Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: New to forum and asking for first-truck advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 11:46 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default New to forum and asking for first-truck advice

Ok, folks.. this is my first post so don't hurt me too much.

You are all probably tired of this question, but here goes..

I don't have a huge budget, but I want something better than New Bright . . . . Please help me make my choice?

Here are some criteria. Note that I know I wont find anything that fits ALL my criteria, but I will trade some things for others, I just want to show what sorts of things I am looking for.
  • under $200 preferred, under $300 tops
  • new is preferred, but used from someone reputable is fine. Prefer to stay away from Craigslist/ebay, unless the suggestor has first-hand knowledge of the source..
  • all electric, no nitro
  • 1/16th-18th scale or larger, 10th-6th preferred, no mini/micro 24th-28th scale
  • all-wheel-drive (4 or maybe 6 wheels)
  • realistic/scale looking, something that might be seen driving down the street, not only on trail-or-trailer, Jeep, Chevy/Ford PU, Unimog, Tatra, etc. but does not have to be a specific scale replica of anything.. no vacuformed bodied vehicles.
  • enough speed to not be boring to drive around on flat ground, but enough power and clearance to at least handle an average curb, lots of curbs at the local baseball parks.. possibly shiftable gearing without having to swap pinions
  • easily available repair/upgrade parts (standard servos for steering, not proprietary plastic BS like NewBright/toys)
  • proportional steering/speed control
  • Tx/Rx that can be used in more than one vehicle if I get another Rx

If I think of anything to add, I will append this list.

Please note, this is not a classified/want-ad, it is a request for advice and information.

Thanks for any and all help and suggestions!

Michael, from Augusta/Hephzibah Georgia.

Last edited by DieCastoms; 04-07-2013 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Edited slightly 4/7/13 to fit the forum rules a little better per suggestion of a Moderator.
DieCastoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: New to forum and asking for first-truck advice

For what your looking for and the $300.00 limit you might be best to buy a star and look for something used. Going for the cheaper rigs usally gets costly real quick. I.E. EXCEED, REDCAT

Also doing some research instead of others picking your new truck is always a good idea, atleast to get some idea's and narrow things down to see what fits your budget.

Last edited by crawlhog; 04-07-2013 at 11:25 AM.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:56 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

You're best bet to meet your criteria would be buy a star and watch the classifieds like a hawk or check out eBay/Craigslist. But you will probably find a better deal on here and I've never been disappointed with anything I've purchased from people on here. Good luck with your hunt.
JBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #4

Like they said above, get into the classifieds on the site. I would search craigslist in your area and check if anyone is selling rc's though. Best thing is too see what your purchasing in person before you buy it
christianewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the replies, folks, and thanks Mod for passing my first post! I made the changes you suggested.

I've been looking an awful lot at the MadTorque and the MaxStone 10 but there are things about both I simply don't like, and have been getting a lot of advice from people here and elsewhere that by the time I make a solid truck out of those, I might as well have bought the SCX10 instead. I really love the look of the rubicon body, but am also leaning towards the Honch..

we'll see what comes up available. There's a Rubicon on EBay right now for $300..

Michael.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

The scx 10 is a good rig and meets most of your criteria but the price. I got lucky and found a used one on craigslist for 200. Keep an eye out for the good deals. You are most likely going to have a harder time getting a good deal on a Rubicon just because it has not been out nearly as long. Good Luck.
Valreesio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:14 AM   #7

like he sais scx10is a great truck and finding one on craigslist at least here in florida is about impossible
Billadelphia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:15 AM   #8
RMK
Quarry Creeper

Agreeing with the others, get the green star, go look in the classifieds. For your budget and what your looking for, try finding a roller or maybe with an esc. You can pick out your body and specifics farther down the road. If you have stuff to trade, post up a wanted add and include what you have to offer. You can build a great scaler on a budget, it just takes time and patients.
RMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:09 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I thank you very much for all your replies to this thread! Even the replies of the unseen moderator who helped me out in private.

I've decided 100% to go with the SCX10 series, but now am trying to decide what body style to go with.

Rubicon:
My wife is in agreement that the best looking one for scale is the Rubicon. Figures we'd both choose the most expensive truck . . . right?

Honcho
I kinda like the Honcho, but something about the bed on it displeases me. I'm not sure what. I think I would likely pull that bed off and build a wooden stake-body/flat-bed on it, since those are SO common here in my part of the country.

Dingo
I don't really care for the Dingo body. Something about it annoys me, but I'm not sure what.

Custom?
I am now searching for a mid-80's S-10 pickup or Blazer body. I have found the '80 Proline K5 body, but I want the S10 body.. I suppose if I really have to, i could paint in the slanted b-pillar and be "close enough" but .. I'll keep looking.
Why?
I had an 86 Blazer for a summer.. had very little rot, 33 inch super swampers on it, Goodwrench rebuilt engine, kinda-thumpy stereo system.. Paid $200 for it because "there was something wrong with the transfer case." Turns out a vacuum line popped off so the truck would not shift into 4x4. Eventually sold it for $400 to someone badly in need, who then blew the engine . . . I have pictures of it, somewhere ..

We shall see!

Michael.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:39 AM   #10

Honestly for me if I where to do it again I would of gotten the honcho than the rubicon. Here is the reason why; it comes with a LED kit, front battery mount, and also has the ti-nitride coated shafts. While the rubicon doesn't have any of those, I ended up having to buy the screws when I moved the battery to the front. I mean the rubicon does have the body, and trepadors. But for me I think it would of been better if I bought the honcho, and bought the rubicon body kit and trepadors (You would end up buying beadlocks also) later down the road.

Last edited by shishcabobers; 04-11-2013 at 01:45 AM.
shishcabobers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:57 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

the guys on a tight budget and you guys are tellin him to spend the first $50 on a star? I love it...
D19er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:16 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by D19er View Post
the guys on a tight budget and you guys are tellin him to spend the first $50 on a star? I love it...
Well he could just buy the $20 star, nobody's telling him to get a gold star lol.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:29 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by D19er View Post
it doesnt cost $50 to buy a star...

to the OP - the SCX10 is a nice choice, and can be modified/upgraded quite easily as budget allows - lots of aftermarket support. No, it isnt cheap, but in many respects, you get what you pay for. (altho I do have to take issue with the cheap plastic steering links on the RTR versions - do the kit trucks have better steering links?)

Dont know what you have for hobby shops in your area, but my local HS sells used vehicles that he has gone over for a fair price. Some are on consignment, some he buys outright then resells. He wont put anything out for sale until after he has gone thru it to verify that things actually work. The selection available is mostly SC or pan cars, but every now & then he gets something interesting in.
heartless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:04 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

As for the stars: I will not be buying one any time soon. The CEO of my wallet is really annoyed at forums that charge you to 'join' and basically said no.. I will try to hold out the 30 days, and 30 posts and see what happens. Let's not have any more about it, that is not what this thread is for.

As for choosing the SCX10 series: Already been done. Now I just have to choose a particular beast. I still seem to be leaning towards the lower-priced Honcho, and planning to fab a different bed for it as the one that's on it bugs me.

As for linkages: I think I'd rather break a couple replaceable linkages, than break something harder to replace, like a knuckle or servo, right? Correct me if I'm wrong here, I welcome it.

As for LHS: I have one HobbyTown USA that honestly is much too much stuff in a store that is much too small, with staff that does not pay attention to anyone who isn't a regular customer, and I certainly am not a regular ... yet. I haven't gotten a chance to take a look at there selection/stock since the crawler-bug re-bit me, so I have no idea if they will be helpful or not. Seeing their prices on other things, however, I will probably end up using the intarwebs for my LHS anyway.

As for buying used: This might be a terrible example, but I used to be big into "XMods." Xmods are 1/28th scale cars sold by Radio Shack with a ton of upgrades as well as aftermarket parts. I don't know how popular they still are, it's been a few years since I've had one, but when I was into them, they were as popular among XModders as these trucks are among crawlers (IMO).
I bought two or three stock and upgraded them a bit, and then I bought someone's very-upgraded used car. The used one was FAST AS HELL to the point of almost being uncontrollable by someone who'd not worked their way up to that speed incrementally. There was no experience in building it, and when a part on it did fail, I had no idea where to get an equal replacement as I'd not been the one to install the part in the first place..
I couldn't brag to other owners about what I had in it, because, other than the specs from the EBay auction, I had no blipping idea...
There was also nothing I could do to that car without costing me, either in swapping out a better part for a worse part that I actually had experience with, or simply having to shell out the bucks for parts that were more expensive than what I bought it with.. All I got to do was drive that one. As fast as it was, it got boring because there was nothing to do to it but drive. I ended up spending more time working on the others than driving my flagship.
I believe that I, personally, would have more interest in starting new and building my way up so I know what the hell is in my beast and what kind of effect each part had on the build than being handed someone else's lovechild that I know nothing about. I'd have more respect for my vehicle and would know it 'inside and out' instead of being a spectator and watching from the side..

anyways .. for those of you still reading, thank you. For those of you who trailed off up there somewhere, sorry for spilling my $.02 all over your forum.

Michael.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:58 AM   #15
RCC Addict

You cant go wrong with a Axial product I.E , wraith(kit) , honcho(rtr) , dingo(kit). don't worry about a body you can always put on the one you want. I say get a kit and build it that way you know your truck inside and out.

It is not a cheap hobby , but if your rig is built properly with a few minor upgrades like steel tranny gears, c-hubs and knuckles, and links that you can make your self. With a little PM here and there they are quite durable trucks.

Read , search and learn and you'll be a pro in no time.
Steer clear on taking advice from the little teenies they don't know shit on what there talking about, they just think they do. that's why most of there trucks look like crap and always breaking.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:20 AM   #16
RMK
Quarry Creeper

I agree with the previous post. I absolutely agree with you on creating your own baby. All of us on here that prefer to build feel that way. Start with a kit, and go nuts. As with everywhere, there is good advice and really bad advice. There are several of us who have been doing this for decades. I hit my 20yr anniversary this year

Research is gonna be your biggest ally. Read the build threads, ready the paint and body threads, read the electronics threads. You can have all of your questions ansered just by searching there.

The honcho kit is a solid platform. Cheaper than the Rubicon with the same "upgraded" part. Build it, drive the Hell out of it, upgrade what you break, or leave that part the "weak link" and keep driving it. Tweak the parts you don't like and in no time your rig will be built by you, specifically for your driving style and will look the way you want it to. It will eaither take your money or time, or both! But, to have a rig that is one of a kind and very personal to you, it is a great thing! Good luck with your build. You have a wealth of knowledge here and a group of guys that will help you with any issues or questions you will have.
RMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:27 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

SCX10 has been great. I was an idiot and ran it at the beach. (don't ask) And now I need to tear it down and clean it, so I haven't ran it for a while. But definitely a solid buy.

Sent from my toilet
droopmodmrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:49 PM   #18

Mplan is to start with the scx10 jeep, and do the free mods, cut foams, electrics layout, weights in wheels ect. And go from there
trebor7577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:03 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Ok, so .. the Treasurer has decided that I've spent enough time doing research and have had enough time do get over the IWANTTHATONE and make an educated decision .. so I have permission to buy my truck!!!!

I just have one question . . . . Am I being stupid, or is there really NOTHING anywhere that tells a NEWB what kinda of battery to buy . . . I mean .. the instructions have a section for "Required" but not included, when says simply says "BATTERY" and has a generic pack picture . . . and beside it, a generic charger . . .

I'm going to buy this battery and charger: Any warnings or suggestions otherwise?

Tower Hobbies NiMH 6-Cell 7.2V 2000mAh Stick Standard
TowerHobbies.com | Tower Hobbies NiMH 6-Cell 7.2V 2000mAh Stick Standard

Tower Hobbies AC/DC Peak Charger NiCd/NiMH
TowerHobbies.com | Tower Hobbies AC/DC Peak Charger NiCd/NiMH

Is there anything else (from Tower Hobbies) that I should buy now, to get all in the one shipment? I think I'm pushing my budget already but ... I want to be complete . . . y'know?

Michael ...
Old 04-14-2013, 07:45 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

If I was you I would look into a 2s lipo and charger and start out right lol. Don't get me wrong I still run nimh stick packs but that's because I already had them.

Tags
advice, first truck, newbie

New to forum and asking for first-truck advice - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
**UK Forum Member** New Purchase! Plus some Lipo, Motor & Charger advice please? iheartoldskool Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 3 10-21-2012 01:31 PM
new truck advice mud_life_19 Florida 9 10-25-2011 09:52 AM
new truck advice case-sensitive Newbie General 0 07-26-2011 04:26 AM