Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: "Why I DO go to comps"..... looking for ALL replies....newbs & seasoned veterans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #61
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: "Why I DO go to comps"..... looking for ALL replies....newbs & seasoned veterans

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Brian View Post
After coming back from nationals my desire to continue competitive rock crawling is at an all time High.

There were great courses, people were happy to help judge, and the competitors were awesome. The camaraderie was fantastic, Everyone helping everyone, with suggestions on courses or offering spare parts. I did not come across a single person that was simply in it to win it for themselves.

I was happily surprised to be part of such a chill vibe at this years nationals.
Brian,

Thanks for the reply. In my limited exposure (GSRCRC & EPARCC + NEQ comp) I have seen the same thing. While there are "the greats" at our comps, everyone is willing to help. Partly to pass on info, partly to try & expand the sport.

Yes, there have been a "few occasions" of someone getting "PO'd" on a course, but it's the exception, not the rule.

My son got me into this, our first comp met me with a LARGE amount of trepidation, but it was soon quelled.
I am grateful to meet those in the activity whether locally or larger.

I feel sympathy for those that have had a bad experience, wish they could crawl with those I crawl with.

Last edited by Charlie-III; 09-22-2013 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Fix typo
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #62
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: "Why I DO go to comps"..... looking for ALL replies....newbs & seasoned veterans

I think it's our responsibility to encuorage and help out the noob's. It's not there fault the 're not as up to date with the new set ups and parts. Didn't we all start there at one time???

The answer is YES, we all started at the bottom of the knowledge pile. So step up and help out whom ever you can, regardless the situation.
stelerzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:02 PM   #63
RCP CRAWLERS

I do it for the groupies
ZoSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 01:19 PM   #64
Quarry Creeper

I was into remote control cars & tanks back in the 1980's (Grasshopper, Hotshot, Fast Attack)

Saw the local guys playing one day up in the mountains while me and the dog were camping. Thought of all the fun & tinkering i did & still do. Pulled out my old stuff, bought a new battery and fancy new ESC.

I'm 45 and have been scale/crawling/comp for just over a year now, local member hooked me up with a good deal & good rig for a great price - learning a lot

The local guys are great and have a new group of friends that are very willing to help me and are happy to let new guys/gals run what they have, we fit them in and welcome new people.
Pat M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:29 PM   #65
RCC Addict

i live for the applause, applause, applause.
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:05 PM   #66
Quarry Creeper

Hey all. Gotta say there seems to be a noticeable difference in the atmosphere & attitudes that go with scale & crawler comps. Anyone whose done'em has surely seen as much. Scale comps still seem to be about fun & comraderie. Hell, we even get points for helping a competitor! You get to walk & talk as we negotiate the course too. One helluva contrast can be seen at a crawler comp. Inside or out, there's a hush as drivers deal with the course, one at a time. Evrybody seems to hold setup tips, close to the vest. Ever asked a contender about his foams? More often than not, you'll get a "i madem" , or "just some i had, don't remember". Maybe things are different where you are. This is just an example though. No wonder dudes are turning out in droves for scale stuff, & us crawler cats have to damn near kidnap folks to gettem our stuff! And the crawler "good ol' boys" as i callem? Fuggetaboutit! Be lucky to get the time from'em! Scale stuff is relaxed & fun, for the most part. Crawler comps are not. For newbs anyway. I try like hell to recruite. Seeing a tuned shafty or moa, do, what only a crawler can, blows minds! We just gotta change the atmosphere that we do it in.
jado6006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:26 PM   #67
RCC Addict

The crawler comps are not like that in our neck of the woods, nor have I seen much of it at the Regionals or the Nationals I went to this past year. I have found people to be open and friendly. In my opinion comp crawling is much more fun, open, and laid back then any type of RC racing I have ever done.

Maybe you need to promote some fun and comradery at your next comp event.
BC-Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:59 AM   #68
Rock Stacker

I have to say I go to comps for many reasons:
Spending time with my DAUGHTER (yes that does say daughter)
Seeing my friends
Seeing other people that share the same love in grown people playing with toys
A little bit of competitive fun never hurt either

Please if you are not doing comps or GTG find a friend that does and tag along you wont be disappointed.
ed701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:53 PM   #69
I wanna be Dave

Its quite a bit of fun to hang out with a bunch of 30-40 something juvenile delinquents and go get dirty in a pile of rocks somewhere...the great thing is that the old Tonka dump truck would never drive back up the hill...these things do.

As a designer and builder I especially enjoy testing my latest build idea or set up...which is usually far away from the norm. I was a dedicated supporter of a particular brand that went under and enjoyed comping with a "lower level" rig and getting on the podium several times. Winning or placing well is dramatically cool for sure but completing a hard course or pulling a nasty line with something off the norm that is completely unique to my rig is even better for me.

I do enjoy the competition but in the end...after all the scores are added up I really couldnt care less...having a rig that survives course after course and comp after comp without repair that is built with my hands and my designs....thats what matters to me...and sharing that time with folks who walk up and shake your hand when you arrive...priceless!
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:29 PM   #70
Rock Crawler

I've been going to comps again lately just for the fellowship and the learning involved. Getting back into the sport/hobby this spring and summer was fun.
Master Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:35 AM   #71

is the best way ti get tips from the pros and they are really fun too.
jarroyave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:12 PM   #72
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jslick View Post
I go to talk trash, make new commers feel stupid, then throw my rig against the closest tree when I do poorly, then go pout in my car.

I would never do any of those things, although I have seen it done. I go to #1 have fun, what's the point if it is not fun. 2nd to hang out with a great group of people from all walks of life that I would not have met otherwise. 3rd to improve my skills by watching, talking and learning from other drivers. Others have mentioned getting away from the family in a joking way. I don't have much "me" time and this is a great way to spend it in my opinion. I have had great opportunities to travel to large and National level comps and meet other great people from all over the world. I enjoy the conversations and the willingness of others to help out if you break your rig. I have met some great people because of RC rockcrawling.

I go to comps primarily to talk shit to Jslick and scour for any pieces I can use from his broken rigs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Purptr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:25 PM   #73
Rock Stacker

Some strange cocktail of the following:

I'm fourteen, live in the Colorado Foothills, love to hike, am miles from school and friends' houses, have something to do, the tuning aspect someone else mentioned, the feeling of accomplishment when I get better scores, and occasionally look for a "companion" in both senses of the word. Just off the top of my head.
tbird2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:24 PM   #74

I go for the fun of it .
bill mossor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:34 AM   #75
Quarry Creeper

I go because I have to. As I'm stoopid I became our rules guy in Finland and everybody bugs me with questions about the rules.

Well mostly I go for the chance to gossip with like minded people. And I can't knit to save my life and this was my second choice for a hobby.
Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:22 AM   #76
Quarry Creeper

I love going to scale comps. It's just like baseball. Just driving around and picking your own lines anywhere u want is like hitting plain old fastballs. Being at comps is like being at bat and trying to hit whatever that sneaky bastard throws at ya
ssdub33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:04 AM   #77

Who wouldn't enjoy putting their crawler through its paces at a competition?
As long as your there to have fun and enjoy seeing others crawl their pride and joy, then what a great way to spend the day.

I'm sure i'll enter a few, you would only get better and your crawler also with addidtional mods, etc.

Life's too short not to enter one. : )
HSPRoboCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:25 PM   #78
I wanna be Dave

Cause I run NorCal rcrc..............
roksloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:58 PM   #79
Pebble Pounder

The real question should be: "why would you NOT go to a comp"? I go because I can compete to see how well I do.
caleb.cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:18 PM   #80
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb.cole View Post
The real question should be: "why would you NOT go to a comp"? I go because I can compete to see how well I do.
Yeah pretty much, would be great fun to enter a comp, can't wait to enter one to see how i go.
Bully2RockRomper is offline   Reply With Quote

"Why I DO go to comps"..... looking for ALL replies....newbs & seasoned veterans - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Why I don't go to comps".....not looking for comp guy replies.... Charlie-III Newbie General 389 10-21-2023 11:47 PM
RECON G6 Challenge "The Superlift Southern Showdown G6" & "Outlaw Terra-X" DRIVNMF Recon G6 227 10-19-2012 10:26 AM
"Blackie" & "SouthSide Boyz" DAGUL Scale Videos! 1 01-16-2012 12:50 AM