly a full day. The competition is amazing in our three classes and has proven the old adage that "size really does matter".

Thanks Dana for all you've done for our club.

PS; Having lack luster membership? Change your rule book to encourage membership it will improve your whole program.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 05:46 AM   #264
Pebble Pounder

I don't because we have two or three in Michigan that I know of per year, and there's no way to get in unless I can somehow register in the first couple hours or they're immediately sold out. I'd go to watch, but they're three hours away...
Creepcreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 01:33 AM   #265

I don't because there's no comps where I live I just take mine hiking and bush walking, the looks I get from other walkers is somewhat amusing haha. been sussing out a few locations where my local mountain bike trails are so might build my own comp course
fantomphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 02:55 PM   #266

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantomphish View Post
I don't because there's no comps where I live I just take mine hiking and bush walking, the looks I get from other walkers is somewhat amusing haha. been sussing out a few locations where my local mountain bike trails are so might build my own comp course
Yeah there isn't much action over here in australia and where i am. only a couple of us have crawlers in my area and can't find any comps about these days
CJP_8_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 10:05 PM   #267
Pebble Pounder

I don't because there's nothing close as said more than enough times before. I like the project aspect of it all. Go out and research and find what you want the end result to be and go for it. My wraith came together from scratch and all it gets used for is to play around during breaks at work right now. Took it to the LHS (about and hour and a half drive) to get some stuff and it immediately drew a crowd when I set it on the counter. It was great to finally get to talk with people about our rigs and where we crawl. But like most everyone else, time and distance are the main reasons I don't try and attend any events. I bet they'd be a blast though.
Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:30 AM   #268

Very new to the crawler scene.

I'm not sure if I even want to go to a crawler comp and compete, but I think I'd like to watch.

My issues would be:
1. Finding on information on where crawler courses exist
2. Understanding the different classes (Is there a 'stock' class where noobs like me can enter whatever they have?)
Hoss81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:22 PM   #269
Quarry Creeper

i dont go to comps because there arent any around me gahhh
everybody from alabama seems to be up north and they go up to tennessee for comps..
microcrawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:00 PM   #270
Quarry Creeper

I can't even find anyone to trail with around here in northern ny, let alone a comp.
dubyas1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:42 AM   #271
Pebble Pounder

I used to play in various pool leagues. It was fine in my 20s and early 30s. At some point in my late 30s, it stopped becoming fun and started becoming a job. I already have a full time job. My hobbies are meant to relax me, not add more stress. Having said that, I wouldn't rule out competing in a scale class if the environment was laid back and friendly.
skinnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:34 PM   #272
Rock Stacker

I got my crawler on a whim. I didn't know there was such a thing as crawling competition. If there were any clubs or competitions near me that I knew of It would be fun.
Problems I have are
1. Finding anything higher than a pimple on a fleas butt to crawl on is hard to do in South Florida.
2. I'm not aware of anyone else in the area into scale trucks
rstekeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:24 PM   #273
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyj View Post
I used to play in various pool leagues. It was fine in my 20s and early 30s. At some point in my late 30s, it stopped becoming fun and started becoming a job. I already have a full time job. My hobbies are meant to relax me, not add more stress. Having said that, I wouldn't rule out competing in a scale class if the environment was laid back and friendly.
I am in the exact same spot in my life. I have a scaler and now my son does. We run after work/school as often as possible. We are registered for a RECON here in PA in May and are very much looking forward to running with other people. The idea of lines not picked by us sound challenging.

The fun type atmosphere that I have heard about at the RECON is very appealing to us. I guess we will just have to see.

I should add I am not opposed to comps, I just haven't been exposed to them. I might give it a try once the kid is older, if he shows interest in it.

Last edited by Ditchrat; 04-06-2016 at 06:30 PM.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:48 PM   #274
Try to Bend it

I see a lot of posts above by people saying they do not, because there is no comps near to them. Comps do not just happen they need organizers and in most cases it only takes one person to step up and champion the cause. There are plenty of folk willing to help and guide you along the way. Have a look >>>>here<<< for what is in your area and see if there is an event you can attend to get a few pointers. After that have a crack at it. That's what I did in 2010, we now have on average 50 cars in four different classes competing monthly.

As a pretty shitty movie once said "Build it, and they will come"

Last edited by Highlucks; 04-07-2016 at 12:34 AM.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:59 AM   #275

I went to watch my first comp years ago. The comp was at a local park so I took my dad to go check it out. I was so excited to learn about crawling and see it in action before I actually bought one. What I found was a group of mostly arrogant, odd, rude, socially inept assholes. We introduced ourselves and they acted like we were bothering them and imposing on their secret club where outsiders aren't welcome. Most didn't even acknowledge us. We stuck around a little bit and asked questions, but nobody wanted to be bothered except one guy. That turned me off to crawling for a few years. Then I met a couple of cool guys building a crawling course at a local hobby shop. They were all about crawling for fun. There's a shocker! I bought my Axial, went on a couple of trail runs with them and I was hooked. I still trail with those same guys because it's a fun, relaxing day on the trail where nobody is bragging about how much money they spent, nobody knocks you for not having certain brands and everybody is willing to help each other with parts, tips, etc.

You can't have this standoffish attitude and then wonder why nobody wants to partake in your reindeer games.

I know this crawling group is on this forum.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:23 AM   #276
Quarry Creeper

I've been to a few I just don't like.them..if I want or need to do something that's competitive ill go racing .......i wasn't treated all.that bad at the actual comp.....but to me if ya wanna build stuff (scale stuff in my case )....and just go drive it ....comps are gonna suck....if ya wanna throw something together and stand in the woods for 4 hrs and talk about what you built then you'll love the comps.....just not my kind of competition I guess this hobby is fun and relaxing for me.without the pressure of getting into comps .....

Last edited by stevetate12; 04-07-2016 at 12:43 PM.
stevetate12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:09 PM   #277
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I went to watch my first comp years ago. The comp was at a local park so I took my dad to go check it out. I was so excited to learn about crawling and see it in action before I actually bought one. What I found was a group of mostly arrogant, odd, rude, socially inept assholes. We introduced ourselves and they acted like we were bothering them and imposing on their secret club where outsiders aren't welcome. Most didn't even acknowledge us. We stuck around a little bit and asked questions, but nobody wanted to be bothered except one guy. That turned me off to crawling for a few years. Then I met a couple of cool guys building a crawling course at a local hobby shop. They were all about crawling for fun. There's a shocker! I bought my Axial, went on a couple of trail runs with them and I was hooked. I still trail with those same guys because it's a fun, relaxing day on the trail where nobody is bragging about how much money they spent, nobody knocks you for not having certain brands and everybody is willing to help each other with parts, tips, etc.

You can't have this standoffish attitude and then wonder why nobody wants to partake in your reindeer games.

I know this crawling group is on this forum.
That's the problem with a lot of clubs and groups like that. I't suppose to be all about having fun, sharing and learning new things. Some people seem to forget that's what it's all about. I think part of the problem is with everyone ordering on line now and with a lot of the hobby shops disappearing there seem to be less social interaction. I live in a good size city and I can't find any RC car clubs or tracks.

Last edited by rstekeur; 04-07-2016 at 01:15 PM.
rstekeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:47 PM   #278
Try to Bend it

@Jatotheripper,

Sorry to here that mate. Things have changed a lot in the last few years with clubs becoming more welcoming and tolerant of new people. not that they should have to be tolerant. New blood should be welcomed with open arms and support, there should also be no bias to style of crawling cause you never know that new guy may join the ranks of your favourite style. Welcoming new people is the only way a club will grow.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:52 PM   #279
Pebble Pounder

Rules and description of vehicle types. The rules have changed over the years, but there are still a lot of different type vehicles out there. What vehicle "typically" falls into what category? Especially when it comes to 2.2.
Scale points. The fact that I can build and drive a rig that can be competitive only to be beat out by someone that glued a bunch of stuff to their rig is ridiculous. It doesn't seem like anyone even knows what actual scale items should even be in a rig to gain points. If I brought my full size rig to a comp, do you know how many "scale accessories" would be in it? I'll tell you, NONE!!! I would take everything imaginable out of the rig to keep the weight down and the chance of anything falling out to a minimum. If I were going to a trail run, I would have fire extinguisher, tree saver, tow strap, d ring, my tool bag, and food. If I was going on an expedition type run, I would include spare parts like axle shafts, and a spare tire. So to simply add points/enhance score simply because you glued items on your rig, is a bit unrealistic. Perhaps there should just be a show and shine class, which would probably bring out a lot of shelf queens as well. Keep the scores based on the rig and drivers ability.
msrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:33 AM   #280
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrace View Post
Rules and description of vehicle types. The rules have changed over the years, but there are still a lot of different type vehicles out there. What vehicle "typically" falls into what category? Especially when it comes to 2.2.
Scale points. The fact that I can build and drive a rig that can be competitive only to be beat out by someone that glued a bunch of stuff to their rig is ridiculous. It doesn't seem like anyone even knows what actual scale items should even be in a rig to gain points. If I brought my full size rig to a comp, do you know how many "scale accessories" would be in it? I'll tell you, NONE!!! I would take everything imaginable out of the rig to keep the weight down and the chance of anything falling out to a minimum. If I were going to a trail run, I would have fire extinguisher, tree saver, tow strap, d ring, my tool bag, and food. If I was going on an expedition type run, I would include spare parts like axle shafts, and a spare tire. So to simply add points/enhance score simply because you glued items on your rig, is a bit unrealistic. Perhaps there should just be a show and shine class, which would probably bring out a lot of shelf queens as well. Keep the scores based on the rig and drivers ability.

I never thought the scale comps were in any way scale or realistic........as in .....lets winch up what would be a scale 100ft cliff and launch off the other side to get through the course in less than 6 min......lol......not scale at all.......courses all seem be modified comp crawler courses.....personally I think they should stop calling them scale comps altogether.........
stevetate12 is offline   Reply With Quote

"Why I don't go to comps".....not looking for comp guy replies.... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HD's Redcat "comp" Redo "Lady Luck" Hoosierdady Redcat Crawlers 33 07-12-2012 09:06 AM
Crawling in Lehi... Maybe some practices / "comps" Voteban Competitions 0 02-08-2010 10:27 PM