Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: "Why I don't go to comps".....not looking for comp guy replies....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 10:47 AM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: "Why I don't go to comps".....not looking for comp guy replies....

Quote:
Originally Posted by alterchristopher View Post
Box stock supposed (sold and advertised as) scaler is not alowed and no time/cash to build/buy a legal rig
Really? I don't really know the scaler rules, would you enlighten me on the issue/issues? Is it a wheelbase issue, if so, that's likely a quick/easy fix.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2012, 11:18 AM   #42
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Really? I don't really know the scaler rules, would you enlighten me on the issue/issues? Is it a wheelbase issue, if so, that's likely a quick/easy fix.
I think the Venom Safari is the only one that truly isn't legal because of its tvp chassis.

But still, any club should let you run whatever you've got if you're just out to have fun and aren't expecting to go to Nationals with it. The rules are implemented at each clubs discretion.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:59 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Yep it's a safari and I under stand why it's not allowed and like I said the local guys have been great but I really have more fun with the get togethers than any of the races I have been to i have a slash so I'm going by that. I think it will be the meet and crawls that get more people in the sport
alterchristopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:04 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedtoRC1 View Post
Thank you Jeremy. The OP that started this thread states he wants to help, but IMO has done nothing but start a big debate and get tempers going. By saying "no comp guys" won't give newbies a chance to see that "comp guys" are alright folks. Basically everyone who has posted hasn't even been to a comp so they don't really know what it's like.

I can say this is a good thing to not wanting comp guys post in here and really they have no answer to the question asked….UNLESS they stopped going to comps.
They should be reading this thread cause they can reevaluate how there club looks in the public eye…. And at the end of this thread you could see where things are lacking in appeal to new blood….
And the few posts from “comp guys” or “more involved guys” it seems like there flaming just a little so the noobs are on to something here buddy!!!

Quote:
I'd like to see Charlie tell a Pro driver to his face he "doesn't give a rats *** about his opinions." Honestly it's the guys like that that make comps no fun.
See now your showing your ugliness…. This is what people see of your clubs the forum is your advertising….

If you know Charlie even a little bit you would know you’re totally wrong on his intentions…. It would be people like him that would take this to the next level of enjoyment for many….. now on to why I don’t comp after dealing with “addictedtorc’s” attempt to lightly flame this thread …….

I don’t comp for a few reasons

1) Travel time I don’t normally have a whole day to “comp”
2) Rules to confusing and to much lingo to understand in the rules
3) Classes are to wide open need to have out of the box classes with handicapping so the 300 dollar rig can comp with the 1000+ dollar rigs…
4) And drop the attitude that your rig is better than all cause I am a “comp guy” and spent 1000’s on them every year

See you can learn a few things by asking questions to people you need to help keep the comps going…. If I remember you could not get enough entries to have the motorama event last February oh yea remember that, and every one got mad at the event people cause there was not enough of people…..charlies doing something proactive help him don’t hinder… You need some more people so be kind and back people like Charlie he only wants to better this for all…. If you truly like the comps you will need to bring in more noobs every year to just keep a float cause only a small percent will comp out of the new guys!!!
SCRUEWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:12 PM   #45
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRUEWD View Post

charlies doing something proactive help him don’t hinder… You need some more people so be kind and back people like Charlie he only wants to better this for all…. If you truly like the comps you will need to bring in more noobs every year to just keep a float cause only a small percent will comp out of the new guys!!!

totally agree
4x4Ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:33 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I can say this is a good thing to not wanting comp guys post in here and really they have no answer to the question asked….UNLESS they stopped going to comps.
So, we should NOT give input to those with questions? Because experienced people were catching flack earlier in this thread for not answering questions...

Without input from both sides, this thread is useless.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #47
RCC Addict

Quote:

They should be reading this thread cause they can reevaluate how there club looks in the public eye…. And at the end of this thread you could see where things are lacking in appeal to new blood….
And the few posts from “comp guys” or “more involved guys” it seems like there flaming just a little so the noobs are on to something here buddy!!!

See now your showing your ugliness…. This is what people see of your clubs the forum is your advertising….

If you know Charlie even a little bit you would know you’re totally wrong on his intentions…. It would be people like him that would take this to the next level of enjoyment for many….. now on to why I don’t comp after dealing with “addictedtorc’s” attempt to lightly flame this thread …….

I don’t comp for a few reasons

1) Travel time I don’t normally have a whole day to “comp”
2) Rules to confusing and to much lingo to understand in the rules
3) Classes are to wide open need to have out of the box classes with handicapping so the 300 dollar rig can comp with the 1000+ dollar rigs…
4) And drop the attitude that your rig is better than all cause I am a “comp guy” and spent 1000’s on them every year

See you can learn a few things by asking questions to people you need to help keep the comps going…. If I remember you could not get enough entries to have the motorama event last February oh yea remember that, and every one got mad at the event people cause there was not enough of people…..charlies doing something proactive help him don’t hinder… You need some more people so be kind and back people like Charlie he only wants to better this for all…. If you truly like the comps you will need to bring in more noobs every year to just keep a float cause only a small percent will comp out of the new guys!!!
If you would have carefully read what I have written you would see I'm not flaming anyone. I have already stated you don't need a $1000 rig to compete. I have already stated everyone has to start somewhere. I already noted that guys from the club I'm in are very well excepting of newbies and they have no problems what so ever helping out the new guys. We all do what we can to help everyone. I HAVE also stated I myself am still new to competing. I also pointed out I started with an out of the box rig against guys and their MOA's. The only reason I have $800 in my rig is because it's an addiction that I can't control at the moment. That isn't me saying I'm better than anyone.

There is already a Sporty class that limits a guy to a shafty with no dig. Pretty much out of the box AX, LNC, Creeper. As far as not understanding any rules.....have you ever asked someone from a club to explain them to you? I doubt anyone would have a problem doing that. The only reason I feel the need to post this is because a lot of what I have read so far is from assumption and not from experience.

I am trying to help other new guys to understand from a new guys view, but if you feel the need to take offense to it, than so be it. I didn't realize by me saying "get to a comp and check it out" and "it's just a bunch of guys getting together to goof off and have fun" was hurting the clubs in any way.

By the way I DO know Charlie AND his son. I've been around both of them at a couple of comps.
AddictedtoRC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:12 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
So, we should NOT give input to those with questions? Because experienced people were catching flack earlier in this thread for not answering questions...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post

Without input from both sides, this thread is useless.

Of course answer questions duh… but there is not many questions being put here(only a few)… but for the most part it is all statements from the now guys point of view….

Quote:
If you would have carefully read what I have written you would see I'm not flaming anyone.

At the end when you would like to see him tell a comp guy …blah blah blah…. That is the light flaming I was referring to …..

Quote:
There is already a Sporty class that limits a guy to a shafty with no dig. Pretty much out of the box AX, LNC, Creeper. As far as not understanding any rules.....have you ever asked someone from a club to explain them to you? I doubt anyone would have a problem doing that. The only reason I feel the need to post this is because a lot of what I have read so far is from assumption and not from experience. .

Oh I have asked but by the time I got all the info it kinda killed the thrill out of it I got plenty of help from gsrcrc…. The rules are not very informative to someone that is new to RC or to someone that might be a potential comp guy…. Just saying ….. if some one reads the rules they should only have really gray area questions(after rereading it a few times)….

Quote:
I am trying to help other new guys to understand from a new guys view, but if you feel the need to take offense to it, than so be it. I didn't realize by me saying "get to a comp and check it out" and "it's just a bunch of guys getting together to goof off and have fun" was hurting the clubs in any way. .

That’s the way it needs to be …. And you cant offend me that easy lol …. Just got to remember this sport really has no brick building to really go to to advertise it… this forum is your inlet of new guys and the more welcome and informed(without having to ask) the better… that’s what stickys are for!!!

Quote:

By the way I DO know Charlie AND his son. I've been around both of them at a couple of comps.

By the way you finished your post it looked like you didn’t ….i got one of his sons older rig

If I offended any of you that was not my intention…. Everything needs to run like a business new guys should be treated like a customer cause if they don’t come it wont last!!! And threads like this is just like a “how was your service” form you fill out after staying at a hotel or some other business ….
Old 11-14-2012, 06:19 PM   #49
Suck it up!

Quote:
Classes are to wide open need to have out of the box classes with handicapping so the 300 dollar rig can comp with the 1000+ dollar rigs…
If this were racing I would totally support a box stock class. I've been racing in a class very similar to that for a year and love it. Low cost, lots of fun, and the truck I started with a year and a half ago is still 90% original.

But there is a difference between a RTR race vehicle and a RTR comp crawler.

I don't know that there is a RTR comp crawler made that does not need some sort of modification right out of the box to keep it dependable. A course designed to not break a RTR would be boring and unchallenging for everyone involved.

No matter what the price of your rig or the handicapping you want to put in place, you will always get beaten by a better driver.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:44 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
No matter what the price of your rig or the handicapping you want to put in place, you will always get beaten by a better driver.
yes you are right but it would be a closer comp.... it would make the good get better cause they could be knocked out by a lucky new guy if the scruewed up just a touch.... and how cool would it be if a first time comper got in the top 5 or take 1st or 2nd??? think how cool would it have been if you did.....
Old 11-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #51
RCC Addict

Regarding the entry fee question.....

At the local NWARC comps your entry fee is paid if you show up. In other words ---- it's free.

What do you win? It's 100% payout of the entry fees....

I see a recurring theme, but I'll say not all comp guys are egotistical narcissistic maniacs. Not sure where that's coming from. That's pretty darn rare.

If there's a comp club close by, and you are at all interested, go. You don't have to compete. But it's fun.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:51 PM   #52
RCC Addict

Quote:
.... and how cool would it be if a first time comper got in the top 5 or take 1st or 2nd??? ....

It's happened. One of our local guys, TGreer on here, smoked us all at one of the first comps he attended. It was pretty cool.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:57 PM   #53
RCC Addict

Quote:
yes you are right but it would be a closer comp.... it would make the good get better cause they could be knocked out by a lucky new guy if the scruewed up just a touch.... and how cool would it be if a first time comper got in the top 5 or take 1st or 2nd??? think how cool would it have been if you did.....
I took 3rd in my very first Class 2 comp, my buddy took 2nd and it was only his second go around. Before anyone says it, this IS NOT me trying to brag. It just shows that everyone has a chance on any particular day. Not to mention my rig was basically thrown together a few weeks before the event.
AddictedtoRC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:57 PM   #54
Suck it up!

Quote:
I don't want to be handed a win, I want to earn it fair and square.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:10 PM   #55
Old guy

Quote:
Don't tellme, you played Tee ball and they didn't keep score and everyone is a winner. I knew this would happen.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #56
I wanna be Dave

While I'm not so much a noob to the hobby or the forum so much... My first comp was a couple weeks ago and it was an awesome experience. I placed 8th or 9th. Who cares it felt pretty much like a huge gtg with cool and helpful individuals.

A lot of keeping noobs away is location and time it seems. After that it's pretty much all attitude. If a guy gets past the insecurities of possibly getting a lil ass whoopin while learning a lot and having a great time, things will work out. Aside from that it's the attitude of the club regulars to be positive and help the new faces out. And I don't mean giving the guy/girl cookies or cajoling them along. Introducing oneself and offering to answer any questions goes a long way.

Imo its up to the individual to read thoroughly the rules of spec and competition beforehand. Jot down questions and don't be afraid to ask.

From a comp noob to others... like anything in life, one needs to get out of their comfort zone and offer a cheek to be slapped. Especially for a hobby, this is supposed to be fun
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:04 PM   #57

Thumbs down Re: "Why I don't go to comps".....not looking for comp guy replies....

It's quite simple, a comp is a competion, I dont like to compete or be judged, especially when the competitors dont want to give out the points where I could improve, instead stand around in their little cliques and laugh at the mistakes a newb makes
I just want to have fun, plus spending all damn day waiting for the other clases to run while I have to be there early in the morning takes the fun out of it.
This takes too much money to even think about being competative when guys are running home built $1200 rigs, there ought be a newb class for newbs instead of the 3 classes that are sanctioned, for a club to be sanctioned there should be a no holds barred class for a guy to get started in and he can only spend a year in that spot (the driver, doenst matter if its your new rig) this may give him some idea of what to do, and the judges can bite my ass, again I dont want to stand around all day after driving anywhere for 10 to 120 miles just to stand around. a club should be much more localized the half a state. this does very little to encourage a guy with no means of travel or little money to even bother.
Dont even get my started on the 1:1 guys who are almost always elitists. Comps in my area are dumb. and I am never going to support my local club until there is a newb class in the local club, as far as nationals 3 classes only. Give a newb a chance.

Last edited by Blazer72; 11-14-2012 at 10:10 PM.
Blazer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:07 PM   #58
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer72 View Post
It's quite simple, a comp is a competion, I dont like to compete or be judged, especially when the competitors dont want to give out the points where I could improve, instead stand around in their little cliques and laugh at the mistakes a newb makes
I just want to have fun, plus spending all damn day waiting for the other clases to run while I have to be ther early in the morning takes the fun out of it.
This takes too much money to even think about being competative when guys are running home built $1200 rigs, there ought be a newb class for newbs instead of the 3 classes that are sanctioned, for a club to be sanctioned there should be a no holds barred class for a guy to get started in and he can only spend a year in that spot (driver, doenst matter if its your new rig) this may give him some idea of what to do, and the judges can bite my ass, again I dont want to stand around all day after dring anywhere for 10 to 1020 miles just to stand around. a club should be much more localized the half a state. this does very little to encourage a guy with no means of travel or little money to even bother.
dont even get my started on the 1:1 guys who are almost always eliteists. Comps in my area are dumb.
What club comp did you attend that treated you in this way?
Old 11-14-2012, 10:08 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer72 View Post
I just want to have fun, plus spending all damn day waiting for the other clases to run while I have to be ther early in the morning takes the fun out of it.
This takes too much money to even think about being competative when guys are running home built $1200 rigs, there ought be a newb class for newbs instead of the 3 classes that are sanctioned, for a club to be sanctioned there should be a no holds barred class for a guy to get started in and he can only spend a year in that spot (driver, doenst matter if its your new rig) this may give him some idea of what to do, and the judges can bite my ass, again I dont want to stand around all day after dring anywhere for 10 to 1020 miles just to stand around. a club should be much more localized the half a state. this does very little to encourage a guy with no means of travel or little money to even bother.
dont even get my started on the 1:1 guys who are almost always eliteists. Comps in my area are dumb.
Wow, the last comp you attended had these things happen to you?
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:10 PM   #60
No idea what I'm doing

I've stayed out of this thread since it started, but feel a need to interject.

It seems this thread is being derailed from what Charlie first intended it to be.

This isn't about comp drivers justifying the reason they go, or arguing points to new people who don't. This thread is really to hear the reasons new people choose not to comp.

It was going pretty good, and I'd hate to see new people shut down because others are arguing their point.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote

"Why I don't go to comps".....not looking for comp guy replies.... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HD's Redcat "comp" Redo "Lady Luck" Hoosierdady Redcat Crawlers 33 07-12-2012 09:06 AM
Crawling in Lehi... Maybe some practices / "comps" Voteban Competitions 0 02-08-2010 10:27 PM