Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: new to sport.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 12:15 PM   #1

Default new to sport.

I would like to see if anyone can tell me a good starter rig. just saw a comp and very interested in getting a rig. Can someone tell me where I can find one. Would like to be able to get a package deal rig and all the stuff needed to get started.
sbrown5570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2013, 01:11 PM   #2

Default Re: new to sport.

r u looking for a scale rig or a crawler,if crawler theres only a few routes u can go a berg crawler would probably be the choice if money is no issue,and i hear the xr10 from axial has been discontinued and that is an awesome rig and lower cost than the berg,but go with berg u will not be disappointed
Billadelphia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:05 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

dont mean to hijack the thread, but what is the difference between a scale rig and a crawler? i understand scale as in 1:1. but is a scaler not just a crawler? I am new also and need some clarity on that.
PSSUPERSTORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #4
RCC Addict

@sbrown - depends on the kind of competition you want to do. For comp crawling the motor on axle setup tends to be the best. The XR10 is a great truck and good starting point, but has been discontinued. The shaft based (called shafty) tend to be coming back in popularity. The Ridgecrest is a great starting point as well, but needs proper tuning and modification to get it where you'll want it.

@PSS - scalers are trucks that look like real trucks. They tend to have smaller wheels and tires to keep looking like more real. Some even use a hard bodies (polycarbonate hard plastic) that are painted on the outside so when they get scratched up they look even more scale. Technically a scaler is a crawler, but they tend to be less capable offroad than a competition truck.

There are competitions specifically for scalers though. I had a comp motor on axle truck (XR10) and it was fun to drive, but I have a few Wraiths and I have more fun driving those with my son. i'd like to have some trail runs and comps that are targeted for those.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:47 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ik632 View Post
@sbrown - depends on the kind of competition you want to do. For comp crawling the motor on axle setup tends to be the best. The XR10 is a great truck and good starting point, but has been discontinued. The shaft based (called shafty) tend to be coming back in popularity. The Ridgecrest is a great starting point as well, but needs proper tuning and modification to get it where you'll want it.

@PSS - scalers are trucks that look like real trucks. They tend to have smaller wheels and tires to keep looking like more real. Some even use a hard bodies (polycarbonate hard plastic) that are painted on the outside so when they get scratched up they look even more scale. Technically a scaler is a crawler, but they tend to be less capable offroad than a competition truck.

There are competitions specifically for scalers though. I had a comp motor on axle truck (XR10) and it was fun to drive, but I have a few Wraiths and I have more fun driving those with my son. i'd like to have some trail runs and comps that are targeted for those.

How do you like the wraith? As a crawler? I'm new to crawling and just bought my son a 1/16 crawler and want something that I can crawl with him and drive with him. Is it a capable crawler? I'm not going to do anything crazy crawling but still want something different from my other RC's that I can go explore ad crawl with. I'm worried its ping to just he another 4x4 rc( which I have plenty of) lol
PSSUPERSTORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSSUPERSTORE View Post
dont mean to hijack the thread, but what is the difference between a scale rig and a crawler? i understand scale as in 1:1. but is a scaler not just a crawler? I am new also and need some clarity on that.
If you go take a look at my pics in my profile there is one of each lol. The orange one is a very Heavily modified XR 10 Moa ( motor on axle ) the jeeps are scx10 (scalers) with hard body's. and the monster can is a Heavily modified ax10 shifty spend some time and Look through all the brand specific forms. You will get a good idea of what Each of them are.
Shinnco is offline   Reply With Quote

new to sport. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hello all, new to the sport Nutternugz Colorado 17 05-24-2011 11:09 AM
new to the sport itzlouie Newbie General 2 02-22-2011 06:05 PM
New to the sport StitchTH Wisconsin 8 12-16-2010 09:53 PM
new to the sport tj on 37s Indiana 5 12-06-2009 04:23 PM
New to this sport... SynisterUrge Newbie General 10 08-29-2007 03:44 AM