Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: "Why I DO go to comps"..... looking for ALL replies....newbs & seasoned veterans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 04:20 AM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: "Why I DO go to comps"..... looking for ALL replies....newbs & seasoned veterans

So I guess this covers it? I sorta thought we would have had more replies.

Still, good thoughts here and I hope it helps out promotors & clubs get a read on this aspect.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2012, 04:44 AM   #42
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: "Why I DO go to comps"..... looking for ALL replies....newbs & seasoned veterans

I go for all the same reasons...

Will add, Boston Crawlers puts time and effort scouting comp locations and setting courses. More than half of them are on the ocean with amazing views. They get permission from land preservations to hold events as well. When the club cares about the experience, it makes a difference.

If we were parked under powerlines all day, my interest would be much less. Spending a day hiking, enjoying good company and the outdoors keeps me coming back.

Last edited by CAIRN; 12-14-2012 at 05:24 AM.
CAIRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:38 AM   #43
I wanna be Dave

I would never do any of those things, although I have seen it done. I go to #1 have fun, what's the point if it is not fun. 2nd to hang out with a great group of people from all walks of life that I would not have met otherwise. 3rd to improve my skills by watching, talking and learning from other drivers. Others have mentioned getting away from the family in a joking way. I don't have much "me" time and this is a great way to spend it in my opinion. I have had great opportunities to travel to large and National level comps and meet other great people from all over the world. I enjoy the conversations and the willingness of others to help out if you break your rig. I have met some great people because of RC rockcrawling.[/QUOTE]

This is a well worded reason I go to comps. Fun is#1.
stelerzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
So I guess this covers it? I sorta thought we would have had more replies.

Still, good thoughts here and I hope it helps out promotors & clubs get a read on this aspect.
maybe a 'why i dont comp anymore' thread would get you some more usefull info as well. could possibly turn into a shitshow...
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:26 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
Maybe a 'Why I don't comp anymore' thread would get you some more useful info as well. It could possibly turn into a shitshow...

Hmmmm.......I've received some of those, but, to make a "complete set", I will take your suggestion.

Thanks.

I really mean it.

[shitshow.....gotta love "stirring the pot".....]
Old 12-09-2012, 06:25 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
Maybe a 'Why I don't comp anymore' thread would get you some more usefully info as well. It could possibly turn into a shitshow...

Done deal..... Why I "DON'T go to comps anymore!!"....open to anyone

Thanks.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #47
Quarry Creeper

i have only been in 2 scale dash's and only been to 4 total comps, but i will say its what charlie said. my son love it, we get to camp, and its like a big family.

When i competed in Neuroc and later Werock, it was the same thing, all the competitors would get together sat night for dinner, tease each other, talk smack, then go help them fix their rig so they can compete the next day. its no different in the RC world. its like a family.

my first scale dash my motor locked up and the receiver decided it was going to not work anymore.
other guys, who i had only met the night before, where all pitching in and trying to help. i even had one guy took the motor out of his rig so i could use it.
i got to run that day and finished the race. it was awesome and made me want to do it again.
bmf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #48
rik
RCC Addict

i've been comping for several years now. and when i first started el presidente of GSRCRC told me what comps are about. and to this day, his words hold true.

"You go to comps for one thing, to compete against YOURSELF. Dont try to beat other people. Compete against yourself and try to do a little better each time. And, eventually, you will start placing."

i have read the other threads here, why i dont go, why i would, or whatever they are,. all i see, for the most part, is people bxtching. this hobby is not about winning. it is about building your rig, breaking it, and making it better. it is about hanging out with buds and having a great time.

Hell, i took me 3 years, 3 FRIGGIN YEARS to complete my first course. and when i did, i was happy as hell. but, in all the comps prior to that, never finishing a course, did i get discouraged. never did i get mad. never did i throw my rig in disappointment. (and i have seen that) i just learned from what i did wrong and tried to do better than last time. i learned from what broke and made it better.

Another large part is the group of guys your with. I comp with EPARCC, which at our comps, a lot of GSRCRC guys attend. and between those two groups, i learned soooooo much. how to drive better, how to build a better rig. if your local group does not do this, then find a new group.,

If your in this sport to just win, then you are in it for the wrong reason. to me this sport has a simple process. build it, break that shit, upgrade, repeat.and, get out to comps when you can.

Last edited by rik; 12-12-2012 at 05:35 PM.
rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #49
Quarry Creeper

As a newb I was very nervous my first time. But everyone there was awesome. It was great to meet new people. They were very supportive and helpful. Showing me how to pick a good line. How to modify my rig to make it more capable, etc. Just a fun time. And some of the views are amazing. Probably would have never gone there if it wasn't for the comp. Just wish I had more time and money to make it to more.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
asian195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:13 AM   #50

I started comps this year, we all seem to make the courses just "doable",
Really hard.
so my reason" why I go to comps" is to finish them all with no DNF's,
I hope to get there next year.
Crawlermad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:41 AM   #51

i started going to comps to get out of the back yard mostly.
Jerry1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:30 AM   #52
Pebble Pounder

Great topic and I will be going to my FIRST comp next month, there is one close to my area. I'm going to look for the guys who know what they're doing and ask, can you give a "newb" some advice on making me and my rig better. Maybe befriend a few of them and learn new things - plus I love to compete....
jjwiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:42 PM   #53
Rock Stacker

Not really competition guy, but I love to comp to get the most out of the other drivers an their setups, you can't learn more elsewhere than at comp
musta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:51 AM   #54
Quarry Creeper

Ok, here's my story:

I am into the 1:1 crawling scene originally. I had RC10s as a kid. I found RC crawlers while deployed to Baghdad Int. back in '09 when I bought my Creeper. It was cool, it was fun. Fast forward to '11 when I saw a post from this guy named Erin and a club named SARCCA. They were having a comp in one of my dream wheeling spots, Dragoon Arizona. The spot is called Texas Canyon. It is absolutely mystical there. Out of no where, these boulder fields and formations sprout up. Georgeous formations. When I saw this post, I asked about coming out and checking out the scene. The response from the whole thread was "NO, bring your JUNK AND COMP!" Well, not exactly those words, but close... you get the point.

That day was awesome. I had my family with me, and they had a blast too. I learned volumes in that one comp. The whole SARCCA family welcomed US; Erin, CreeperBob and his wife, Wes, Jack and his family, Guellermo, Javier... there is more that I'm forgetting.

All of this made spending quality time with my sons even more special. We planned weekends around crawling and comping. When Ian started driving, I was so happy that other male figures in the club would help teach Ian about lines to take and spotting for him. With him being a new driver, the last thing I wanted was to be that over bearing dad telling him what to do and how to do it. I just wanted him to have FUN, the whole reason for him to be out there. Thanks guys!

And then you have Charlies post #3... That is why I comp.
lead lobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:45 AM   #55
RCC Addict

I've been to my first competition, so now I'm qualified to write in this thread.

Here's why I do go to comps:
1. Learn more about the sport! How to drive better, what type of performance I can expect from my rig compared to other of the same class, how I can improve my rig, etc.
2. Meet like-minded. The annual competition is one of the few occasions I get to do that.
3. I can. (I spent about $750 (and one day off from work) on travel and living expenses for the one day event. That's affordable to me once or twice a year.)
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:29 PM   #56

ok guess the mod didn't like the last post so how about.............. meeting people hanging out with good folks (free beer?.......oh wait that's when I get home to my fridge) an watching so awesome scale trucks kickin it in the sticks or where ever.....yes that is a song name from Brantley gilbert
tobyjarett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:40 PM   #57
Quarry Creeper

I've gone to a few now and competed in one. its great to talk to the people and see the different rigs in action. you learn alot from watching other people and learn where you want to go with your own rigs, if you want to comp them or not. I took my nearly stock ridgecrest and entered into a 2.2 pro comp just for the run of trying it. it was a blast people were laughing and atleast a few people were impressed with what I could do with my poor excuse for a pro comp crawler.

had I gone to a comp before I bought a car I would have ended up with an scx10 instead of the ridgecrest. when I was buying I had no interest in scale, I didn't like the looks of them as they sat on the shelfs. but after seeing people customize they cars to the point they do, it made me wish I had got one.
Gravebane525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:08 AM   #58
www.ottsix.com

Judging by the number of COMP tires I've sold over the past 3 months...comp crawling is FAR from dead
crawl-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:33 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawl-o-matic View Post
Judging by the number of COMP tires I've sold over the past 3 months...comp crawling is FAR from dead
Naaaaa........ everyone is just looking to spend tax return money on something new in tires!

Old 09-11-2013, 01:01 PM   #60
RCC Addict

After coming back from nationals my desire to continue competitive rock crawling is at an all time High.

There were great courses, people were happy to help judge, and the competitors were awesome. The comradory was fantastic, Everyone helping everyone, with suggestions on courses or offering spare parts. I did not come across a single person that was simply in it to win it for themselves.

I was happily surprised to be part of such a chill vibe at this years nationals.
BC-Brian is offline   Reply With Quote

"Why I DO go to comps"..... looking for ALL replies....newbs & seasoned veterans - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Why I don't go to comps".....not looking for comp guy replies.... Charlie-III Newbie General 389 10-21-2023 11:47 PM
RECON G6 Challenge "The Superlift Southern Showdown G6" & "Outlaw Terra-X" DRIVNMF Recon G6 227 10-19-2012 10:26 AM
"Blackie" & "SouthSide Boyz" DAGUL Scale Videos! 1 01-16-2012 12:50 AM