Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Newbie with a question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
SRW

Thumbs down Newbie with a question

Hello,

I was in the RC hobby back in the 80's and now that I have brought back my old buggies from my parent's basement; I think I got hooked again...

I saw the CC-01 (I love the Bronco body) and the SCX10 on YouTube and I am amazed by those trucks.

Do you think my old Futaba Attack FP-T2NBL (from my Midnight Pumpkin) or my Aristo-Craft Hi Tec Challenger 250 (from my Kangaroo) can drive those trucks?
SRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2013, 09:04 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Newbie with a question

Today's crawlers usually require a high torque steering servo. 300oz+ is recommended. I think if you use a BEC you might be ok. Just don't put the BEC and the RX antenna wire too close to one another. You might get interference. The 2.4 radio systems of today don't seem to have a problem.
65BAJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Any radio "should" be able to do the job. You may get some interference depending on the electronics, proximity, ect, in the crawler. Even spending the $35 or $40 or what ever it is now for even something like a FlySky GT3b should eliminate your interference while driving the Spectrum guys nuts. The GT3b is know for causing interference to Spectrum radios.

Lots of torque in the servo and a nice low turn motor. BEC is recommended.
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:48 AM   #4

I got the flysky gt3b radio and for the price it is a great radio. No complaints so far
phaetonman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #5
RCC Addict

One of the best leaps in tech the rc world has enjoyed was the jump from am/fm to 2.4ghz.
No crystals, no motor interference, great signal & reliability.
If you have any ambition to drive a rc today, buy a 2.4ghz radio with at least 3 channels & end point adjustment.
There are many economical models & you will eliminate a huge bunch of PIA out the gate.

If you have no other option, yes you could control the throttle & steering of those trucks with those radios.
You can use a rock for a hammer to
am/fm radio = rock
2.4ghz radio = hammer

Last edited by Dostradamas; 08-09-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Dostradamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:05 PM   #6

2.4 is the way to go. and if you have a light rig you can get away with a lower torque, I have a medium weight rig with a 400 oz servo and it wont turn the 2.2s on rocks even with a bec, I have to move slightly to get them to turn.
mudhog007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:00 AM   #7
SRW

I have 42oz servos.

I was interested in the CC-01 Bronco and seeing that the kit is Out of stock everywhere I got the feeling that it might get discontinued soon.

I have found on a nearby shop website the Bronco at a good price, bought it but got a email today saying the kit is back-ordered.

I was planning to buy the Bronco, try my old radios then if this doesn't work buy a new 3ch. 2.4 radio or a RTR SCX10.
SRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:21 AM   #8
Proverbial threadkiller

I would suppose those old radios will still control newer vehicles as well as they did the older ones, provided the radios still work. If you were truly down on money and had to decide, I'd place a CC BEC, CastleLink, and stout servo as higher priority than radio.

I have an old Futaba Conquest (converted to 75 mhz for surface use), but don't currently have it in a vehicle. I used to run it in a tank chassis that was going to be a monster truck ('57 Nomad body), but they've both been pitched (body and chassis, not the radio).
My old Futaba 2PB still runs my Associated TQ-10, with a Novak ESC. Last time it glanced off the garage door, I found out how brittle steering knuckles can be, and how much of a joy it is to shop for parts for a 25 year old car.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:53 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubble View Post
I would suppose those old radios will still control newer vehicles as well as they did the older ones, provided the radios still work. If you were truly down on money and had to decide, I'd place a CC BEC, CastleLink, and stout servo as higher priority than radio.

I have an old Futaba Conquest (converted to 75 mhz for surface use), but don't currently have it in a vehicle. I used to run it in a tank chassis that was going to be a monster truck ('57 Nomad body), but they've both been pitched (body and chassis, not the radio).
My old Futaba 2PB still runs my Associated TQ-10, with a Novak ESC. Last time it glanced off the garage door, I found out how brittle steering knuckles can be, and how much of a joy it is to shop for parts for a 25 year old car.
Sounds like me, got my RC-12I & RC-10 pan cars out a few years ago to run on indoor carpet.
Still running my old Futaba Magnum's, NiMH packs, fixed timing 27T's, Novack "no reverse" ESC's & old tires.
They were quick enough, but yes, the plastic is now on the "brittle" side.

The radios are fine, just a bit limited in what they can do.

For a crawler/scaler, an old 2 channel radio will work,they even tend to do better underwater than 2.4ghz!

Last edited by Charlie-III; 08-10-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:50 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

U can always pick up a axial 2.4 out of a rtr for around 30 for now or even less. Not the best but good starter radio.
2manyprojects is offline   Reply With Quote

Newbie with a question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
newbie question. rcslsafut Newbie General 1 02-08-2010 10:37 PM
Another newbie question. hakmazter EnRoute Berg 2 10-21-2008 07:57 PM
newbie question LSC91 Newbie General 9 02-25-2007 09:51 PM
Newbie Got a question zpmps2 General Crawlers 4 06-12-2006 09:29 PM
Newbie question Monster572 General Crawlers 3 07-19-2004 01:33 PM