Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: parts needed for basic crawler ground up build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 10:46 PM   #1

Default parts needed for basic crawler ground up build

I'm new to this great site and rc crawling. my question is what are the basic parts needed to build a truck from the ground up? I like to build things like that. Plus when completed you have the satisfaction of saying I built it. I already have a set of T-rex 60 axels, a frame (not sure which one) and some hiem joints that some one gave me. The axels are brand new never used. I know they are not the best for serious crawling, but im not looking to compete just have fun with in the yard lol. Can you guys give me a list of parts like servos and transmissions or transfer cases, motors, battery packs, and electronics that I would need to have a good truck to play around with and possibly upgrade in the future. Thanks and sorry for such a long first post.
mdillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2013, 12:26 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: parts needed for basic crawler ground up build

my suggestion....buy a ATR kit. something you can still build but comes with almost everything needed.
i bought a Axial Wraith kit and im still working on it but its been a load of fun to put together and it gives you a good understanding of how it all works and so on.
but with most kits some parts are not included such as electronics (motor,ESC,BEC,Servo or servos, radio and transmitter) so it still gives you lots of options to choose from.
champ198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:42 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

do you know what company makes the frame? because some frames use 4 link, outhers use actual leaf springs, and depinding on that is where you start looking at shocks and springs. and what kind of body will fit (ae 1:10 scale or bigger or smaller). not to mention hardware,wheels and tires and their size. and the electronics. I really like what your project is about and would be happy to help you the best I can. Ive wanted to do something like this to.
riskyjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:34 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

do the kits come with instructions on how to put it together? when I take something apart I know how to put it back together (like I've done with my ridgecrest many times already) but I'm not sure I'd know where to start if I was given a box of parts.
Gravebane525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

If the axles use driveshafts then u need a single esc and 1 motor 35-55t brushed for crawling, and then adapting driveshafts to those axles is all custom on your part to research or buy parts.

In the end I'd suggest starting with a kit or RTR, cheap? Redcat RS10? Then change the tires and wheels for xr10 and good firm foams in the rear soft or med fronts.
RESEARCH!
Budget!
Plan on upgrades too!
Whiplashdjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 04:59 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

I’m at the front end of a custom build as well. There’s a lot to think about, wheel base, electronics, links, mounts, Transmission, etc etc. I think you best bet is to download a schematic of a kit or an RTR and start there. Then at least you’ll know what you need for parts. Note that the parts for them will not necessarily be the exact parts you need and may not work with your setup, but you will at least know what there called, where they go and how they go. Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.
AndrewRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 07:49 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

basicly you need a.body a frame a transmission driveshafts and shocks and for electronics you need a servo a motor and a electronic speed controler and a radio

when i do scratch builds i start with a body i want to use that atleast gives you some direction you can set your wheel base and ride hight and your tire size you will know how wide you need to be and how long you need to be and how.much space.you have to work in under that body

you need to decide if your gona go simple or scale there usualy different set ups and determins what style drive train your gona use
theres forward mounted motor set ups and simple motor on trans set ups the old scx10 line uses the simple set up redcat uses a devorced set up they both work great

suspention yay first thing is what kind of suspention do you want linked or leafed or a combo i like leafs in the rear and links up front personaly lol
you can buy leaf kits if.thats the way you want to.go
most people go the linked route cause they perform so much better lol you can buy pre made links but they probably wont fit the body right so what i do is i buy 1/8" all thread and cut to the size i need then sleave it with stainless steel rod

most scale rigs run 80-90mm shocks there are so many brands and styles of shocks outhere i prefer the cheap ones though your gona need a way to mount them usualy mounting them to the frame makes the ride to high so they make brackets keep them in the right spot and still get good traval

for motors you have a choice of brushed or brushless both have there advantages and disadvantages i sugest going brushed at first there cheaper and simpler
just to guide you to a brand of motors holms hobbies are the forums favorite motors the guy who runs it is extremely nice and hes all about bettering our hobby so when posable buy from holms

not much to say about servos other than the more torque the better nothing worse than not being able to controle the rig cause the wheels wont turn

speed controler needs to match the motor brushed or brushless some escs will do both but there usualy more exspensive most comin are hobbywing and castle and holms

radios is just preferance the more channels the more gadgets you can controle like lights a winch shifters and all kinds of stuff
in my opinion get a radio with 3 or more channels

wheels i would look at 1.9 size the bigger size is more for buggies and larger scale rigs
i would get aluminum wheels juzt cause plastic sucks lol
and tires your gona need some in the size that fits your body

Last edited by ferp420; 11-10-2021 at 07:56 AM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 05:54 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

You just put parts together, If you screw up nobody dies.

You have axles, you need tires. You need something to hold the axles to the chassis you have. Those are links with link ends. You will mount one end to the axles the other to the chassis and skid. One set of link ends to the chassis (front and rear) the other to the skid plate where you mount the trans. The other links will mount to the chassis. You get a tape measure and get kind of close. You buy an assortment of link ends, different sizes and shapes. You will need shocks. You will need a transmission.

Buy everything that is compatible with Axial, not because Axial is better or worse but very common and sort of the norm.

Electronics can be expensive. There is a section here about electronics.

Watch videos and look at pictures.

It isn't hard to put these together. What does take time is butting them together so the work well.

You can kits that make it easier or learn as you go.

When you build you want your weight forward.

Last edited by MOguy; 11-16-2021 at 06:12 AM.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote

parts needed for basic crawler ground up build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini Crawler Pro Ground Up Build Suggestions FOXX Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 0 06-12-2011 04:41 AM
Basic Wiring Diagram Needed aggierc EnRoute Berg 1 10-15-2009 08:25 AM
First time Crawler basic build ElkySS Axial AX-10 Scorpion 2 06-07-2008 10:57 AM