Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Questions questions questions quest qowirnl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2006, 02:11 PM   #1
RYY
Rock Stacker

Default Questions questions questions quest qowirnl

As stated I have a few questions that I am trying to wrestle my head around. I am going to fire them off as they come to mind. Please feel free to answer one or all or maybe just chuckle to yourselves thinking back to when these same questions were stuck in your head for the first time.....
Here goes.........
1. What is MOAB?
2. Cut foam vrs. No foam vs stick on wieghts vrs. BB's!! Which is better in which aplication and why?
3.What is a PEDE?
4. Would a newbie be better off fabricating his own chassis(modify in the TLT) or going with an aftermarket chassis?
5.Recommendations by anyone on ESC's, motors, servos ect...?
6.With motors how does one chose whick one to start with as well as a starting spur and pinion gear? Is there a preffered pitch of tooth?
7. Batteries is there a recommended mAh, number of cells?
8. With the the motors and batteries where is maintennace required. I have a limited on road race back ground and maintennace was huge. Motors turned every three race days, brushes every race. batteries charged differenet depending on the day step charged, peak charged ect. Are there any links to help me with maintenance and invervals or maintenance?
9. Any decent places to buy stuff on line? My LHS is great they just seem alittle pricy!??
10. Replacment transmissions, when does a newbie do away with te stock trans? Should this be done right away? With what is the TLT one replaced with?
11. Figuring out relocation of items, everyone talks about geometry of shocks and drivlines, shifting vehicle weight. How do you decide where to drill holes to laydown you chassis, get more travel out of your suspesion, increase or decrease ride hieght?
12. Radio, servo and esc........I have a 75 mhz synthesizes JR radio is that acceptable? What brand, type and torque or servo is recommended? ESC any decent ones to start with.

Well that is it for now! I know it is alot so please asnwer what you want as any and all information is great. I hate buying/building R/Cs twice if I can spend a little more time and a little more cash up front to get a stronger, more reliable truck up front that is what I would preffer. In you answers you can email me @ tryoung@shaw.ca, PM me here or reply to this thread. As I have said any and all info would be great. Those of you that have replied to me and to my last thread have be incedibly helpful and informative. Let just see how much money I can squeeze out of my wifes cheque book to build this info into a real truck.

Thanx
RYY
RYY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2006, 03:25 PM   #2
Powered by Awesome

heres how to start... go to ebay and buy a pre-built RTC (ready to crawl). Search TLT, break it and then learn how to fix it, get good fixin it and then build your own. you can get a RTC for about 2-300 bucks.

start with a tlt-1 chassis
use a traxxas stampede tranny (PEDE)
grab either a 35-55 turn Integy lathe motor
use a traxxas TQ3 transmitter/reciever so you can run rear steer in the future
Moabs are a style of tire that most people run with 1/2 foams
wheel wieghts are needed depending on your driving style, this is a trial and error type of figuring it out process.
tada - your crawling -

if you start from scratch, visit www.thecrawlerstore.com for some tlt-1 upgrades

have fun reading around!!!! LOTS AND LOTS OF INFO ON HERE!!!
TwistedXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 04:28 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

The only real way to learn is to buy one. There is no perfect set up. It will never be done, if you think its done...you need to find another crawlin spot!

Dont want to cut you down or anything, but dont get into this hobby just to jump on a growing band wagon. If you dont know what Moab is, rock crawling may not be to your liking. A small knowledge of general 1:1 fourwheeling is gonna be required.

Rather than asking all these questions, buy a stock TLT, build it to tamiya spec, run it, figure out what you want it to do, then sit down in front of the computer and research.

Other wise...your gonna end up with a very expesive vehicle that you dont know how to drive.
BigRedB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 04:33 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

To clear up some confusion:

Moab =
1) A tire manufactured by pro-line. The best all around rock crawling tire. Comes in 3 sizes, 2.2 for TLT sized, 40 series roughly 5 inches tall, and 40 series XL close to 7 inches tall.
2) A small town in utah that hosts the SuperBowl of fourwheeling, Featuring famous obsticles known as dump bump, potato salad hill, the lions back, and many more.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:53 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedB2
To clear up some confusion:

Moab =
1) A tire manufactured by pro-line. 40 series roughly 5 inches tall, and 40 series XL close to 7 inches tall.
Just to clear a couple things up... The 40series is only slightly shorter than the 40series XL. It probably a difference of 1/4"-1/2". My XL's are at 7" and the 40's are at 6.5"-6.75". The biggest difference, the 40's are wider at roughly 4" and the XL's are roughly 3.25". Mind you that these dimensions can very slightly with the wheels used(if they are wide, narrowed, larger than standard, etc).
Cake Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 05:52 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adogg13x
Just to clear a couple things up... The 40series is only slightly shorter than the 40series XL. It probably a difference of 1/4"-1/2". My XL's are at 7" and the 40's are at 6.5"-6.75". The biggest difference, the 40's are wider at roughly 4" and the XL's are roughly 3.25". Mind you that these dimensions can very slightly with the wheels used(if they are wide, narrowed, larger than standard, etc).

eh well...never seen a regular moab
Old 10-02-2006, 07:40 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYY
1. What is MOAB?
Heaven on earth.The Mekka of Crawlers.
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:14 AM   #8
RYY
Rock Stacker

Rims and tires. When ordering what is one looking for in a good crawling tire and rim? Any recommendations, places to purchase, ect...
Again what about foam or cut foam, bb's or stick on weights? Is it necessary to cut wheels done or is that a personal/driving style preference?
Any recommendations on places to purchase other items such as esc, batteries, tires, servos ect.......
any and all assistance would be great?
Thanx
RYY
Old 10-03-2006, 11:55 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

wow, newb. normally i would come and flame some one like you but this is just to much stupid to bother.

as everyone else said read the stickies.

nobody uses the whole traxxas stampede, just the tranny. pede wheels are normally used for 2.2 but the fronts give a wider off set than the rears. moabs are the best tires for hardcore rock crawling, they are the softest and you most likely will need to run them with foams, the weights are normally put on the front wheels to help keep them on the ground while going up hill. the 55t turn motor is the most common crawling motor because it gives good torque and good wheels speed. the moped esc is IMO the best esc for crawling, it is small and has enough BEC to power a high torque servo. for servos most people run a hitech 5645 on a 2.2 rig, if your going anything bigger go with something with more torque. most of the stuff your asking is personal opion and once you get into this hobby youll get another truck test some other configurations and find what you like best.

if your short on cash there are several threads in the tlt section on how to mod the stock chassis to be a better crawler.

have fun
scott
clod booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 01:19 PM   #10
RYY
Rock Stacker

Thanks again for everyones input and opinions. My intent with all the questions was to try and eliminate spending hours reading through(short cuts never work for me) I thought if I sent out most of my questions I could get the answers I needed. My wife is an accountant and spends most every evening on the computer seriously limiting my allowable time on the site. I will do what I can thanx again.
RYY
Old 10-03-2006, 08:32 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

and if i sounded like a jerk, sorry, i do it to just about all newbs that come on here and ask questions that could easily be searched and have at least 30 entries with the same question and the same answer.
clod booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 08:18 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Atleast he put them all in one place rather then spread out all over the forums!