Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Some Wraith Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Some Wraith Questions

This is my 1st RC Car since I was a kid (I'm 30 now) I have never owned a "hobby" car- just Wal-Mart specials. Back in the day, I had a Tyco Lamborghini Diablo that was god awful fast and ran off 9.6 volt NiCad batteries (needless to say, I am blown away by these LiPos!!). I also had the Tyco Re-Bound which would pretty much go anywhere. Well, I always wanted an RC Big Foot that I could drive through my woods, and a couple of weeks ago, I made the mistake of going into the local hobby shop with my cousin, an RC nut. He advised the Wraith to me, and here she is:

I am extremely pleased.

I do have a couple questions. For general purpose woods driving and rock attacking, which modifications would ya'll recommend? I am a relentless tinkerer and life time gun nut, so I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy working on this thing.

Secondly, my cousin is getting the Twin Hammers, and I just watched a video of it. Now I am wondering if I should have waited and gotten it- what do you think?
copenhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #2

Default Re: Some Wraith Questions

I personally would have bought the wraith over the twin hammers myself, just my opionion(I own a Ridgecrest). The after market option is so much larger for Axial as well. Since they share the same Axles I can tell you I found the steering to be the weakest part out of the box. I have upgraded my steering linkage, and have the Universals ordered. Once the stock servo dies I will be upgrading that as well.
sjs88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:09 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

There is a great link in the wraith section here on RCC for wraith beginners. Offers a huge range of knowledge check it out
Epcampau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:26 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I would run everything stock until it breaks or you find a problem that won't let you do what you want with. With this approach you will learn how the various upgrades affects the performance of the Wraith and you will put your $$$ in the right upgrade.

IMHO, the Wraith is the right way to go. It has large selection of 3rd party vendors and lots of people here with first hand experience with them. Also you won't have the issues that occur with the first rev of any rig.

Check this out for more info.
Wraith Beginners Guide
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7zpj View Post
I would run everything stock until it breaks or you find a problem that won't let you do what you want with. With this approach you will learn how the various upgrades affects the performance of the Wraith and you will put your $$$ in the right upgrade.
..I like this approach.

I was looking at some videos of the EXO and it looks awesome too, but I doubt there are too many places to run it here in SC as we don't exactly have much desert and it seems a little low for the woods and field.
copenhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:59 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

The wraith is a good choice. Upgrade as you break it. Read the wraith section lots of tips on there. Welcome to the forum and good luck with your $$$$$$. Lol. It's addicting.
Jeykito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:38 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by copenhagen View Post
..I like this approach.

I was looking at some videos of the EXO and it looks awesome too, but I doubt there are too many places to run it here in SC as we don't exactly have much desert and it seems a little low for the woods and field.
I have both the Wraith and the Exo. I would stick with the Wraith unless you have a large open area. The Exo is low to the ground and will hit large gravel or rocks sticking out of the ground. If that happens you can get a lot of damage. Check out this thread:
what's breaking your toe block's jumping or crashing? - RCShortCourse.com Bulletin Board

The Exo is a blast to drive at high speeds if you have the open area or a track to run on.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #8

I can't help but notice you responders keep mentioning the EXO, but he is asking about the Twin Hammers which has a solid rear axle I believe. Though you still might all be generally right in that the Twin Hammers migh have the same chassis height clearance. Saying that the rear solid axle should make the Twin Hammers a more capable back yard basher. Though if I don't plan on doing high speed runs and turns I would stick with the wraith. That's my opinion even though I don't own either.
HonestRCDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I'm with the other guys, wait until it breaks then upgrade parts. All except the gearing. Swap out the 20t stock pinion for a smaller one right away or you'll be buying a new motor after a few battery packs.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

The Wraith isn't a bad truck, I've got one and I really like it. If you like tinkering you will have alot fun with it (and thats what it's all about). It's not the "be all end all" truck straight out of the box, but who's to say the Twin Hammers is? Now go out and beat on that Wraith...its too clean. lol
Dualdigger is offline   Reply With Quote

Some Wraith Questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wraith foff questions evan03 Formula Offroad 26 07-14-2013 08:25 AM
Wraith Questions LGFAB Axial Wraith 3 02-04-2013 09:19 AM
Noob to R/C with Wraith and Questions SoCal_80 Axial Wraith 16 04-08-2012 07:27 PM
Wraith Questions sullivanscx10 Axial Wraith 10 01-22-2012 09:14 AM
wraith questions wraith_1986 Axial Wraith 1 10-17-2011 12:27 PM