Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: "Why I don't go to comps".....not looking for comp guy replies....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 06:05 PM   #81
Rock Crawler

Default Re: "Why I don't go to comps".....not looking for comp guy replies....

Nobody in my area wants to do comps, the closest place is over three hrs away. At some point i would like to go to one and watch the super class and see what a well tuned super can do.
k goodrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2012, 11:15 PM   #82
RCC Addict

Being a newb to the comp scene I thought I might offer some perspective, and things I've learned in the last three months of some comping. First, it's addictive especially if you enjoy a challenge. Second it's kinda on the individual to stretch out introduce yourself and start asking questions, as I've gotten to know folks they have been more willing to help, and spot me throughout courses, and even with them telling me everything they still wiped the floor with my deadn carcass. I've come to learn that driving time has to be put in to improve skill.

I'm not the most outgoing guy in a crowd of people I don't know, but the more time I put in the easier it gets. This expansion helped me land a spot in BYBRCC which has been awesome and a huge help, we drive together at least once a week, and yes I realize I'm super lucky to have found a group like this, especially of this caliber, but every group has to start somewhere. I hope everyone he best of luck in finding or creating a club they can call home.
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:33 PM   #83
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curcal View Post
Being a newb to the comp scene I thought I might offer some perspective, and things I've learned in the last three months of some comping. First, it's addictive especially if you enjoy a challenge. Second it's kinda on the individual to stretch out introduce yourself and start asking questions, as I've gotten to know folks they have been more willing to help, and spot me throughout courses, and even with them telling me everything they still wiped the floor with my deadn carcass. I've come to learn that driving time has to be put in to improve skill.

I'm not the most outgoing guy in a crowd of people I don't know, but the more time I put in the easier it gets. This expansion helped me land a spot in BYBRCC which has been awesome and a huge help, we drive together at least once a week, and yes I realize I'm super lucky to have found a group like this, especially of this caliber, but every group has to start somewhere. I hope everyone he best of luck in finding or creating a club they can call home.
I have comp with you and your right, your with a good group of people just stick with it and you'll do good.
MR.VERTICAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:45 PM   #84
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curcal View Post
I don't believe you. Surely you meant to whine and complain about not having a beginners class, or applying handicaps to more competent drivers so that you can keep up with them.

Kudos to you. You're on the right track.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #85
Pebble Pounder

Wow, this was a hard thread to keep up with. I still haven't finished reading all the posts, but I will add my thoughts on this since everyone asks this question. For one, I have a gmade r1 so it barely qualifies to be a part of any class in the competition world. For two, crawling isn't the only RC I have and I still believe this to be a hobby and not a profession. This is not my only hobby, and with me having a family and them not being interested enough in my hobby would iritate them by having them tag along with me to comps. I have all my RC hobbies to have fun and me personally do not find comps as a fun event in most cases. After being to a few fun crawls and watching a few comps that still did not interest me, the fun crawls were awesome. I had a good ol time, every class and beyond was involved and the points and crap were not recorded, it was just for the overall fun and challenge to make it to the end. I have my traxxas revo for bashing, my associated tc3 for drifting and road racing, and my gmade r1 for crawling. Maybe its just me, i like to have things just to have them, but I also like to have them to have fun with when those times of boredom come into play. Comps are a hit or miss for most, since there can be so many underlying obstacles that can prevent us all from going to them, but the same can go with those types that hit the regular indoor race tracks. There are quite a few out around me, but it seems like a hit or miss on how nice and cool the people are that are into that part of the hobby. I have met some real dickish people in the RC world and it has been almost majority of them that I have met, excluding this forum of course. Everyone on this forum has been great and I would love to meet those I have conversed with in the past 2 weeks. But back to the comp thing, its up in the are depending on the circumstances.
bikerzee24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:01 PM   #86

I have a few reasons...

1) the place that does Comps is 40mins away.
2) I work random schedule, (I am a nurse at a local hospital)
3) I have a son that would want to go also this means two trucks to keep in good shape,AKA broken parts/ new tech.
4) My wife is in school and works time in limited to be a family.
5) related to 2) I looked at the way they run their schedule seems to be a point based system. only can miss a single week.
6) I promised not to let RC cost more than the mortgage a month LOL

I have a few others....Mind you 6 is a joke but to stay top notch, it can get close fast... saw it with stadium trucks and F1 road course back in the day.
phantomxistance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:19 PM   #87
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomxistance View Post
I have a few reasons...

1) the place that does Comps is 40mins away.
2) I work random schedule, (I am a nurse at a local hospital)
3) I have a son that would want to go also this means two trucks to keep in good shape,AKA broken parts/ new tech.
4) My wife is in school and works time in limited to be a family.
5) related to 2) I looked at the way they run their schedule seems to be a point based system. only can miss a single week.
6) I promised not to let RC cost more than the mortgage a month LOL

I have a few others....Mind you 6 is a joke but to stay top notch, it can get close fast... saw it with stadium trucks and F1 road course back in the day.
I agree with you on #6 since I think all of my RC's time and money I put into them add up to over the amount of a couple of months worth of rent!...Indeed the small stuff does add up no matter if you have one RC or not it adds up especially when you start competing with them.
The family part is a good add on too, its taken me until this year to finally get my daughter into the overall hobby of RC and picked her up a HPI recon for christmas to start her out. If she shows further intertest that means I will be spending a lot more time with her stuff and putting aside the full on family stuff that would include the wifey!...weighing the options sucks sometimes.
bikerzee24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:55 PM   #88
Quarry Creeper

I picked up a RS10xt for fun after seeing some vids & reading up on sites like this that it was a good deal - this site lead me to the local cwrcrc site. Was able to go watch their local comp, was greeted warmly - kept my eyes open learning rigs, rules, what is & isn't needed.

I was way behind the times, 1986 was my last rigs, no winches, ESC, Lipo, 4wd was rare, 2.4 trans/reciever ? Whats that

But i do know from my 12 years of long range tactical rifle comps that you can watch OR you run what you have/barrow and have fun, learn, and try to remember you're only compeating against your own fears.

Don' t be thin skinned , go make some new freinds.
Pat M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:22 PM   #89

I have every intention to watch a comp one of these days...pick up a few tips. But unless most seem in it for funny and are not going crazy trying to be the greatest ever. I most likely will not bother. I think sometimes ppl forget they are FUN. If i wanted a second job....well lets just say i could make not spend money
phantomxistance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:45 PM   #90
Quarry Creeper

y i don't go to comps...... cause i don't know of any here. there are some held about 2 hours away over in ocala i think. Besides, i can't seem to find any data on the breakdown of classes. anyone know where a noob can find class breakdowns?
08sv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:55 PM   #91
RCC Addict

SORRCA 2012 rules:
2012 SORCCA Scale Rules

Thats scalers only, no supers.......searching

& the rest:
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rules...012-rules.html

noobs

Last edited by Dostradamas; 12-20-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Dostradamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #92
Quarry Creeper

^^^^^ thnks a lot!!!
08sv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:05 PM   #93
Rock Stacker

There is no club here in Sunshine Coast QLD Aus as far as I know... I would love to see what its like, but for me, i like to RC for fun. Find some cool shit around the home or surrounding areas to climb over, and make it a challenge to do it. Family restrictions would prevent me from practicing hours on end or going away for weekends. However I have got everyone into RC'ing together at home...Its nice to upgrade a vehicle a bit, but for me to spend $1000's detracts from the original manufacturer's vision for that vehicle. Some cars are so modded, they don't even look like what they were before they were unboxed...So maybe for comp people, they could have an original or lightly modded class for folk like myself..Just a thought. It seems that most folk in the USA have more range of clubs, it would be nice to spread this hobby further a field....
oo C64 oo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:34 PM   #94
Rock Stacker

I went to a coupple of comps, they only run a 2.2 class.
I own one crawler, it's a super they wouldn't let me run.
told me I had to build a crawler for their class, no rear steer allowed...
I don't have that much spare cash to start over and shelf my super.....
No "fun runs" allowed.

Harry
Old Sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:43 PM   #95
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Sloppy View Post
No "fun runs" allowed.
That doesn't sound like a very fun club to be associated with.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #96
RCC Addict

Seems kinda lame. Come up here we run all classes and don't care what you have. If it's not legal it just wont count towards the points series.
SINister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:22 AM   #97
RCC Addict

Not allowing fun runs is crazy. I've had to twist afew newbies arms to make them get the rig out and run the courses.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:26 PM   #98
Quarry Creeper

Very new to the crawling thing...
Spent a lot of time on RCCrawler before starting my first build.

Why I do not go to comp:
Crawling is non existent in this part of the world we are 4/5 guys, extremely remote from one another trying to make decent builds but all busy and on a budget. I couldn't even tell where would be the closest comp I could go to.

We have a lot of people doing scaling, and the few crawler guys are slowly selling their rigs to get scaling.

To say the least, the problem really is popularity and density.
We are learning very slowly as we do not have experienced cats around to help us with tips on driving, and "Showing the way".

RCcrawler is an amazing technical resource for me (and others) but this will never replace someone on the rocks with you either showing or telling you what you should do, or hands on tuning tips based on what he sees.
Driving time is one thing, experimenting is another... but it can get pretty lonely on a pile trying to reinvent everything.

Now I think we are a couple guys pushing build constructions (I made a "decent" Switch from what I learned here; other guys are pushing on berg tracers and other exotic chassis) but without the driving experience and a group pushing, i am afraid we will stay this way for a while.

I wish I could travel to comps, only to learn and be "pushed" by seeing other guys, ultimately doing the same for others.

It is not desperate, but comp crawling is an expensive hobby, and without events and a minimal active community, it is very hard to motivate people to jump onto the boat and "create" comps on our side.

So... density of crawling cats and entry fee really is the issue.
Orph3o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:45 PM   #99
Pebble Pounder

Ok posted in here a while ago about my hold-ups with comps. Another comp was held in my stomping grounds (palmer park) so feeling froggy I entered. My servo was on it last leg and it was ready to throw in the towel before the end of the first course. It totally took a sh*t before gate #2 of the second course. I feel better about the whole process of being in a comp and will enter the next one can. Hoping will be able to complete a little more of the courses The other contestants were all cool. Pretty hard for me to be real outgoing, I am no social butterfly. Going to try and be more chatty next time. All in all was a worth while experience!
Scocrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:32 PM   #100
Pebble Pounder

Went to 1 (Rausch Creek,PA) great time great guys but 4 hrs driving for 26 min driving.
gmorg is offline   Reply With Quote

"Why I don't go to comps".....not looking for comp guy replies.... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HD's Redcat "comp" Redo "Lady Luck" Hoosierdady Redcat Crawlers 33 07-12-2012 09:06 AM
Crawling in Lehi... Maybe some practices / "comps" Voteban Competitions 0 02-08-2010 10:27 PM