Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: New Guy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #1

Default New Guy

Hi Guys. I'm new to RC trucks. I'm a new refugee from the RC helicopter world.

Just ordered an Axial Jeep Rubicon kit. can't wait to put it together. I have a couple of questions, though.

How many channels will I need on a transmitter. I will be buying one this weekend. Any recommendations? I would like to add lights and a winch to the jeep.

Can anyone suggest a ESC/motor setup for this truck? I know nothing about truck electronics. I will probably not go to a brushless, at least for now. I would like some speed and not all torque.

Lastly, where is the best place to find updrade parts for this model?

Thanks,
Jimmy
JimmyPickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: New Guy

this should help with your questions.
Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech - Axial SCX-10 at RCCrawler.com
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:59 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Welcome.

Great rig to start with! I got to see one @ a comp just before their release & it looks good & runs better.
This forum is probably the best resource for you to utilize. Get a star & the classifieds will open up. There are many recommended vendors as well as a plethora of small production shops making anything you could ever want to add to your rig. Read some build threads in the SCX10 section & you will have more ideas & recommendations than $$ I suspect.
Good luck sir
Dostradamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:55 PM   #4
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyPickles View Post
Hi Guys. I'm new to RC trucks. I'm a new refugee from the RC helicopter world.
Tried that. Saw a video where the guy was flying a Commanche, and put the remote down, and the 'copter hovered. Load of malarkey! I think mine's been crashed for the last time. Trash can food now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyPickles
How many channels will I need on a transmitter. Any recommendations? I would like to add lights and a winch to the jeep.
I still like my Futaba 2PL. I've got a 1/12th truggy (Hyper Mini STe), 1/8th buggy (Ravager, e-converted), short course (Slash 2wd), comp crawler (AX), and trail truck (SCX) all on this radio. I've gotten by on just two, but if I ever really had to buy another radio, I'd probably go 4PL next time. (in part, so I don't have to buy 5 new receivers)
For the lights on my trail truck, I just have them plugged into an open slot on the receiver. Can't turn them on & off, they just come on as soon as I plug in a battery. I don't have a winch.
As far as how many channels YOU need...... dunno, think I'd recommend three or more. OverkillRC has got some fairly cheap radios that can be programmed for something like seven or eight channels.

Quote:
Can anyone suggest a ESC/motor setup for this truck? I know nothing about truck electronics. I will probably not go to a brushless, at least for now. I would like some speed and not all torque.
I'd recommend you leave some room in your budget for a CC BEC and a CastleLink.
I run a Castle Sidewinder Micro in both my comp crawler and trail truck, both with 35 turn motors, both with stock AX gearing of 14/87. Even on 3S LiPos, top speed is a fast walk/slow run. Sounds like you may be more trail than crawler, so you may want to pick up an Axial 'silver can' in 20 or 27 turns. Those should be cheap enough you can try 'em out and see if that's where you wanna be, speed-wise. I wouldn't advise running a SW Micro with those motors, though. If I needed another ESC, I'd probably stay within the Castle camp simply because I already have the CastleLink and familiarity with the brand. (Sidewinder, AE-2,BR-XL, etc...)

Quote:
Lastly, where is the best place to find updrade parts for this model?
Buy a star and get instant access to the classified section
I prefer TCS crawlers
RCP crawlers
RPP hobby
Stormer hobby
A-main
Tower
RC4WD

Or get out and talk to some buds, they might have what you need or can give you some more info on where to look.

Waukesha, Wisconsin? If so, Check this out. Might have some locations pinned on it somewhere near you where you can go explore, and maybe meet up with some like-minded individuals.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyPickles View Post
How many channels will I need on a transmitter. I will be buying one this weekend. Any recommendations? I would like to add lights and a winch to the jeep.

Thanks,
Jimmy
With a winch you need at least a 3 Channel radio with a 3 position switch for the third channel. The high end radio would be the Futaba 4PL it has mixing for 4 wheel steering and the 3 position 3rd channel switch. ( 3PL has only a 2 position switch.) The low end the hacked GT3B from overkill rc is a good choice.

For lighting and winch controllers check out HeyOk. He has some amazing electronics and has really great customer service.
HeyOK's RC Electronics items (all in one place)

For the brushed motor ESC, I would go with a Holmes Hobbies Torque Master Pro Combo. I am using a 35T Torque Master in my Honcho. I would go with the water proofing on the BR-XL just in case it ever gets wet.

Holmes Hobbies LLC

If you decide that you want to go with bead lock wheels instead of gluing, Motoworx Racing makes some really nice wheels at a good price. Another small vendor that is great to work with. ( I really hate gluing tires)

» 1.9 Scale RC Wheels Archive - Motoworx Racing

The Dinky RC Head and Tail Light kit gives better tail lights for use with leds and a radiator / head light buckets for the front.

JK HeadN'Tail Light Kit

For the steering servo I am using a hs-7954sh powered by a CC BEC at 7.4V

Last edited by k7zpj; 03-08-2013 at 05:13 PM.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:34 PM   #6

Guys, this is great. I didn't expect so much great info on my first post.

Thank You!
JimmyPickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:22 PM   #7

Welcome to the forum..show us some pics of.your crazwlers
crawlerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

New Guy - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New guy guy here need helping choosing crawler Qcustomz Newbie General 10 09-23-2012 10:27 AM
r/c guy not computer guy. roscoeisthecool Comments, Suggestions, and Help 72 03-14-2010 01:09 PM
new guy kenny40391 Chit Chat 8 02-06-2010 08:17 AM
new guy here joes07rr Axial AX-10 Scorpion 6 12-02-2008 10:51 PM