Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Best Mod potential

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #1

Post Best Mod potential

So just to get somethings out first. I have used the search button on this site as well as google and have learned a lot but have also furthered my confusion in areas.

My driving style. I don't want to do official comps, so no strict scale requirements nor crazy looking comp crawlers. Saying that I want to have the best of both worlds. I will want to add plenty of scale details (I.e. winch, tools, lights, etc.. ) but don't need them and I want to take advantage of the best crawling abilities. I don't need full wraith speed stability since I won't be doing any high speed turns, though I would enjoy a little speed to get from obstacle to obstacle with a priority on crawling abilities. I will be switching out all electronics for waterproof ones, so no need to worry about RTR factors. Ask more questions if needed forum...

Ideas so far. I am mainly concerned about chassis mod/upgrade potential. Although I do want to spend more time driving then building (I don't want to build a complete rig from scratch and I would rather buy upgrades). I am trying to decide between a scx10, ridgecrest, and wraith. I love the scx10 for scale possibilities but have full desire to make it into a wroncho. I love the ridgecrest for the already wide wheel base and shorter then wraith length. Like the looks of wraith but wonder if large bottom plate will get hung up more than the small ridgecrest bottom plate.

Questions: which one has best LCG (low) potential? Would I benefit a lot from the ridgecrest short wheel base and small bottom plate(reduction of getting high centered, which I also understand has a lot to do with driving ability and line choosing)? Any other suggestion? Fully modded, is one going to be heavier than the other? If I mod a chassis to it's best scalish crawling ability, will it severely hinder body mounting abilities? How different is a Wroncho from a ridgecrest from a wraith? *** NOTE I will be adding my own waterproof electronics ***

Sorry for first long post just trying to be as specific as possible. Thanks for all the future responses.
HonestRCDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2013, 01:02 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Best Mod potential

The Ridgecrest is the newest design and doesn't seem to have many 3rd party option parts.
Wraith and SCX10 both have plenty of after market parts to make them better.

Losi Night Crawler (LNC) is decidedly a better crawler, but less suited for the "scale" options you want.

If you want a scale crawler rather than a scale on/off road vehicle then go for the Wraith!
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:25 AM   #3

I'm in the same situation. Debating between the ridgecrest and scx10. There is a great build thread of the ridgecrest on here somewhere but it was pretty in depth. If scale interests you the scx10 seems to have endless possibilites. I personally don't like the looks of a long wheelbase wraith.
MikeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I'd get the SCX10, it's the best out of the box stock and surprisingly capable.Word of warning though, if you plan on more power you will spend a lot of money upgrading the drivetrain.Axials are good but you need to spend some time reading on what mods are good, what parts and stuff like this.
TNT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:04 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I would start out with the Ridgecrest. That will give you a rig that is ready for you to run so you can try it out.

If you decide that you still want a Wroncho, then you buy a SCX10 frame and body. You move the Ridgecrest parts over to the new frame to build the Wroncho.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #6

Thank you for the reply's so far.

"If you decide that you still want a Wroncho, then you buy a SCX10 frame and body. You move the Ridgecrest parts over to the new frame to build the Wroncho."

it's good to know that I could switch to a wroncho from a ridgecrest by just getting the Ladder frame and new body of choice. But why not just start out with a Honcho instead? Like I stated before I have no concerns about the vehicle being ready to run. So my question is to you would I gain anything as an end result by starting with a ridgecrest vs a scx10? Or would I get the same exact vehicle... I.e ridgecrest comes with larger tires... What else?

TNT1, I don't know of many vehicles that you wouldn't benefit from by using upgraded parts, Axial or not. What do you consider "more power"? And from what I have previously researched the scx10 seems to be the most solid "out of the box", to agree with you. But once again I am more concerned with end result.

I don't want to buy a Wraith just to eventually upgrade it and then realize that if I had only started with an scx10 and switched to wider axles I would (this is just an assumption and my ultimate question) have a superior crawler due to its lower COG and shorter wheelbase. Does this make sense? And is there any benefit to the ladder frame (if that is what it's called) of the scx10 other than scale realism?

If anyone thinks I should move this out of the newbie thread please let me know. I realize I am asking for people to be pretty technical for me.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

wraith can crawl surprisingly well with a low ride height sticky tires and weight distrubuted properly.

this is a forumn not a search site i see no reason why a question wouldnt be asked.

i wanted a wraith for a long time and finly got one and its amazeing. i bought the kit put a power plant in it and bone cheap servo and have bashed it like crazy i have no aluminum axle upgrades and i havent broke anything. though my motor has been eating up the tranny gears.

the honcho and ridgecrest are also just as cool just alittle difrent coolness then the wraith
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #8

Thanks for all the advice guys, it's been great! But still looking for direct answers to my original questions.

Revised Q's:

1) Between wraith and scx10 which one, fully modded, has best LCG potential?
2) Crawling wise how different is the wroncho from ridgecrest?
- I wouldn't do a sporty ridge just a good scale ridgecrest
- Does frame of scx10 hinder some flex in comparison?
3) What other differences are there between a wroncho and wraith besides looks and longer wheelbase (functionality)?
Old 02-19-2013, 03:19 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

SCX has the most options. Compatible with all sorts of parts and winch's look good on them and not so hot on the wraith's the coolest ideas are get an SCX then do the wraith axles and large monster truck shocks. Some of the most wicked SCX's are done that way and Can then go through EVERYTHING!

Dominator1's Wraith/SCX JK build by ScaleReady
silversweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:29 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestRCDad View Post
Thank you for the reply's so far.

"If you decide that you still want a Wroncho, then you buy a SCX10 frame and body. You move the Ridgecrest parts over to the new frame to build the Wroncho."

it's good to know that I could switch to a wroncho from a ridgecrest by just getting the Ladder frame and new body of choice. But why not just start out with a Honcho instead? Like I stated before I have no concerns about the vehicle being ready to run. So my question is to you would I gain anything as an end result by starting with a ridgecrest vs a scx10? Or would I get the same exact vehicle... I.e ridgecrest comes with larger tires... What else?
The Ridgecrest also comes with the AR60 axles that you need to make a Wroncho. It turns out to be slightly cheaper to start with the Ridgecrest and use a SCX10 frame than start with the SCX10. A set of AR60 axles run about $140.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:41 PM   #11

I have a honcho, my uncle has a wraith. I love the honcho, mine crawles better than uncles wraith (we both run weights in our wheels and he went to a set of saddle packs located in the front of the foot wells), although there are a lot of times when his added width really helps on the off camber stuff. One thing about the wraith is that you could probably build one totally out of aluminum if you desired. I don't know of any other truck that you can get more goodies for than the wraith. The wraith seems to be a little longer so if you lower it a bit it'll probably climb better than a scx and I envy the fact that the wraiths tires are the first thing to contact the rocks instead of the bumper. As far as wronchos go I think the main thing is the fact that it makes it easier to change bodies. The rollcage of the wraith is the backbone of that truck, take it away and you have the center skid and some links with the axles dangling off them. With a scx based rig you change the body posts to whatever length you need and just mount the body, all the suspension and drivetrain stays on the frame like a 1:1. My uncles wraith flexes better than my honcho but then you have to remember that the links and shocks are longer and they are coupled to an axle that is wider, I don't think the frame itself has much to do with it.
Jason Gross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:59 PM   #12

Looking at my previous post I just wanted clarify a bit on my comparison between my honcho and my uncles wraith. We both have aftermarket tires. He runs 2.2 rc4wd baja claws on some really nice integy wheels (no, really those wheels are nice, integy or not) and I run 1.9 proline tsl on plastic axial beadlocks. I run a goat 3s on 3s with the 21.5 motor, he runs an integy 55 turn on the stock axial speed control, 2s. We both run aftermarket servos and steering linkage. My suspension is all stock, he runs stock links with some gmade shocks that came with some softer springs, we are both more or less stock height. His suspension feels better than mine and those baja claws are made out of the new, softer compound and they stick. Overall my honcho goes better in our particular environment of dirt and volcanic rock at this stage of our mods. Your results with similar trucks may be different depending on your driving abiity and terrain.
Jason Gross is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
best crawler, chassis, kit, scale, upgrades

Best Mod potential - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Potential shocks? durwank Axial Wraith 5 01-25-2013 08:25 PM
Potential for damage? Hounddad Electronics 5 11-05-2011 01:57 PM
3s to 6s... potential issues? rustyrooster Newbie General 9 10-19-2010 10:44 AM
Scaler potential.... crawler_king Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 23 09-07-2008 11:47 AM
Does this have 4x4 potential?? TheNewbie Tamiya TLT Crawlers 3 01-31-2005 07:09 AM