Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: How much weight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 09:43 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default How much weight

New to scalers and crawlers just wondering what is the average weight you run on the tires and the add on weight you add to the truck its self ? lets just start with a basic scaler like a scx-10
rjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2012, 10:26 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: How much weight

I run 3oz in my front wheels only, though alot of guys run alot more,like 6-9 oz in front and 3-6 oz in rear. Chassis weight i dont run any-but beef tubes and knuckle weights are options.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:42 AM   #3
I joined the Band!

well since mine is for fun. i had 0 weight on my ax10 with stock rock lizards and axial beadlocks. I purchased a RTR (scx10 style) and it came with tires that were HEAVY..
my old ones were 5.6oz each.. these new ones are 12.2oz or so each... so I gained A LOT of weight.. cant break the allens free to take the weights off so leaving them there for now...
i really like the difference of the weights... truck is more capable now.. however with it all being rolling weight.. i had to change from a 27t motor to a more turn motor.. 55t maybe too much but works for me...
now i have to get my center of gravity a bit lower as now i can crawl better and get to points where i normally couldnt get to.. so now i see more tipping points...
RootBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:51 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I like heavy, about 6-9oz in the front and about 3-6 in the rear but it all depends ok how my rigs are setup too. I think it helps the rigs handle a bit more scale imo
railripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:25 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the quick replies I'm running 3oz in front and 1 oz in rear and it just seems like it it likes to roll pretty easy so I will throw some more weight at her I just didn't want to go to far, now I have a base line to go by. Also I see 8 degree chubs and knuckles do I need them? or is stock axial fine this is on a stock scx-10 with 4 link that now doesn't have crap for steering since I converted it to 4 link
Old 11-20-2012, 08:37 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Check out posts 115-120 ( i think) in my build (link in my signature) for what I saw upgrading the steering. I am really happy with it and wouldn't do it any other way. As for weights, I think I am running 3 oz of weight added onto each front and 2.5oz onto each rear...trying to offset my heavy hardbody. I wouldn't run that much weight if I didn't have to, although like railripper said it does help the scale effect. The way the heavier rigs handle bumps and jumps is way more scale than the 5-6 pound rigs.
Ramination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:41 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by railripper View Post
I like heavy, about 6-9oz in the front and about 3-6 in the rear but it all depends ok how my rigs are setup too. I think it helps the rigs handle a bit more scale imo
I'm with railripper on the weight amounts.

One thing I will add is to be mindful of your shock spring strength when determining how much weight to use in the wheels. I have class 2 and class 3 scalers, and both use very light or regular light shock springs. You want the weight on the wheels to not only lower the center of gravity of the truck, but also to help get the most use out of your suspension. During articulation, you want the shocks to compress/extend a lot before tires start lifting off the ground.
Josh_Br is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:42 AM   #8
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramination View Post
Check out posts 115-120 ( i think) in my build (link in my signature) for what I saw upgrading the steering.

just a quick look on the first few items.. $100ish off the bat without beef tubes.. WOW... not as cheap as i was hoping..
RootBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:45 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootBreaker View Post
just a quick look on the first few items.. $100ish off the bat without beef tubes.. WOW... not as cheap as i was hoping..
The Axial brand c-hubs and knuckles are expensive, I only used them because I got a killer deal on them. XR-10 steering is the way to go though, even if you start with the plastic knuckles and hubs and work from there. I was skeptical as I was doing it, but after seeing the results I am very happy with it.

Last edited by Ramination; 11-20-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:34 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Here you go:

Knuckles, $18.99: Axial AX10 Scorpion Black Aluminum Steering Knuckle Hubs by STRC STA80004BK | eBay

C-hubs w/ added caster and set screws, $27.88: Axial AX10 SCX10 Added Castor Angle C Hubs AX10 Billet Aluminum | eBay

AX10 and SCX10 axle parts are interchangeable.
Josh_Br is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
The Axial brand c-hubs and knuckles are expensive, I only used them because I got a killer deal on them. XR-10 steering is the way to go though, even if you start with the plastic knuckles and hubs and work from there. I was skeptical as I was doing it, but after seeing the results I am very happy with it.
Thanks for info I just order parts I was wondering do you run the xr-10 axles in the the rear to? and also my servo is mounted in the frame steering mod should work? any thing is better then what I got
Old 11-20-2012, 09:59 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_Br View Post
Here you go:

Knuckles, $18.99: Axial AX10 Scorpion Black Aluminum Steering Knuckle Hubs by STRC STA80004BK | eBay

C-hubs w/ added caster and set screws, $27.88: Axial AX10 SCX10 Added Castor Angle C Hubs AX10 Billet Aluminum | eBay

AX10 and SCX10 axle parts are interchangeable.
looks good but I think you need xr-10 stuff not ax-10 thanks anyway
Old 11-20-2012, 10:03 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwalker View Post
Thanks for info I just order parts I was wondering do you run the xr-10 axles in the the rear to? and also my servo is mounted in the frame steering mod should work? any thing is better then what I got
My rear axle is completely stock, in other words its all scx10. As for the frame mounted steering, yes it should work just fine. I fully intend to convert mine over...I just end up driving it every time I go into the garage to work on it.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:34 AM   #14

In addition to what these guys said..... My SCX-10 kit had me mount the battery in the back, which really unbalanced my truck. So to make up for it, I put sticky weights on the front axle, and the front of the frame just inside the bumper. I have 6 oz extra weight on the front separate from the tires and Im still a little heavy in the back. Currently running 4 oz front tires and 1 oz back. Thinking I might go up to 8-F and 3-R. Thats just my experience, If you're battery is front mounted, you may not need the extra weight outside the tires.
CarolinaCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:34 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Well I finally got my xr-10 hubs & knuckles in and boy do I got steering now unbelievable difference. I just used the plastic parts for now seems to work pretty good thanks ramination for the tip best mod I did period.

Attachment 217063

Attachment 217064

Attachment 217065

Attachment 217066

Last edited by rjwalker; 01-16-2016 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:51 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Looking good man, nice work. Did you notice a slight increase in width on the front with the plastic hubs and knuckles?
Old 12-03-2012, 09:09 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Looking good man, nice work. Did you notice a slight increase in width on the front with the plastic hubs and knuckles?
I gained roughly 8mm over all so visually you really don't even notice it the steering gain you get it is well worth it thanks again. They really should do a sticky on this because it is a must do mod major improvement from stock

How much weight - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wheel weight / axle weight advice JeffK11 RC4WD Bully 6 03-15-2012 03:30 PM
Wheel weight Vs Axle weight. Simon.O. General Crawlers 33 02-15-2010 07:01 PM
Wheel weight or diff weight? PipeDreams Tires and Wheels 4 11-06-2008 05:20 PM
Wheel weight vs. chassis weight ratio OR spung/unsprung bias solomon7 Tires and Wheels 15 08-02-2008 06:26 PM