Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: "Why I DO go to comps"..... looking for ALL replies....newbs & seasoned veterans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2018, 11:03 AM   #101
Rock Crawler

Default Re: "Why I DO go to comps"..... looking for ALL replies....newbs & seasoned veterans

We just use to go for a drive in the woods and look for places you cant drive and then try to drive it anyway, so pretty casual and non competitive to be honest.
But my friend started to drive with some other guys as i have slipped into a deep dark hole, and they are using gates, and there have even been a few competitions here, though mostly just friendly GTGs with a few small prices.
So yesterday i got my act together and went along for a little wheel time, and wouldn't you know i secured the #2 spot right after my friend
Pretty good for a "stock" power wagon on C1 wheels on its #2 drive, so i might go again one day.

My friend drove the first 75% of the courses with his "stock" BOM with weighted tires but had to change to his TR4 as he stripped his plastic servo horn.
Maybe bringing his big Danes towing truck hexed his BOM

Mine are a scx 10.2 but only the frame rails and rear axle & links are axial.

The #3 placed car was one of the original SCX 10, unknown state of MOD.

The lineup +

Last edited by Peaker; 10-14-2018 at 11:06 AM.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2018, 01:15 PM   #102
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: "Why I DO go to comps"..... looking for ALL replies....newbs & seasoned veterans

So, i figured id make my post here in the "why i do go to comps" thread. Years back a built a rig, ran a couple very small comps with guys ive known and running a rig in the 2.2 shaft class as a complete noob! However, it was flat fun and an interesting adventure which furthered my person passion for rc overall. Personally rc is a my favorte get away from life, even when life puts my rigs on the shelf...i know they are still there for the next im able to jump in. This year for example...I unboxed a 10 year old rig and built it, ran in my first comp days after completing the build with very little run time to actually find certain weak links. Ill make it a point to say that i left the house before the sun came up, drove 2hrs north and made into the camp site in time to wake everyone up! Stangers i might add! LOL
I had a blast, made a couple friends and had great conversation about others builds and even met an online friend for the first time whom flew to Az from NJ just to play with his toy trucks! LOL Expensive ones i might add...
All of that in a nut shell, i failed on the course, i locked my lf in a crevice under a ledge, gate 2, course 2...snapped the cvd, blew offf the knuckle and snapped the c-hub all in one fould swoop of the servo!
Dude ive never seen before said, grab that rig and follow me! 15min later after rummaging thru every "mini" parts bag he had as well as more we could not an exact match for what i needed, but thats besides the point, where else does that happen!? Maybe im lucky out here in AZ to have a majority of the active people in all forms of rc are just out to have fun, see if their builds are as badass in motion as they are on the bench, and the ones that try n ruin this true statement find themselves kinda on out skirts of the stronger like minded guys whom dont care for drama and/or attitudes. Still being respectful and always wanting to help tho ya know!?
so yea, ill go back out to comps when seen fit to , but i will say this, no matter how nice and helpful one may be in this industry/hobby...dont F that guy over...become the next and pass on quality knowledge that youve successfully learned.

well, this thread also kinda logged me back in this awesome site just to type this out. enjoy your builds, enjoy the hobby, and be a good person!
SIK_BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 02:58 PM   #103
I wanna be Dave

Sounds like what happened at the AZ summer shootout.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 10:03 PM   #104
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaker View Post
We just use to go for a drive in the woods and look for places you cant drive and then try to drive it anyway, so pretty casual and non competitive to be honest.
But my friend started to drive with some other guys as i have slipped into a deep dark hole, and they are using gates, and there have even been a few competitions here, though mostly just friendly GTGs with a few small prices.
So yesterday i got my act together and went along for a little wheel time, and wouldn't you know i secured the #2 spot right after my friend
Pretty good for a "stock" power wagon on C1 wheels on its #2 drive, so i might go again one day.

My friend drove the first 75% of the courses with his "stock" BOM with weighted tires but had to change to his TR4 as he stripped his plastic servo horn.
Maybe bringing his big Danes towing truck hexed his BOM

Mine are a scx 10.2 but only the frame rails and rear axle & links are axial.

The #3 placed car was one of the original SCX 10, unknown state of MOD.

The lineup +

Its always nice to put a face to a name I see on here! Congrats on the finish!
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 08:25 AM   #105
Rock Crawler

There are talks about a real series next year, so looking forward to that.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:13 AM   #106
RCC Addict

Thumbs up Re: "Why I DO go to comps"..... looking for ALL replies....newbs & seasoned veterans

I love going to comps! I've met a bunch of great people and seen allot of amazing rigs. It gives you the chance to see how your rig really does. You can run your rig by yourself all you want, but you don't know how good it really does until you get to run next to other rigs. Looking at all the other trucks and how they perform helps to figure out the mods you would like to do to your rig. I'm not competitive I just go to enjoy the fun and see what others have done to their rigs. I try to steer clear of the guys that take things super serious so I don't step on any toes. I've only been to a couple comps but have enjoyed every minute of the ones I've been to.
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 10:14 AM   #107

The Comp scene in Texas is growing. We have so many options from 120 gate rig killers to activated out law courses, they are great way to meet others that share the love for rc.
fomocosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 04:57 AM   #108

I really enjoy the tuning aspect of the hobby... I like seeing the differences my changes make. vidmate mobdro

Last edited by kkusu5591; 01-04-2022 at 01:41 AM.
kkusu5591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 11:34 AM   #109

I mainly go just to challenge myself against my friends & family. I build my rigs how I like them to look, not what will perform the best. I also enjoy seeing how both me and my rigs do against others. Plus its fun to me to actually have a set course to go through instead of just free crawling. Comps are just another part of the fun for me.
RecklessTrent91 is offline   Reply With Quote

"Why I DO go to comps"..... looking for ALL replies....newbs & seasoned veterans - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Why I don't go to comps".....not looking for comp guy replies.... Charlie-III Newbie General 389 10-21-2023 11:47 PM
RECON G6 Challenge "The Superlift Southern Showdown G6" & "Outlaw Terra-X" DRIVNMF Recon G6 227 10-19-2012 10:26 AM
"Blackie" & "SouthSide Boyz" DAGUL Scale Videos! 1 01-16-2012 12:50 AM