Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Help the n00b...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2006, 12:32 AM   #1

Default TLT-based scale crawlers

OK, so I picked up a nylint this summer, and think it's awesome. but I'd like to spend some time and $$ this winter on building something more capable, and scale. I think these scale rigs look soooo sweet!!!

anyway, I've looked a ton at the threads/stickies here, and even searched some, but I've found so much in depth info, that I don't even know where to start

so, could somebody point me to a great source of info for these...or just give me a short description of where I should start. I love tinkering with R/C stuff, but everything I've had thusfar has been pretty much RTR, though I've torn it all down to upgrade it...

also, about how much money would a decent budget build cost? assuming I've got essentially zero parts now.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me! hopefully I'll be spending more time here!

Last edited by Numbchux; 09-25-2006 at 05:25 PM.
Numbchux is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2006, 01:07 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default If you want a TLT crawler

Ok buy a TLT kit $70 at ultimatehobbies
Then choose a chassis of your likes Check the vendor section or use your cahssis that comes with the TLT kit. Free-$100+
Buy a Stampede tranny either from here or make one from tower hobbies $45
Get on ebay and buy a radio system either a 2 channel or 3 channel if you want rear steer or a winch Radio 2 ch $30 or less and a Traxxas TQ3 is $40 or less
Buy servos that have some decent power like the ones listed on here as being retagged i just bought 4 plus shipping for $49
Lathe motor is $20 or less
Then you need a ESC they range from a LRP runner $35 to Tekin Rebel2 $80 at tower.
Pede driveshafts, Metal yokes for at the axles, pinions and spur gears of your desire, maybe some Deans plugs and you should be set
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 01:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulaVW69
Ok buy a TLT kit $70 at ultimatehobbies
Then choose a chassis of your likes Check the vendor section or use your cahssis that comes with the TLT kit. Free-$100+
Buy a Stampede tranny either from here or make one from tower hobbies $45
Get on ebay and buy a radio system either a 2 channel or 3 channel if you want rear steer or a winch Radio 2 ch $30 or less and a Traxxas TQ3 is $40 or less
Buy servos that have some decent power like the ones listed on here as being retagged i just bought 4 plus shipping for $49
Lathe motor is $20 or less
Then you need a ESC they range from a LRP runner $35 to Tekin Rebel2 $80 at tower.
Pede driveshafts, Metal yokes for at the axles, pinions and spur gears of your desire, maybe some Deans plugs and you should be set
haha, SWEET!!

so...best way is to buy a TLT kit? or am I replacing enough stuff to warrant just buying the axles....
Numbchux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 02:01 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

If you look, you would see it costs more to just buy axles. As far as a budget on a semi-scale TLT build, look at spending $500.00 or so for middle of the road stuff.

Good luck.
RD400 is offline   Reply With Quote