Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: "Why I DO go to comps"..... looking for ALL replies....newbs & seasoned veterans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 04:43 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: "Why I DO go to comps"..... looking for ALL replies....newbs & seasoned veterans

i go to comps for several reasons
1. the friendship and comradery that exists in my local group
2. the technical aspect of crawling
3. getting to play outdoors
4. getting out of work on a saturday
viper6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2012, 04:52 PM   #22
RCC Addict

Default Re: "Why I DO go to comps"..... looking for ALL replies....newbs & seasoned veterans

I love comps.

I can't add anything that hasn't already been said, except for..........

I get to hang out with Rockedup Ricky!!!!
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:57 PM   #23
Old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post
I love comps.

I can't add anything that hasn't already been said, except for..........

I get to hang out with Rockedup Ricky!!!!
And at our last comp, thats all I got to do was hang out.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:17 PM   #24
RCC Addict

I go for the free coffee and doughnuts.
DRCrawlGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:39 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

I've never been to a comp yet, but it would be fun to weigh my skills and my rig against others. Also to see other rig setups and driving technique. One day when it's close enough to home and works with my schedule.
steele42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:47 PM   #26
Old guy

OK, here's the real true reason I go to comps. I go to KiCk some AsS with my toy truck, that I buildt cause I can build one better than any body, PoW, JUST kIcKeD AsS again.
Then after the comp I gloat and rub it in their faces Ha hA haHa. Then if any of them talk to me after that, I know I have a true friend.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:48 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRCrawlGood View Post
I go for the free coffee and doughnuts.
Coffee and Doughnuts, We dont have no coffee and no doughnuts. J.B. we need to get on that.

I realy enjoy the comp scene. For one there would not be any where near the level of crawlers or aftermarket parts if there was no competative aspect to drive it.

I am part of a great club. WARCRC, it is a realy good bunch of guys to hang out with, and they are all a very talented buch of drivers. Always willing to help out and never any hestitation to donate parts if needed. I can always expect to give and or get some loving harrasment. The club is family friendly and I have had my young son out there comping as well. It is just a great time. And the guys I have met there have become friends and on occasion I will spend some non RC time with them, although the conversation usually revolves around cralwers.

And of course the comps challange me to up my skills and build my truck to perform at its best. Nothing like trying to keep up with awesome drivers to make you drive your best.
TedBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:30 AM   #28

new people aside, i like comps when the rules are respected & followed by all and everybody has their rigs figured out and legal.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:36 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Hmmmm....figured we would get more replies.....maybe the holiday weekend is keeping people away.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:57 AM   #30
Suck it up!

When I do got to comps (its been a while) I go to hang out with good people, to have fun driving my truck, to push myself to do better than I did last time, and to make sure I go home with a smile on my face.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:58 AM   #31
Rock Crawler

I am just getting back into RC. I ran tayimas back in the day (Frog, Fox, etc) and I'm stoked about crawling. My wraith kit is in route to the house and I haven't driven a real RC in over 10 years, but reading this thread makes me want to go to a comp. Sounds like a blast. I drag race my Doge Magnum (its a Daily Driver too) for all the same reasons y'all have listed here, hanging out with my buddies, seeing if what I built can hang with other builds, and testing myself against other drivers. Once the Wraith is built, I've gotta find a comp to go to.
BadWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:07 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

I like to go to comps to hang out with friends maybe make new ones. challange myself against others and see what people did to there rigs to make them better. to get out and have fun, to push my rig and to see what I need to change for the next comp. hell if I didn't comp I bet I wouldn't work on my rigs as much
thomass14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:51 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

I go to talk trash, make new commers feel stupid, then throw my rig against the closest tree when I do poorly, then go pout in my car.

I would never do any of those things, although I have seen it done. I go to #1 have fun, what's the point if it is not fun. 2nd to hang out with a great group of people from all walks of life that I would not have met otherwise. 3rd to improve my skills by watching, talking and learning from other drivers. Others have mentioned getting away from the family in a joking way. I don't have much "me" time and this is a great way to spend it in my opinion. I have had great opportunities to travel to large and National level comps and meet other great people from all over the world. I enjoy the conversations and the willingness of others to help out if you break your rig. I have met some great people because of RC rockcrawling.
Jslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:05 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jslick View Post
I go to talk trash, make new comers feel stupid, then throw my rig against the closest tree when I do poorly, then go pout in my car.

I would never do any of those things, although I have seen it done. I go to #1 have fun, what's the point if it is not fun. 2nd to hang out with a great group of people from all walks of life that I would not have met otherwise. 3rd to improve my skills by watching, talking and learning from other drivers. Others have mentioned getting away from the family in a joking way. I don't have much "me" time and this is a great way to spend it in my opinion. I have had great opportunities to travel to large and National level comps and meet other great people from all over the world. I enjoy the conversations and the willingness of others to help out if you break your rig. I have met some great people because of RC rockcrawling.
Soooo.......I guess I should delete the pictures of your trashed rigs when you had a bad day??!! (jk )

I'm glad you:

1-replied
2-Sorta echo the majority of the sentiments in this thread.

I really do appreciate the replies here. I want to know if I had a decent read on "why to do comps".
I think this thread (as well as others) can help "club management", "comp promoters", etc. get a read on a decent slice of the RC crawling community and how to do/not do comps.

Please, anyone else feel free to comment regardless of your opinion (keep in mind, this is NOT the newb section, so I can't really help if flaming starts.......although I trust it won't.)

PS JSlick, congrats on your making it through another week in the Locked UP "team member search" contest.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:48 PM   #35

This was my first year going to comps, and after trolling here and some local sites for quite a while, I hit the local comp. Showed up with a mostly stock AX10 and pointed out on my first gate. The group I was with, made no negative comments, only encouragement. This is probably one of the most personable, eager, positive "sports" around. I know that hanging out with like minded peopleis always a good time. It's been said a few times already, but fun is the #1 reason, and a great way to spend my DAD day. I know my son is eager to come out this year, and I for one am totally looking forward to these extra times I will get to spend with him. Oh, and now I'm practicing, the 2nd reason is to kick some a$$ this year!!!
brettd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:37 PM   #36
Defy Gravity

i usually only make one comp a year, but i'll pitch in here.

the reasons i go to comps are:

1) to drive my rig in a comp situation. its much different than running around on fieldstones for fun.

2) talk to good people about crawlers and crawling in general. i'm a tech addict, so it is very fun seeing different rigs running and talking to the people behind the wheel.

3) the most important one, to have fun! i don't care if i'm first place or last, the people and surroundings are worth more to me than any bragging rights.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:50 PM   #37
WOOPOOW!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jslick View Post
I go to talk trash, make new commers feel stupid, then throw my rig against the closest tree when I do poorly, then go pout in my car.
LOL sounds like an old team driver I'm not going to mention at this time in fear of being hated on by other team nut swingers.

However, I used to love comps for all reasons listed above. However, now I feel that the family aspect has been lost among the comp drivers where I live. Now its everyone bitching about how far away a comp spot is when the people complaining about it dont live in our state or dont even show up after all their bitching in the first place Or the people who used to make the comp scene fun have moved on to better aspects of this hobby like scalers.

I would love to still own a comp crawler, but our crawling scene here has diminished greatly because of a heavy deal of na nana boo boo im better than you bullshit and I'm done with it. Or "My rigs better than yours because you dont have a job and I know how to swing by someones nuts and kiss their ass the right way"

you said COMPS, so I LOVE to go to our new southern buggy COMPS. Nobody gives a crap who you are, what kind of truck you have, or how far away a spot is. Everyone shows up with a positive attitude, they beat the crap out of their stuff and laugh every step of the way. If you need something, you have what you need without even having to ask for it being pulled from 3 different peoples bags. Its a great feeling that this hobby where I live got changed into what it is and wouldnt trade it for the world!
Colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #38
Rock Crawler

I'm glad our club isn't like this. We have a ball, everyone helps each other, super laid back.

Just a solid bunch of guys to hang out with as well as getting out of the house for some good clean fun.

It's also cool to see what kind of wild a crazy contraptions everyone comes up with.
ev0l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:15 PM   #39
NFG
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettd View Post
This was my first year going to comps, and after trolling here and some local sites for quite a while, I hit the local comp. Showed up with a mostly stock AX10 and pointed out on my first gate. The group I was with, made no negative comments, only encouragement. This is probably one of the most personable, eager, positive "sports" around. I know that hanging out with like minded peopleis always a good time. It's been said a few times already, but fun is the #1 reason, and a great way to spend my DAD day. I know my son is eager to come out this year, and I for one am totally looking forward to these extra times I will get to spend with him. Oh, and now I'm practicing, the 2nd reason is to kick some a$$ this year!!!
Ha ha! I hang with Brett at the LMRCC events and was there when he first showed up. He is a great guy and a lot of fun to compete against. The two of us had Shafty rigs so we had a friendly compitition/ rivalry going in Novice Class. On any given day it was a tight contest. He helped me along as I tried to do with him as well. Thanks Brett!

Now I'll have to admit that we do trash talk each other but it is all in fun. In fact our whole club is like that. It gets pretty funny sometimes. But at the end of the day any of us would be there for any competitor that needs help. Awesome crew one and all.

Our next season is on hold till spring but one of our crew Mike has started a "Just for fun" series. He has a massive pile in his garage and we meet the every few weeks to play (12 guys last time around). In fact this Sunday is our next gathering of the clan. Then another pre-Xmas Conp in two weeks. It sure is nice knowing that another comp is just around the corner.

So why do I Comp? Well all of the reasons have come up already. I can see me doing this for a long time. It's way to much fun.

And like Brett I like to kick some A$$! And this weekend a certain Cowboy is my main target. Oh..... along with Brett and a few others Axial Fan Boys. Ha ha!
NFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:37 PM   #40
RCC Addict

I've been comping since 2005 in pro crawlers and scalers and have loved the seen since then. I've met a lot of great people/drivers that I can call good friends from a lot of different states and countries.

What keeps me coming back is freindship, support, vendors that keep our trucks up to date with great products, RCC Forum, getting outdoors and I can just go on forever lol Point is that for all I think it's just the love of all of it

I've been running a club, "Team LERK" now for about 4 years and I can say that it always puts a smile on my face when everyone is enjoying themselves at our little scaler comps we put on and it's a bonus when famalies with there little ones come out to just play around. Thats probablly one of my favorite things about comping.

Last edited by JRock; 11-29-2012 at 02:39 PM.
JRock is offline   Reply With Quote

"Why I DO go to comps"..... looking for ALL replies....newbs & seasoned veterans - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Why I don't go to comps".....not looking for comp guy replies.... Charlie-III Newbie General 389 10-21-2023 11:47 PM
RECON G6 Challenge "The Superlift Southern Showdown G6" & "Outlaw Terra-X" DRIVNMF Recon G6 227 10-19-2012 10:26 AM
"Blackie" & "SouthSide Boyz" DAGUL Scale Videos! 1 01-16-2012 12:50 AM