RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Newbie General (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/)
-   -   "Why I don't go to comps".....not looking for comp guy replies.... (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/412188-why-i-dont-go-comps-not-looking-comp-guy-replies.html)

Charlie-III 11-10-2012 01:36 PM

"Why I don't go to comps".....not looking for comp guy replies....

Hi all,

There has been multiple discussions on how to get new guys into crawling/keep them into crawling.

Issues noted (not a full list BTW) are:

Time
Money
"Have no clue what to do"
"What class am I in?"
"What if I suck??"
11/10/12-distance to events, lack of places to crawl, lack of other crawlers.
Etc.

So, I'm going out there (in the newbie section) to see what YOU guys see as issues.

Please post here (Newbie for the most part only....please.)

One original thread is here.... http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/gener...age-newbs.html

If you DO comp, tell us why here.... http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/gener...-veterans.html

I don't give a rats a$$ what the comp guys think, I/we would like to know what the newer guys think.

Yes, some depends on the group you crawl with (I have to say, GSRCRC is a great group regardless of skill level)"thumbsup""thumbsup".

Distance to comps, my closest is ~40 miles, my furthest is ~120 one way.
As to comp/running sites, sometimes you have to look. It need not be a "mountain of rocks", it could be a drainage area, rock garden, park.

Those of us dedicated to expand RC crawling really need to know what is going on.

TIA for newbie replies.8)"thumbsup""thumbsup"

dna4engr 11-10-2012 06:38 PM

Re: "Why I don't go to comps".....not looking for comp guy replies....

To sum it up:
1. large city (Minneapolis ) with small club and limited rock areas to crawl or compete = long drive times and long days
2. lack of a scale club to do more frequent trail runs , climbs, and ttc or recon/g6 events.

What would make me do more
1. I would love to be the organizer but I'm really busy with work and other projects. A scale Minnesota club with a chapter in the metro. Full comp is fun but I would prefer scale. I can help just can't be a chairperson.
2. If someone in the hobby had property with the rocks and trails that we all could easily get to and regularly compete

Detailed description :
The biggest issue I have is the lack of organized rc clubs in the Minneapolis area. There are some indoor on road and some offroad courses. Including short course trucks (slash basically). No offroad outdoor tracks to speak of in the metro area. I know this thread is asking about crawling. There is the Mnrcrc club and I have attended one of there events. Great location but an hour away from the metro. I honestly felt a little out of place. I have a budget xr10 along with my scalers. The Mnrcrc club is pretty small compared to some and they only have 2.2 and 1.9 shafty classes and an open 2.2 (moa)class. I really have enjoyed the scale side of rc since I was a kid. You don't buy a stadium truck because it is just like e real thing, there is no real thing. I also have a short course truck because it looks just like a torq truck or Baja truck. I have my Wringo built up to be like a badass scale class 3 rig but there is no scale rock crawling club around here that I've found. I would love to challenge my rig and learn how to drive it better. I understand the allure of an moa 2.2 rig. It makes rock crawling normal areas easy. The technical challenges of unscalable rocks or surfaces is cool but I really want to do it with my Wringo. That's why I built my xr10 on the cheap because it was more of an experiment. I can't look at any moa rig or most shafty rigs and see something that a real person would make in a 1:1. I bought a big brute as a kid because I love monster trucks. I bought an scx10 because I love to see lifted trucks go out andbreakstuff on the trail or on the rocks. I bought the sc truck because its just like you can see on the track or in the desert. You see a trend here. I'm not picking on the Mnrcrc but I would be available for a regular scale comp not a regular rock crawling comp.
In Minnesota most hobby shops and hobbyists are into flying. It's by far the most popular. It's tough to spark interest when the area doesn't have the support system.

Hope his helps.

DSchulten88 11-10-2012 07:10 PM

I'm not a newbie per se as I've been into the crawling scene for some time but was forced out of the hobby because of space issues. Had to pack up shop and put everything in storage for about two years. Last competition I went to MOA's and Shaftys were still running in the same class. Before the xr10, before the scx10 I believe. Definitely before the losi 1/10 scale.

I had an ax10 and showed up to about a half dozen local events.

My issues were money, drive time (=gas money), keeping up with the technology and parts at that time was a little difficult. At that time dig was a new deal too so not everyone had it, let alone afford it and the courses were always favoring the dig guys. So course set up was a big deterrent. Kinda forced you to take the dive and spend the cash if you wanted to keep up with the jones'

When I got back into the hobby just a couple months ago since I finally have space again for it I didn't even bother trying to get into the comp scene.. too much money, seems really "clicky" still to me, and I guess I'm just not as competetive as I used to be. Scalers seemed like the better choice. More to the roots of why I bother dumping money into this hobby.. not to mention hundreds of hours of my time on earth.. its just pure simple clean relaxing fun with like minded individuals. As an every other week step father to a first grader, full time sub contractor, and full time college student its nice to have some time away from my 100 mile an hour life. I think competitions would add to my stress not relieve it. But that's"thumbsup" just me.

Phins Fan 11-10-2012 09:31 PM

While Ive been crawling for about 1 "season" Ive been in the hobby for several years. Just recently into scale and crawl. I will say that the locals who have been doin comps for years are VERY supportive of newbs and are always lookin for more guys to share the hobby with.

Myself - I started with an AX but have recently been building a SCX and a Comp AX because of the group of guys supporting me. I have yet to comp with anyone on any level but have attended SEVERAL this past season (both scale and crawl) to get an idea of not only how serious these guys were when it came to comps but also how much fun they have ribbing and bustin each other before, during, and after the runs they do.

I will say that like most newbs I do get a little intimidated when Cletus pulls out his $1000 SCX as I wonder - How the hell am I gonna be able to compete with that? At the same time Cletus will be right there cheering on the other newbs who were doing thier first comps.

At the end of the day if you are surrounded by the right type of people it can be a VERY fun time! Like most things if you take it to serious than people stop having fun with it.

Olle P 11-11-2012 04:26 AM

I've had my crawler for thirteen months now, and the main reason for not going to competitions is a total lack of nearby events.
The one competition that's been held this year was the Nordic Championships. Taking part in it would have cost me some $700 (rough estimate) just in travel and living expenses.
Visiting other typical get-togethers is also a matter of a full day travel in each direction.

Twice this summer have I had a get-together with the most close-by other crawler I know of. He lives some 100 miles away and runs a scaler... (And both times my crawler broke down after less than one hour driving.)

Excellent crawling terrain is abundant around where I live, and I'm doing my best to lure more locals (read: colleagues) into crawling, but their main argument against is that they don't even want to spend even the <$300 required to get started.

MotoMudder 11-11-2012 01:08 PM

Not many 'issues' for me, just nothing, as far as comps, around. Im in the boonies of western WA. over an hour south of Seattle.
I did not get into this hobby to go to comps, just to have fun. A friend got me into them, then he sold his truck :(

But word of mouth, and showing off works wonders, I now have gotten another friend to dive in, tho he is in an 8th scale vs my lil ax10. Its still fun to go out and play.

Also most of my LHS, are more into planes, and SC or buggie racing. Not much of a following for the crawlers around here.

I'd love to find more folks in my area to get a group going, or to just have a few more folks to crawl with.

Scocrawler 11-11-2012 09:53 PM

I have not been into rc crawling very long and have noticed there are not many events close to home. Denver has events pretty often but with drive time that would make for brutal long days away from the family (Something that is already in short supply and wife could care less about coming along with me) I did go to the one event I saw in Colorado Springs and realized I was seriously outclassed. My stock chassis'd ax-10 scorpion in no match for xr-10 with bodiless chassis and bergs. I do however enjoy the rare moment when my little rig shocks someone. What I don't enjoy is some spoiled punk with a $1400 rig talking smack. I did not see any of that while I was there spectating but I have seen it in other facets of RCing. Hoping crawling is the exception. So i will keep going to events and hope for a sporty comp in my area. And who knows, if I keep improving my rig one dime at a time I may get comfortable enough to enter along side the big dogs.

aceisback 11-11-2012 11:54 PM

Not really a newb anymore, but for me, competition takes the fun and enjoyment out of hobby. Time, distance, and money is another factor of course. I am active in pretty much every form of RC (Helis,planes, crawlers, tanks, etc.), so competing in any one is hard as I devote time to enjoy each aspect of the hobby. When you compete, it seems like you are constantly spending more money and spending more time upgrading than actually going out and just having fun. When the competition is serious, everyone wants to have the best and be the best. I think it is really up to the individual as to whether or not they want to compete or not. In pretty much every one of types of RC I am into when competition exists, someone gets into the hobby and then gets out because they feel they aren't competitive or can't afford to be competitive. It's hard to enter a competition of any sort just for the fun of it because deep down, you really want to win, just human nature.

sickcivic95 11-12-2012 12:10 AM

The scenario:
I've been into RC for a long time and scale rigs for a while, I live close enough to a group of runners where I could go out to meets, I even joined the group NOSTR.

My thoughts:
I don't know anyone on a personal basis (prob feel like an outcast), I'm not sure that I and or my equipment would be good enough (hobby money is well HOBBY money) and I wouldn't want to hold back the group from enjoying their day out (annoying NEWB feeling), not 100% sure on rules/regs, don't want to deal with some sarcastic little sh*^s that talk smack all day because they are doing better (may not even happen but very annoying), and I would like running in comps but not sure I'd be able to devote enough time to the group to help out, and that would make me feel pretty sh*&&y

Why I have not gone:
I tried on road racing Twice, first time I was the NEWB and had a few people help out and give me pointers and show me the ropes, teach me a few rules and pointed me in the direction to stay on as a group member this was great and I felt comfortable after being worried about being the outcast.

The second time was a nightmare, it was the same group of racers and they were a bunch of KNOBS. It was getting slammed for being to slow or not knowing exactly what to do and the comments---my rig wasn't the cream of the crop or didn't have the newest release parts, why did I even bother coming, why try etc etc etc.

Now I know it was a different type of comp, and different type of people, but from previous experiences I don't want to deal with that kind of stuff. I build scale rigs to have fun and enjoy running them on trails, beaches, rock piles etc. the last thing I'd want to do is go out and be treated like an outsider because I don't know exactly what to do, or because I'm not the best driver (even if I'm a first timer) or feel excluded from the (click) all this says to me is your not good enough to hang out and enjoy this hobby.

Now I could be completely off and NOSTR could be the best group ever (and in the area by word of mouth I've heard they are) but not knowing how to compete, or the people, or the basic fundamentals of comp. crawling I already feel like I'm behind and that mindset just does not lead to a fun start. I'd love to go out to an event just to watch and see how it goes but then I'd feel like a creepy stalker type of guy or something lmao.

I could figure out quite a bit by reading the groups forum and learn the basic rules and regulations, but in my mind the payoff is not worth the possible hassles I would have to go through to get there. Now I know most of act like adults and don't have the 12year old mindset of being a tool, but it only takes one to ruin it for others.

IMHO I'd love to see more people involved with a group and would like to see more groups open to having people join in as well to keep our segment growing, but we need to get over the fact that not everyone will have the best rig or be the fastest learner or be easy to teach. I think that With a bit of patience, open mindedness, non-childish behavior, and a group that does not put up with this type of behavior it would grow rapidly, and I'd join in right away and start going to and helping organize events and comps.

--Dan

Jus 11-12-2012 05:15 PM

There aren't any anywhere near me. :shock: Can't justify driving for 2 hours one way to spend maybe 15 to 20 minutes driving in the comp. Totally not worth it. Now, to spend the day lounging around and driving scalers and shootin' the $hit, that's fun and worth the drive.. But that scene has even died down where I used to go. :cry:

Charlie-III 11-12-2012 07:24 PM

I, myself, truly appreciate the replies thus far. It's one thing for "comp guys" or "true diehards" to say what the issue is, it's another to hear from those that it affects.

It does not make you a lesser person, it is what it is.

While it may not help me, it may help my group as well as others.

Part of why I posted in this section is to stop flaming.

I also am not really looking for comp guy replies, there is a linked thread for those type of replies. Comp guys can only guess why non-comp guys don't show up.

Soooo.....for anyone else, please keep replying as well as pass it on to others that fit this thread.
It only helps us all."thumbsup""thumbsup"

AddictedtoRC1 11-12-2012 10:06 PM

I think the principle is pretty simple here. Leave the comps for the diehard competitive guys or anyone who feels like they want to better their skills. If you are one of those who just likes to meet up with a group of guys and have a good time, just about every club holds GTG's.

Camasrider 11-12-2012 10:16 PM

I just recently start my comp by jointing ORCRC comp. When I first get interest in the RC crawler I did not know there's so many different classes for just a RC cars. So I went ahead and bought myself a RC4WD D90 defender and though I might be able to drive around with some local guys for fun so I surf the web to find people. Then I ran into ORCRC web site and start to realize there's pro comp and there's scale comp and my rig are totally unfit for those of competition purpose. So I think OK, may be I spent some money and bought my self a XR10 and do some mods then I might be able to do comps. SO I joint the local comp weekly practice and hope my rig can stand out and make myself a pro comp driver. And you know what happen? In the past 6 months I was not able to complete most of the course and the money I spent to improved my XR10 were almost triple the value when I first drove it. And still...last week I DNF 2 out the 3 courses and almost went into the ditch and swim with my rig on the wet slippery rocks. Frustration? of course. But the funny thing is I still want to go out and do the comp because that's all the fun started. We got our self into this hobby not because it's easy, I enjoy this hobby because it is challenge. And most important thing is you need to find a group of people that willing to share their experience with you and help you to make your rig better and your driving skill better. I like to said in the past 6 months I learn a lot about RC crawling thanks to ORCRC guys and information from RCC. But in the mean time I also learn that no matter how many money or how many time you spent in this hobby, the most important thing is ..........have fun.

lemonhead 11-13-2012 09:29 AM

I have only had my rig for less than a year and really not into comps but more of a GTG type of scene. I'm new to the area I live in now and looked into a few clubs but everything was about points and decked out rigs I couldnt afford. I finally got lucky and hooked up with a couple guys that just like to run and not worry about points or how many scale things & upgrades you can add to your truck, as this becomes expensive.

The summer started with 4 of us and ended with 12 -14 guys, most of us are newbs and short on cash and knowledge, but the more seasoned guys are great and very helpfull and patient with us.

Maybe if there were more GTG for the newbs so they could learn as they go, it might keep more of the newbs interested and not so overwhelmed and feel like they need to drop tons of $$$ just to keep up and try to finish a course.

I.m lucky to have found a group that feels like I do and just wants to have fun playing with toy trucks.

monkeymagic9 11-13-2012 10:07 AM

SHORT VERSION: I'm sure I'd enjoy a competition even from the back of the pack looking forward but I'd imagine it'd be taken way too seriously for me.. like I'll be making a mockery of the event or at least my class when I end up reversing 180 times and holding up the course for the next guy

LONG VERSION: +1 for GTG

Setting up a course and just doing the best I can to get through it seems a lot more fun to me. I remember reading somewhere in the definitions of the classes that the fact that I've shaved an inch off the ends off my cool metal bumper to allow me to attempt any kind of an approach to anything over axle height throws me into a class 2? Makes me feel like it'd be totally incompetent in the field. Now from further reading it seems class 2 is just a bunch of lightly modded stuff and I'd do just fine.. but the fear of the unknown!

Idk, from what I actually hear I'm completely going off of false pretenses and the comps are really friendly and the classes are pretty f'in even. But then again, this always seems to be coming from someone who's running some kind of pr campaign for the comps.

Dostradamas 11-13-2012 12:23 PM

Its all $$$ for me currently.
I have comps close enough, the rules are available for my rig setup.
Untill I can upgrade my servo I am waiting in the wings.
As soon as I can get my rig comp ready I will make some time for comps & GTGs.
I will probably have my arse handed to me & learn how "not" comp ready my rig is but that is always the starting point in just about any competition.

idk 11-13-2012 12:38 PM

for me its lack of people and events. im 3hrs south of stl the only area i can seem to find others in close by. but the 6hrs of driving isnt in the cards. when i was in kc. and i was frist starting different story cool guys some local events but a move killed that. its really more of where are all the people in southern mo at?

4x4Ric 11-13-2012 01:13 PM

"Why I dont go to comps"

well for me, its a few reasons.
1) Im just wanting to have fun... Im not into the points, cost involved, travel etc etc.
2) atitudes... from some of the atitudes Ive seen on here, its either "go big or stay home" back to reason #1.
3) money... this was a gift, and its fun as hell, but Im not wanting to put up to $1000 into this just to go out and have fun.
4) fun... IMHO its not much to be told I have to be at a certain place, at a certain time, just to be told that I have to have this and that on my rig to compete, its much more fun to just show up somewhere and start wheeling these things, no rules, no requirements, just have fun.

That being said, I have not, been to a comp, or have I read all the rules and regs, BUT I will go to one or two just to watch and learn. May be someday, after I have broken/updraged enough parts, I might enter a comp, but from my eyes, a new guy, its just not worth it, maybe later it will be "thumbsup"

AddictedtoRC1 11-13-2012 06:51 PM

I think what a lot of us tend to forget is the guys who are running Pro class courses that someone just starting out would have a hard time with, had to start somewhere as well. A teacher isn't just gonna hand out A+ grades to their students because the students don't have the ambition to better themselves. I am new to comps and my very first one was with a stock LNC running with pro guys like Turbo and Dez. I was intimidated yes. Discouraged due to not doing well or finishing every course yes. Were the guys in the club downing me and making me feel less than anyone? NOT ONCE! That only made me strive to want to be better. As far as anyone thinking it takes $1000 in a rig to be competitive, that's BS. I watched first hand the #1 spot be taken with a nearly stock XR10. It's not about how much money you have. It's about how much time you are willing to put into your driving. If you are a good driver, but can't stand the fact that others are competitive, you are in the wrong place. It's a COMPETITION for a reason.

ignorant_newb 11-13-2012 08:07 PM

I don't care to lose.....especially to someone that is truly great at what they do. I haven't competed, havent even driven my rig yet becasue I am still gathering what is needed to do so. I plan to get into the comp arena once I understand my rig and its geometry and wont expect to enter a comp and expect to win until I do these things. I come on, Im not the Dos Equis guy for cryin out loud. Who expects to beat a pro with just crawling around your back yard. The courses are designed to break your rig, your local park.....not so much.

When I go to my first comp, what will turn me away would be the other guys' d-bagishness. Im not a cocky person and am humble, when I give you that respect I expect the same....call me old fashioned, whatever. As long as I can shoot the breeze and get some education from talking to the guys and watching them all will be good. As said above, I don't expect to get all the trade secrets from the "masters", not in the least, just a point in the right direction. Im pretty smart and can figure most things out on my own. Just dont bash my rig and my hard work, congratulations your rig is built better or you can drive better yadda yadda yadda, i get it, you have been doing this longer than me.

What I find most interesting about this sport is the mechanical apptitude I have seen online. I don't know of anyone personally that does this so Im on my own here for right now. No rig is exactly the same because everyone engineers their own......freakin cool! I look forward to it.

So these two things I know for sure:

1. I probably wont want to drive 100 miles to comp. I work 50+ hours a week and still want some family time if I cant get my wife and daughter to come.

2. Cocky a-holes will turn me away, I don't surround myself with guys like this anyway so this isn't any different. Although, its a given there is always some in every crowd, the general attitude should be cool though. I have a closet full of Tap Out shirts....I am a bad***......watch out!!! LOL!