Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: New Crawler - Wraith x R1 G-Made x Rock Force

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 06:12 PM   #1

Default New Crawler - Wraith x R1 G-Made x Rock Force

Hello,

I have a Venom Creeper with 35T, 3S and Tekin ESC.

It became a little weak. I already had some parts broken and I am thinking a new RC but a stronger one.

What should I do?

Wraith - the scale look really atracts me
R1 G-Made - I really like the looks and the portal axles
Rock Force - It looks it is the stronger between the three

I will put the Venom to run, It will be probably a 55T to slow moves. I would like a rock racer/rock bouncer.

Any tips on which model?

Thanks
matoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2013, 08:37 AM   #2
No idea what I'm doing

Default Re: New Crawler - Wraith x R1 G-Made x Rock Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by matoso View Post
I would like a rock racer/rock bouncer.

Any tips on which model?

Thanks
My vote would go to the Wraith. Especially if you like the looks already.

Welcome to RCC
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

X2 for the Wraith...

It's a much better looking rig right out of the box, and it will be 10 times easier to find parts for it...
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:15 PM   #4

But is it resistent?

Will it handle jumps and bumps?
Old 01-02-2013, 05:22 PM   #5
rik
RCC Addict

i say the wraith as well. and yea its resistant.
rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I have the Wraith and the Rock Force. I'll take the Wraith over the RF any day of the week. Don't get me wrong. I enjoy the RF but the Wraith is so much more versatile and way better aftermarket support.
40 grit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:53 PM   #7

This is a good info.

I will look for some promo for the wraith.

Thanks...
Old 01-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I've owned my Wraith over a year now, while I've only had my Creeper three months. Sorry, never even seen an R1.

What are you breaking on the Creeper? I put mine together with an ingenuitive BTA, extended upper links, and siped the tires. Otherwise stock. Mines been holding up very well with a 17 turn, a 13 tooth pinion, and 2s power. Almost twenty packs through it now. I've broke a couple rod ends from very rough tumbles, but that's all.

The Wraith is a kit I OCD assembled with all the proper shims/spacers, and machine thread bolts with nuts wherever possible. The kind of stuff Axial doesn't give you. I then broke it consecutively for over a dozen packs. I dumped over $300 into it for upgraded trans gears, axle gears/shafts, spools, pinion/spurs, driveshafts, links, knuckles, C's, wheels, multiple servo's including Hitec 7954's, and the chassis a couple times. That was with a Pro 4 3300 on 2s. Tried 3s, basically rips the tires off the wheels as they try to rip the truck apart. Didn't seem very practical to me. It is a fun truck to drive, so I stuck with it and just kept upgrading what broke. Kind of turned into a money pit, but now I feel happily buried in it.

I told myself that the power was the problem, so I bolted in an Axial 27 turn and drove the upgraded rig all summer without issue. Then comes winter, so I stuck a Castle 3800 4 pole geared 20/80 for decent snow bashing wheelspeed. Started having spool/axle problems almost right away. Could be all that WOT lock-lock steering...

From my understandings, the low gearing of the creeper trans, combined with the lack of a slipper, make the truck ill suited for big power (what I consider 3s and up, or basically any non-crawler brushless), high speeds, or jumping. That's fine with me, I know it's a rockcrawler and drive it accordingly.

Doesn't matter what you get, your going to break more parts if your jumping. I've broken 3 stock chassis rails during "poor" landings.

The stock Wraith chassis looks cool, but I feel it lacks for structure in a few key areas, such as the rear shock mounts and front bumper supports.

Even though I'm personally anti-Kyosho ever since owning a USA-1, it's hard to deny the inevitable strength gain from going to true 1/8 scale diffs, shafts, and housings. I'm willing to bet they hold up to power way better than the Axial axles.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Wraith seems to be most common in the buy and sells. Likely going that route for no other reason
Bansh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:41 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I think a wraith KIT is a good idea. You might want to upgrade the transmission gears and driveshafts. Many people that buy the rtr complain about the electronics and the way they are assembled so you might as well build it yourself.
spookyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:00 PM   #11

I own both the Wraith and R1, but I think the wraith is a better built unit. I say buy the wraith!
rgall30 is offline   Reply With Quote

New Crawler - Wraith x R1 G-Made x Rock Force - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kyosho Rock Force or Losi Mini Rock Crawler? YSL General Crawlers 22 06-06-2009 09:59 PM
Getting ready to get my first Rock Crawler, which one, the Rock Force or Axial AX10? ragfire10 Newbie General 11 03-04-2009 06:02 PM
Look for a Rock crawler Rock Force or Losi 1/10 sally1800 Newbie General 1 12-13-2008 10:05 AM
Can the Kyosho Rock Force body be made comp legal? killjoyken Paint and Body 3 11-27-2008 10:40 PM