Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: "Why I DO go to comps"..... looking for ALL replies....newbs & seasoned veterans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2015, 10:11 PM   #81
Try to Bend it

Default Re: "Why I DO go to comps"..... looking for ALL replies....newbs & seasoned veterans

Fun, Mates, Shenanigans, BB's, hanging shit on fellow competitors(in the spirit of fun) and to test my metal against other like minded folk.
Also, there is no better place to see what a particular mod can do for a rig.

Last edited by Highlucks; 08-09-2015 at 10:40 PM.
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2015, 08:09 AM   #82
RCC Addict

Default Re: "Why I DO go to comps"..... looking for ALL replies....newbs & seasoned veterans

I go because the rules have changed.
We (MNRCRC) have a very loose set and it's bringing creativity and sportsmanship back to our club as well as tripled our attendance.
djjiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:49 AM   #83

I love going to the comps because it give me a chance to really put my rig to its limits and see if all that money and time I e thrown at it worked! �� There are also a lot of my friends at these comps to that I do not get to see everyday and when I do get to see them I make it a point to catch up with each and every one of them. I've never come across a more willing friendly group of people since I've joined the crawler world, and now I'm to the point where I'm pulling people into crawling and U4 racing! Thanks for reading and glad to be apart of the forum finally, I have creeped for a while reason different articles and a friend of mine finally convinced me to get one.
Frogger480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:44 AM   #84
I wanna be Dave

I've loved Comping with my son in law, grandson and friends for eight years.

Competition teaches many life lessons like sportsmanship.

I belong to several RC clubs because I'm not as motivated when I'm a lone wolf model builder.

Competition is a powerful motivator for improvement.

At the end of a Comp day you know exactly were you stand and can see the areas in need of impovement.

When you compete in a club your creating a public record of your efforts where you can measure your improvement over time and revisit your past.

Competing in a Club is a great way to build lasting people relationships.

The bottom line is it's low budget fun and you already have the rig so it costs almost nothing at all to Comp.

It's all good clean fun and is a very healthy thing socially to do.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:27 AM   #85
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
I've loved Comping with my son in law, grandson and friends for eight years.

Competition teaches many life lessons like sportsmanship.

I belong to several RC clubs because I'm not as motivated when I'm a lone wolf model builder.

Competition is a powerful motivator for improvement.

At the end of a Comp day you know exactly were you stand and can see the areas in need of impovement.

When you compete in a club your creating a public record of your efforts where you can measure your improvement over time and revisit your past.

Competing in a Club is a great way to build lasting people relationships.

The bottom line is it's low budget fun and you already have the rig so it costs almost nothing at all to Comp.

It's all good clean fun and is a very healthy thing socially to do.

Good post.^^^^^
Krawler Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:41 PM   #86
Pebble Pounder

I purchased my first crawler, an SCX10 deadbolt, about a year and a half ago. I've been going to local crawling spots, but I never see any other crawlers. Three weeks ago, I went to a comp held by a local club. I finally met other crawlers, and they were awesome. Everybody was super cool and helpful. It was a free comp, so everybody gave me tips and tricks to help me, cause there were no prizes up for grabs. I've since been invited to go on a friendly crawl with several of the guys, then travel with them to a regional comp. My weekends for the next two months are going to be spent crawling with my new friends. So, you might say one comp changed my life.
rcntncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:33 AM   #87
I wanna be Dave

As far as RC competitions go, crawling/scaler comps are just a completely different animal from races. Seems like the crawler/scaler guys are there to have fun, commune with their fellow RC geeks, and see who's rig can do the best (while giving each other just a little bit of crap along the way). And, crawlers/scalers seem to REALLY want to help each other, especially the new guys to build the hobby. Many racers are good people, but their are too many that take racing as serious business, and too many are flat out rude.

Up here in the Inland NW, we have a pretty good crawler/scaler community. There are comps, but there are also a lot of trail/fun runs, this helps to mix it up, and to just have fun with our expensive toys.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:56 AM   #88

I would like to go go comps to see what others are doing and maybe learn some from others and what they are doing to make a rig better, from stock or diffrent comps.

It is really nice to see the rigs that are stock and how they perform from the mod ones.
jonesjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:51 PM   #89

Unsure if this is the right place to ask but where can I learn more about classes in the US? I am also interested in knowing which cars are the more popular per class. I bought an ECX Temper about 2 month just to test waters and I like it, I might be getting a bit more in to this in the future
greenstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:12 PM   #90
RCC Addict

For the comp classes...
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rcca-...-rulesets.html
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:13 PM   #91
RCC Addict

...and the scale classes
2017 Scale Rules
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:49 AM   #92

I have yet made it to a scale comp, but i did enter a bounty hill climb and it was awesome. The atmosphere was great i mostly went to meet some people into the same hobby as us, my truck didnt do to good because i was running a 55t but i won a controller and receiver at the raffle afterwards so it was pretty great and cant wait for the next one.
PorkChop88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:54 PM   #93
Rock Stacker

I go to comps because I think that's where the fun is at. You get to meet new people, get to see what other trucks are capable, and you get new ideas. You can't get that from just playing around on your own. You gain lots of stories to share about your comp adventures. Sure, winning is nice, but to me, its not about that, its all about how what you did and how you got there and everything in between. This is a hobby, and first and foremost, it should be fun. If a comp isn't fun, then that is not the comp you are looking for.
quark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 07:07 AM   #94

My local hobby shop is hosting there first year anniversary comp on 5/21, I'm looking forward to it as it'll be my first one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1980K30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 01:49 PM   #95
Rock Stacker

Although there are quite a few crawlers/scalers here in Greece we never had a comp... I am probably the newest but I am trying to set a dual course for both. The crawlers will get the hardest climbs and the scalers the most scenic ones. The place is a majestic rocky "sea" with great traxxion on Filopappou Hill at the feet of Acropolis and the Parthenon. Hopefully we should have it ready in a few weeks!

Last edited by Vagos2; 06-30-2017 at 02:20 PM.
Vagos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:39 AM   #96

Just went to my first comp and I learned so much. My rig is a super and they weren't running that class but still let me run the courses. Even though it was "just for fun," they still scored me so I would know how I did. It was immensely easier to understand some of the intricacies of things like scale points and scoring when talking to someone as opposed to just reading it. Not to mention it was just downright fun. It also helped me decide that I want to build a 1.9 scale rig and a 2.2 sporty!
Shooter87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:23 AM   #97
Quarry Creeper

What I like:
  • My daughter loves crawling with others
  • Meeting up with like minded people
  • Our comps are not taken too serious. Many classes.
  • Recording score is optional.
What I don't like:
  • Crowds
  • Crowds
  • Would like to see separate scores for scale and driving in my club. Perhaps some special tests for ties. Get rid of fluff bonuses.
scaled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 12:18 PM   #98
I wanna be Dave

I am a scale guy and scale comps aren't geared correctly IMO. Scale is the element of realism that we pour into our builds. Comps are set up on time (race). Yes there is 1.1 rock racing but you don't see to many Class 1 rigs throttling through trails for the best time..... Scale comp rules need to change.......
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 10:35 AM   #99
Rock Stacker

To start I am more into the realistic side of the hobby. I believe that doing what is closer to what a actual real class 0 (stock) or class 1 (mildly built) based rig would do.
Ive only been to 2 pay gatherings/ comps. First one was crawlapoloza and the other was a G6. The first 1 was very comp based and my rig was not built for that event, my fault for not doing the research. I had no idea what to expect. The 2nd one was a G6 and closer to what a the trail trucks i build would do, with some Very challenging spots even for how i build my trucks. Having fun is always the #1 goal. A group here locally did a poker run and it was a blast, winch and tow straps a must to help each other out like a overland adventure.
oklamopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 03:11 PM   #100

I've found in this last year of finally going to my local groups comps that I had more fun then I originally thought. I've learned way more about driving and setting up my truck. Also just looking at obstacle differently. Before I would of given up after a few minutes but now I spend more time looking at why I'm not making it. All in all I think their is a lot to learn from going out and driving with other people.
elirgraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote

"Why I DO go to comps"..... looking for ALL replies....newbs & seasoned veterans - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Why I don't go to comps".....not looking for comp guy replies.... Charlie-III Newbie General 389 10-21-2023 11:47 PM
RECON G6 Challenge "The Superlift Southern Showdown G6" & "Outlaw Terra-X" DRIVNMF Recon G6 227 10-19-2012 10:26 AM
"Blackie" & "SouthSide Boyz" DAGUL Scale Videos! 1 01-16-2012 12:50 AM