Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Newbie Looking for help with a 1/10 scale crawler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2022, 05:48 AM   #1

Talking Newbie Looking for help with a 1/10 scale crawler.

Looking to get into Rock Crawling. Would like some thoughts on entry level 1/10 scale crawlers that can grow with upgrades. For comps. Thanks for your help
Tech-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2022, 08:37 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Newbie Looking for help with a 1/10 scale crawler.

axial has the best aftermarket traxxass is a close second
but what ever you choose you cant go wrong get what ever you like best
even the clones kick but these days

in my opinion axial has the most potential traxxass is strongest and redcats look the best but thats my opinion

the vanquish phenix is basicly a scx10 fully upgraded with all the best "vanquish " partz already on it and is the newest hotness on the market you can still upgrade them and customize them to your liking
but even rgts can be built in to a kick but crawler so get what you want and learn to drive it figure out what you like and dont like then make modification
the enduro is alot like the scx10 aswell and are vary simple

these are hobby grade models the nice thing about that is you can mix and match parts from different brands so just cause you buy one brand dosent mean you cant upgrade with parts from a differnt brand to a point anyway

Last edited by ferp420; 10-20-2022 at 08:44 AM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 09:12 AM   #3

Thank You! I have been in the short course truck world. Dirt Oval and Short course Racing. I just don't want to buy something I will regret. Axial has the most potential? As in up grades or? drivetrain? Thanks for your help.
Old 10-20-2022, 10:33 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

axial just makes alot of differnt rigs and alot of the parts are interchangeble
like the axles the og scx10 and xrmod variants the scx10ii then scx10.3 axles portaled or straight
wraith/bomber/smt10/// ar60 axles
then the rift axles
capra axles
then theres the transmissions the old ax10 3 gear thats vary compact and puts the motor low on the skid
then theres the 3 gear variants with the abulity to add dig or 2speed they mostly came on the wraith platform
theres the bomber yeti trans thats alittle more scale
the scx10.2 kit trans
the 10.3 trans

compaired to traxxass that only sells the trx crawler platform one trans one style of axles but there tuff out of the box youcan get them with locking and unlocking diffs witch is fun

since you have been in the rc world for a bit i would go for the vanqush and go from there since its basicly a scx10 clone most axial parts will work but vanquish is saposed to be the best so you shouldent need any upgrades but lots of customizing options to make it yours
Old 10-20-2022, 12:10 PM   #5

You know we are all looking for the best crawler for a cheap price tag. Axial seems to be pretty well known for nice crawlers, but with so many models were do you start? scx10, or the scxii. I have looked at the traxxas trx4 sport. Kind of want to stay in that price range. Thank you very much.
Old 10-20-2022, 12:31 PM   #6

Vanguish VS4-10 portal axle or Straight axle? Kits aren't but $10.00 difference.
Old 10-20-2022, 12:53 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech-7 View Post
Looking to get into Rock Crawling. Would like some thoughts on entry level 1/10 scale crawlers that can grow with upgrades. For comps. Thanks for your help

Answering a few questions may help others make recommendations

Do you have a preference for building a kit vs starting with an rtr?

Do you have a particular budget in mind?

And finally, are you ready to accept the fact you will most likely have multiple different rigs by this time next year??

Just with the info you provided so far, I think I would recommend either a basecamp, a Capra, or a Phoenix kit.

I’m not a comp guy, but most of the comp oriented rigs I see are using portal axles. IMO, the vp f10’s or axial ar45’s/Capra axles are the best portals all around. Personally I prefer straight axles for the lower cog/stability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 01:12 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
Answering a few questions may help others make recommendations

And finally, are you ready to accept the fact you will most likely have multiple different rigs by this time next year??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hahaha, this right here. ^

You definitely get sucked up into this hobby. Find something close that fits your general criteria, and start there. We're lucky that we have so many really good choices.

Last edited by DirtMerchant; 10-20-2022 at 01:15 PM.
DirtMerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 01:23 PM   #9

I personally know what you mean about getting suck up. I have enough short course Losi stuff to kill a horse. Ha Ha Ha! Money wise around $450.00 mark. Maybe I am jumping the gun on this. Because the crawler group around here might have some rules just for there group? I really don't know. Is there usually a beginner's class to start out in? Just watched some videos on Arkansas scale crawlers. Sorry. But thanks
Old 10-20-2022, 01:40 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

The quick easy to do answer is the BaseCamp.

the best answer is build from scratch.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 02:02 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Element ECTO or Gatekeeper, kit or RTR--You get overdrive right from the start and the ability to add a little more or remove overdrive all together

The SCX10.3 Gladiator is nice as its a longer wheel base rig. My only complaint is the axle/panhard bar mount, it breaks at the frame mount or on the axle housing. Its not a huge ordeal price wise but if you bust a housing you have to pull all the guts from the broke housing and put on another. Takes a little time to do. Not a deal breaker but worth noting

The Vanquish Phoenix kit has been on my list for awhile. I may end up with one eventually

For a 2.2 rig the Redcat Huntsman has been a solid platform. My friend got one and its been great. Has excellent ESC and Motor right from the start

Axial Wraith/Bomber are good 2.2 rigs but I hate working on them, the cage gets in the way

The Capra is a bit nicer to work on by its cage design but still kinda cumbersome

Since you have experience in the hobby already, maybe check out the Axial SCX10.2 Raw Builders kit? They just had a sale on them too $175. Maybe wait for another sale and get that for a second rig

Like the others have said get ready to have many more crawlers in a year...I have like 10 and am currently working on a Rock Pirates RC Interceptor build.

And I just picked up a Redcat Gen 8 V2 Scout. They are having a sale: https://www.redcatracing.com/

Best part about crawling is you dont need to be in a group or club. As long as the place that has cool obstacles doesnt have an issue with you running your crawler you can have fun.
1fox2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 02:25 PM   #12

Who had the sale on Axial SCX10.2 for $175.00 Sir? Thanks
Old 10-20-2022, 02:30 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Who had the sale on Axial SCX10.2 for $175.00 Sir? Thanks
Basically everyone, it was a mfg sale but I think it's over now.
Goos3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 02:45 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

the redcat gen8s are awsome and are onsale so are the marksman
the gen8 is a copy of the trx4 traxxass responded with the trx4 sport then axial jumped in with the basecamp
there pretty much the same class of vehicles a basic portal axled rig

my gen8 has been pretty much my go to rig since i got it and its been solid for many years
i just did a new body for it i used the discontinued axe version of the scout body and made my own custom half cab top for it

the gen8 kicked but at the time it came out as a scale comp rig right outbof the box but its old and the new stuff is just that much better

Last edited by ferp420; 10-20-2022 at 02:48 PM.
Old 10-20-2022, 03:24 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Yea the sale is over for the builders kit but the Redcat sale is still on going.

Sign up for Tower Hobbies/Horizon Hobbies email notifications as well as RPP hobby

Since late Spring this year there have been lots and lots of sales for crawling rigs
1fox2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 08:59 AM   #16

So where do you start? build a kit like the Vanquish vs4-10? Or Buy a ready to run? I just hate having another radio and junk esc, motor, and servo's. But I want to be competitive. Thanks for all the help. I will do some more research.
Old 10-21-2022, 09:01 AM   #17

From what I see they rock crawl more than trail ride.
Old 10-21-2022, 10:09 AM   #18
Ots
Quarry Creeper

I'm new to crawling (one year). I have a few rigs now and can feel pretty good about saying that after reading all of the above, skip RTR. Get a quality platform and build up from there. As you mentioned, you don't need an RTR with the lower quality components they put on to keep the price down. RTRs have their place in the world for sure, but you're far enough down the road that you will want better components. So whether it's a chassis or unassembled kit, take into account what others have said here and get one that appeals to you. I really think that in the long run you will look back and see that it was a good thing to do.
Ots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 10:11 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
From what I see they rock crawl more than trail ride.
most rigs on this forum these days are scalers or trail rigs that we lovingly call crawlers

there arent alot of true rock crawlers outhere for sale there are some but if you want a real crawler you have to build one

even in the 1:1 world the line between trail truck and rock crawler is being blured so there isent much of a differance between the 2
Old 10-21-2022, 10:21 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
So where do you start? build a kit like the Vanquish vs4-10? Or Buy a ready to run? I just hate having another radio and junk esc, motor, and servo's. But I want to be competitive. Thanks for all the help. I will do some more research.
As much as I personally hated the Redcat Gen7 (It works for some people. Not for me. Probably because I already spoiled myself with a TRX4) I'd have to agree with Ferp on the Redcat Gen8. The Gen8 seems like a decently capable rig right out of the box.

IMO, you should start with an RTR. Most RTR electronics are okay at best but it allows you to start with something that works, allows you to dip your toes without a huge investment, and they can always be upgraded later. If you've been in SC and dirt racing for a while, you might not like going slow.

Depending on how mechanically inclined you are, getting a kit as your first truck could become overwhelming with the amount of additional work that goes into them, but that might be exactly what you're looking for.

If you do go the kit route, I highly recommend the SSD Trail King. Like the VS4-10, it's funtionally a pre-modified Axial 10.2 that's a little more budget friendly that the Vanquish.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Last edited by smc-93; 10-21-2022 at 10:29 AM.
smc-93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Newbie Looking for help with a 1/10 scale crawler. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newbie here Hi ! First Crawler (Losi Night Crawler) First run on rocks video. Rearwheelin Videos! 4 07-05-2016 10:21 PM
What's best for newbie scale or crawler? The_Know_It_All Newbie General 29 07-03-2015 03:21 AM
Scale Crawler question from a newbie tommckay Axial SCX-10 9 07-29-2009 04:10 PM
newbie tlt scale crawler/trail truck c0astie31 2.2 Scale Rigs 3 02-18-2007 11:42 AM