Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: SCX10 Differences

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 11:50 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default SCX10 Differences

Hey guys, newb here. Im interested in getting and SCX10 but not exactly sure the differences in the 3. To me the Wrangler and the Honcho look the same just different bodies. The Dingo is the kit I know, and needs to be assymbled and all electronics. I'm kinda pushing for this one because back in the day when I used to race off road we built all are cars and that was half the fun.

I guess my question is if the Dingo has all the same suspension and drivetrain as the Wrangler and Honcho? Also, is the Traxxas Velineon setup ok for these trucks? I want to water proof it and this is an easy way to go plus my LHS carries this. I work were there part time for store credit and employee discount so this how I get my hobby funds. They can get anything from Tower and Horizon though so any advice will be appreciated.

Ive been out of cars for probably 20 years so other than buying a Slash and LNC last year all in know are planes and helis. Its like starting all over again!!!

Thanks in advance,
Jamie
BigGuyJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: SCX10 Differences

no clue about the differences in the SCX's. Yes, you 'could' run it, but no way would I run a VXL system in even a remotely stock truck like that.

Drivelines, axles, ring/pinion, and tranny gears I would change to stronger ones.

And that'd be more of a FoFF thing I believe, would make the truck allot faster.
MotoMudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:30 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

The Dingo and honcho have differant wheelbases. 11.4"&12.3" the suspension links are differant lengths but otherwise the same as is the rest of the suspension. You can get a ton of info by reading in the Scx 10 section.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:05 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMudder View Post
no clue about the differences in the SCX's. Yes, you 'could' run it, but no way would I run a VXL system in even a remotely stock truck like that.

Drivelines, axles, ring/pinion, and tranny gears I would change to stronger ones.

And that'd be more of a FoFF thing I believe, would make the truck allot faster.
<~~~~duh your right moto didnt even think of that part yet. Thats something I would like to do next though.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
The Dingo and honcho have differant wheelbases. 11.4"&12.3" the suspension links are differant lengths but otherwise the same as is the rest of the suspension. You can get a ton of info by reading in the Scx 10 section.
Thanks Lonely. There is alot of info but didnt know quite what to look for yet. That is a good start though thanks.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:12 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Get a kit, assembling it is fun. Get crawler specific electronics like a tekin fxr/35t combo, a servo with 250oz in + your rx/tx and you'll be set.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
heinie_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:35 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I would start out with the Dingo kit.

Changing bodies with the SCX10 is mostly changing the length of the links. Nothing says that you have to be limited to one body. I have a couple of different bodies. One is Honcho length the other is Dingo Length. Changing only takes a few minutes.

I would checkout the SCX section to see the different options for the electronics. I run the HH BRXL and Torque Master Expert 35T in my SCX10.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:29 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

As for electronics i have run 35t motor on 9.6 v though i am changing over to lipo now. I have heard 35 t motor w 3s lipo is amazing. I tend to hit mud water snow ect...so waterproof is a must for me. You can run the traxxas velinion controler with brushed motors, i am going to be picking up a hh brxl here pretty quick.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:04 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Location: somewhere near Los Angeles...or a city looking thingy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinie_21 View Post
Get a kit, assembling it is fun. Get crawler specific electronics like a tekin fxr/35t combo, a servo with 250oz in + your rx/tx and you'll be set.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
x2. Plus, you will know how to work on your rig if something breaks or you want to uprade something.

Last edited by OTHGbronco82; 01-09-2013 at 04:59 PM.
OTHGbronco82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:03 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Looks like its bingo on the Dingo then! Yeah I really want the kit so I can build and get a feel for all the parts. I think one more shift at my Lhs and I'll have it. Thanks for all the info you guys, keep it coming. I really appreciate it!
Old 11-25-2012, 03:39 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I built my scx10 but i didnt buy a kit. i had an ax10 sittin around an i bought a scx frame an rest was buyin an buildin parts. i run a BRXL water proof esc with a custom built 27t motor on 3s. i done my own links, in the kit there is a set of 4 link braces u can use instead of the basic y link.
PhantomRS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:32 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Just an update. I picked up a honcho when they came in stock an it's an awesome rig. I have a great place to crawl around work. So far I bought a 3racing winch which works with my dx3e. I'd like to get another spektrum with model memory and 3 pos. switch but it doesn't look there's anything but the "r". Anyone know if the dx4 has that? More than I want to spend but if that's all I can find ill save up.

Thanks again for all the help guys! Not sure what I want to do to it yet so throw ideas my way please.

P.s: I ordered an exo kit on Sunday so ill have something to build
Old 01-09-2013, 01:05 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuyJT View Post
Just an update. I picked up a honcho when they came in stock an it's an awesome rig. I have a great place to crawl around work. So far I bought a 3racing winch which works with my dx3e. I'd like to get another spektrum with model memory and 3 pos. switch but it doesn't look there's anything but the "r". Anyone know if the dx4 has that? More than I want to spend but if that's all I can find ill save up.

Thanks again for all the help guys! Not sure what I want to do to it yet so throw ideas my way please.

P.s: I ordered an exo kit on Sunday so ill have something to build
Nice, check out the FlySky radios me and several buddies like ours.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:10 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

I have never used a FlySky but am very curious about them as I have heard many great things. If you want to stay with a Spectrum TX, there is also the DX3C. It will offer what you are looking for.
Saadiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:26 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saadiq View Post
I have never used a FlySky but am very curious about them as I have heard many great things. If you want to stay with a Spectrum TX, there is also the DX3C. It will offer what you are looking for.
I want to stay with spektrum. I've been flying with them for years, and I already have 2 rx's. Does the 3c have a 3pos. switch? It just doesn't look like it in the pics and horizon's website description is pretty vague at best. I was hoping to get telemetry but I think only the S doesn't have the switch, the R is hideous, the C doesn't have it, I have the E which is really plain but working for me now. I really like the 4 but that doesn't even say if it has a 3 pos switch. Oh well, I'll figure it out sooner or later.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:06 AM   #16
Suck it up!

I bought a FlySky and sold my Spektrum a short time afterwards. Mainly because I got tired of paying $40 for a rx.

heyOK makes a winch controller for a 2 pos 3rd channel.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:42 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

I got the DX3C, I like it the 3rd switch can be set to any button- I got mine set to the "E" butttone. And the best thing about it is it is Compatible with DSM, DSM2™ and Marine surface receivers, and I get Orange DSM2 recievers from Hobby King for 10$. I Also got 4 wheel steering if I ever want that.

Last edited by 5VoltDetonator; 01-09-2013 at 08:48 AM.
5VoltDetonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:44 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

Also can someone tell me if the Rubicon RTR is the Honcho length or the Dingo length. I want a set of aluminum links - anyone know where to get some red ones?
5VoltDetonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Honcho length.
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhurst View Post
Honcho length.
I saw in the pics thread you were talking about a smoke maker. You're talking about making diesel exhaust right? Are these available or are scratch building something?

SCX10 Differences - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Differences? fivepointnine98 RC4WD Bully 11 03-04-2012 09:50 PM
What are the differences between the 3? Sydwaiz Axial SCX-10 7 01-06-2010 05:34 PM
Differences between SCX10 and 10TR? devestator_x Axial SCX-10 5 11-18-2009 07:07 AM
Differences between the SCX10 kit and rtr? liketocrawl Axial SCX-10 5 08-28-2009 06:54 PM
differences between ax10 and scx10 quarterpounder Axial SCX-10 16 03-24-2009 08:18 PM