Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: "Why I DO go to comps"..... looking for ALL replies....newbs & seasoned veterans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 08:15 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Exclamation "Why I DO go to comps"..... looking for ALL replies....newbs & seasoned veterans

OK, we have a:

"Why I don't go to comps"

Thread here.... "Why I don't go to comps".....not looking for comp guy replies....

We also have a:

"New class to encourage newbs.."

Thread here..... New class to encourage newbs..

Sooo...I guess it's time for a, "Why DO I go to comps" thread.

This is for anyone that wants to chime in, I don't care if you've done one comp or have multiple National titles and have been comping for 8 years, this is open to anyone.

Again, this thread along with the others may give more insight to comp promoters, clubs, etc. on why people do/don't go to comps as well as the ideas in "how to encourage newbs".

This is not intended to be a flame war, even though it's in the general forum, it's information for anyone to use.
Hopefully these threads help out.

11/21/12....8:47PM, thanks for replies.
As to costs, we usually charge "$10 for 1st class, $5/class after or.......$5/class. This helps cover:
-Score sheet printing
-Marker chalk
-Markers (we lose a lot at Manasquan.....sigh)
-Prizes for each comp (usually provided by Scatterbrains & his LHS)
-A little towards club expenses

While it's not much, it likely really doesn't cover real costs. I'm still happy to pay it though.
It also does NOT cover the time of those members that devote time to run things....remember, this is a group effort.

Last edited by Charlie-III; 11-21-2012 at 06:51 PM. Reason: added info at bottom.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2012, 08:25 AM   #2
Scale Detail Engineering

Default Re: "Why I DO go to comps"..... looking for ALL replies....newbs & seasoned veterans

The comps are what keep my rigs going... I make adjustments after almost every comp (or fix/replace broken parts).
I really enjoy the tuning aspect of the hobby... I like seeing the differences my changes make.
I love being able to clear a section that I couldn't the week before.

I also like the friendly competition and like to hang out with the guys in my club.
And, I enjoyed the feeling of beating Saydee after all his shit talking.

Last edited by johnnyh66; 11-21-2012 at 08:30 AM.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:25 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: "Why I DO go to comps"..... looking for ALL replies....newbs & seasoned veterans

I'll start off, in no particular order.

1-It's something fun to do with my son. The comp itself, the building, the practice at home. It's all time shared, hopefully it makes for some lasting memories.

2-The time to meet with other people that share a similar hobby.

3-To test myself, the rig & my driving, against others that are likely better than I am.

4-The chance to measure my growth (hopefully) as I build time in RC crawling.

5-The chance to see new places. I would likely never have gone to some of our comp sites if it were not for the comp itself. Rausch Creek is one fine example.

6-A good reason to spend time outside, hopefully it's not cold, raining, blowing, but that is one aspect of dealing with nature. You never know what she will dish out.

Yes, I'll admit the time (prep, practice, travel, etc.) is hard to find at times. The costs to drive to comps (time & money) can be hard to swallow as well.
Then there's the fairly constant, upgrade/repair/replace costs as well. As with most people, it's a juggle at times but we get by.

The reasons in 1-6 have to outweigh the downside of this hobby, it's tough to keep that in mind at times.

I truly appreciate the time our club guys spend getting things scheduled, set-up, scored and so on. I try to help out where I can and it adds to the appreciation & learning as time goes on.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:36 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

x2. Well said my friend.
strato54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:42 AM   #5
RCC Addict

the reason i go to comps is one to get away from the wife LOl JK
No really its just about getting together with some good people and haveing a good time
And i love seeing what i can pull off with my truck

Oh and beating the top guys is always fun to

Last edited by chevotafun; 11-21-2012 at 01:19 PM.
chevotafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:18 AM   #6
No idea what I'm doing

The number one reason for me is to see everyone, and hang out doing something we all enjoy. Most of my time is spent by myself, so it's great to get out and have a bunch of laughs. Win, lose or draw I've never left a comp wishing I hadn't gone

I also like comps because it's a great way to gauge your progress as a driver, and the setup of your truck. You can run your truck by yourself, but unless you have someone else there to compare to, you don't know if you're running well or if you can do better.

Many of these things can be said about GTG's, but those usually turn into a comp anyway. Basically they are the lite version of comps since everyone always tries to do lines their buddies have just done, and then try to find lines their buddies can't. If you like GTG's, then you'll more than likely enjoy a comp.

Lastly I really enjoy the history that you learn from people who have been around for awhile. It's always great to hear how things were done in the beginning, and see how things have evolved.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:21 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Post 3 by Charlie-III pretty much sums it up The friends ive made through crawling are a big part of it. Our little group down here are pretty good guys. Always willing to help.

Last edited by billj; 11-21-2012 at 09:25 AM.
billj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:24 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I am just a competitive person. I enjoy competing and trying to be good at everything I do. Plus it gives me the opportunity to hang out with other people who have some of the same interests as me. And lets face it, how many of us have shown our "toy trucks" to non crawlers and have kind of been dismissed with phrases like "Ohhh thats pretty cool...." But you can see that there is no real interest.

Additionally the feees for most local events are so small, most of the time the money goes for trophies and an end of the year GTG. I don't understand the need for a "why I don't comp" thread. JUST DON'T COMP! No-one is twisting your arm and you can come watch for free. I've NEVER heard of spectators being turned away. I just don't understand where the animosity comes into play. Most clubs also hold non-scoring GTG's that are perfect for those that don't want to be judged.
Bukwylde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:25 AM   #9
Yashua

On the button . And the fun of building the rigs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billj View Post
Post 3 by Charlie-III pretty much sums it up
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:26 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Pretty easy for me:

1. Seeing friends
2. Competing with friends
3. Little trash talk with friends
4. Learning from others mistakes and lines and truck tips
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:36 AM   #11
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukwylde View Post
...you can come watch for free. I've NEVER heard of spectators being turned away....

A most excellent point
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:46 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Because they are AWESOME!
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:57 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post

1-It's something fun to do with my son. The comp itself, the building, the practice at home. It's all time shared, hopefully it makes for some lasting memories.

3-To test myself, the rig & my driving, against others that are likely better than I am.

5-The chance to see new places. I would likely never have gone to some of our comp sites if it were not for the comp itself. Rausch Creek is one fine example.

6-A good reason to spend time outside, hopefully it's not cold, raining, blowing, but that is one aspect of dealing with nature. You never know what she will dish out.

Yes, I'll admit the time (prep, practice, travel, etc.) is hard to find at times. The costs to drive to comps (time & money) can be hard to swallow as well.
Then there's the fairly constant, upgrade/repair/replace costs as well. As with most people, it's a juggle at times but we get by.

The reasons in 1-6 have to outweigh the downside of this hobby, it's tough to keep that in mind at times.

I truly appreciate the time our club guys spend getting things scheduled, set-up, scored and so on. I try to help out where I can and it adds to the appreciation & learning as time goes on.

wow its hard to find anything else to say after this! nicely put
jeremyfowler33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:40 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I go to hang out with my friends that i brought into crawling, I was the one who introduced crawling back in 06 in Honduras, I also love to get better at driving so that one day I might make it to a nationals event in the u.s. , but I love comps for the feeling you get before and after , win or lose you always learn something to improve upon, I love to win , but I also enjoy seeing someone else have that feeling when I don't , plus I have to go to comps to help out my fellow crawlers with whatever I can bring to the table be it maintenance or interpretations to rules, really anything that can make our time together more enjoyable
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #15
RCC Addict

for the ladies
SINister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:15 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

I go to comps to see if my basic built rig can beat the most flashiest, expensive rig out there.
My first comp, I was running a full leaf set up and 2.2 slingers on steelies so I had to c3...I didn't do bad at all however the lack of a winch killed me as the reverses and hand touch flip overs built up too many points but I did place second to last. One of the regulars came up and said had I had a winch I would've probly placed in the top three. That would've been a huge upset against the rigs with 4ws, digs and brushless motor setups!
Now why I don't go to comps...I'm treated as an outcast even as I try to talk to other participants, mainly the seasoned guys who are all about competition. Some guys were ok and I made good friends with one of them. I went to four comps this year, the last comp I went to was if I wasn't even there. I was getting ready to drive the second leg of a c1 course and the judge, time keeper and everyone there went over to the c3 course, I was right there with my truck at the gate and the fact they didn't even acknowledge my existence was a bit hurtful. So, I went up to the guy hosting the comp and told him what's up and he literally told me he would judge me but really didn't want to as he was trying to get his rig ready, so I told him don't worry about and walked away.
As I was leaving, one guy stopped me amd asked why I was leaving and I told what the deal was which made him really upset I was treated that way. He said he would judge me and he did.
I got a dnf and that didn't bother me. It was that even afterwards, I still was invisible to them.
I was new to comps and scalers in general at that point and they knew that. Needless to say, I don't comp anymore, I don't need that shite from people which only adds to the other part I hate about comps...standing around waiting for your turn, its pretty lame and I don't like bsing for 2-3 hrs before my run....I just want to fricking drive!
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy looking at others rigs in person and hanging out but I got better things to do with my time than being ignored and being a statue.
GTG's is more my taste:thumbup:
railripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:00 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by billj View Post
Post 3 by Charlie-III pretty much sums it up The friends ive made through crawling are a big part of it. Our little group down here are pretty good guys. Always willing to help.

^
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:36 PM   #18
RCC Addict

I am going to add one other item to what Charlie has said. I have found this to be theraputic lately. I work my ass off in this tough economy with not much to show for it a lot of the time. I get home and I have a part that needs improving and at the end of the night after my kids are put to sleep I can get from point a to point b with something to show for it. Not much but something.

And also. I like the idea that even though this hobby costs money it could be worse. Strip clubs cost money too, but my wife is alright with a RC car. Not so much with a strip club (and my marriage is the most important thing to me this side of being dead), if you catch what I am saying. We need releases in our lives. This is a fun one for me.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:19 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

I go to comps to spend time with people that have similar interests to me. Where I am from there is noone local that has crawlers. So I drive an hour and a half to go to comps. The guys in my club are nice and super welcoming. It is like a giant team that helps out everyone. If someones rig breaks and we have a part we fix it. It is a community. The competition part of it is fun and an adrenaline rush. (I am a very competitive person) I just mainly like that with me building alot of my own parts my trucks can still hold their own. I love to see something that I have created with my own hands do just as good or better than something someone else bought. Lastly I really like to work on my rigs and improve them. Someone else said that it is a release and a time for them to relax. I agree completely with that. Sorry for Rambling.
avanord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:23 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

All, I'm glad to see the replies, I believe it helps all of us combined with the 2 linked threads.

I figured this was a place to see a lot more replies on this end of the hobby/sport.

I'm also glad to see I covered most reasons, but applaud the additional reasons people comp.....my ideas are not the only ones,just a decent upfront selection.

"Why I DO go to comps"..... looking for ALL replies....newbs & seasoned veterans - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Why I don't go to comps".....not looking for comp guy replies.... Charlie-III Newbie General 389 10-21-2023 11:47 PM
RECON G6 Challenge "The Superlift Southern Showdown G6" & "Outlaw Terra-X" DRIVNMF Recon G6 227 10-19-2012 10:26 AM
"Blackie" & "SouthSide Boyz" DAGUL Scale Videos! 1 01-16-2012 12:50 AM