Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Just starting in rc rock crawling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 09:52 PM   #1

Default Just starting in rc rock crawling

Hey guys new to this forum. I've been into rc for well over 10 years with both surface and air vehicles. I would like to get into rock crawling. I'm on a tight budget so I would like to either upgrade my clod buster into a rock crawler or find a kit that's true 4x4. It doesn't need to be rtr cause I plan on using my spektrum dx6i air transmitter so I can independently control the front and rear steering. So that being said I would like something exactly like my clod buster that has MOA and front and rear steering or just info on upgrade parts for my clod. I was really interested in the exceed rc mad torque crawler but I can't find it in stock anywhere. Thanks for the help guys.
mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2013, 10:21 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Just starting in rc rock crawling

Hey! Welcome to the forum! Im not that familiar with clod crawlers but here's a link to the clod threads.

RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech - Tamiya Clod Buster at RCCrawler.com

I'm sure you'll get a lot of help.
Jeykito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeykito View Post
Hey! Welcome to the forum! Im not that familiar with clod crawlers but here's a link to the clod threads.

RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech - Tamiya Clod Buster at RCCrawler.com

I'm sure you'll get a lot of help.
Thanks I appreciate you sending me in the right direction.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:11 AM   #4

I also just recently got back into the hobby myself. Used to build custom clods when I worked for Hobbytown 15 years ago (back when we didn't have a tenth of the technology we do now and none of the scale parts availability). I now have a diablo chassis with gmade portal axles and basic rc4wd tranny. It is a mean machine that can be setup numerous different way's for any kind of terrain. With that being said, I would start with getting lockers for your clod and an aftermarket chassis. I wouldn't let that beast go to waste, clodbusters have so much potential. Of course there's lot's better out there, but you already own the clod.
f150parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:20 PM   #5

and the addiction begins lol welcome I have only been in the sport about 15 months but addicted i have 13 crawlers and rock racers now building my first from scratch scaler now. I am thinking of getting a boat soon so i may have to chat you up soon. IF i can help i can try new to all rc as of 15 months ago will be asking for more help than i can give probably lol. I have tried a few different esc, motors, axles, and other misc. parts can give my opinions if you need. I like novak so far for esc. and scx 10 axles are pretty good for bashing for the price. if you end up getting more addicted after your first truck.

Last edited by Kayne184; 03-29-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Kayne184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:30 PM   #6

I was looking at getting a Novak rooster esc for my clod since it can handle up to 6s lipo and all my aircraft batteries are 3s lipos. I just don't know if I can bind a surface receiver to my air transmitter (spektrum dx6i). I really would like to control my front and rear steering independently.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayne184 View Post
and the addiction begins lol welcome I have only been in the sport about 15 months but addicted i have 13 crawlers and rock racers now building my first from scratch scaler now. I am thinking of getting a boat soon so i may have to chat you up soon. IF i can help i can try new to all rc as of 15 months ago will be asking for more help than i can give probably lol. I have tried a few different esc, motors, axles, and other misc. parts can give my opinions if you need. I like novak so far for esc. and scx 10 axles are pretty good for bashing for the price. if you end up getting more addicted after your first truck.
I actually don't know much about rc boating. I was actually interested in getting into that as well since my be apartment has a huge wide open lake.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:20 PM   #8

i would just break down and buy a crawler like the xr10 or actually if you can still find them the venom creeper is an excellent crawler for just 100.00 without electronics,i have owned the ax10 from axial and the venom creeper and believe me the venom creeper is a great crawler for a shafty,dont let anyone tell you the ax10 is better i own both and the creeper breaks less that the ax10
Billadelphia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:01 PM   #9

I've decided to build up my clod buster since the exceed rc mad torque isn't in stock anywhere. So here's the parts I'm gonna use.

I found out I can use an aircraft receiver in my truck so I can independently control my front and rear steering. Will post more pictures as I get moving on the transformation.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #10

The venom creepers are bullet proof once you do the updates and recommended mods.
Crawlerjedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Just starting in rc rock crawling - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Starting crawling in Southern Illinois dano104 Illinois 19 05-27-2015 08:08 PM
Very new to Crawling, starting my AX10 build. BL Setup... Boosted2000si Axial AX-10 Scorpion 16 02-08-2013 07:36 AM
New to Crawling starting build. comments spersky Axial XR10 11 07-01-2011 11:45 PM
starting some rock crawling action GReddy California 2 12-12-2004 02:44 PM