Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Lots of newbie questions???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2013, 09:35 PM   #1

Default Lots of newbie questions???

I have lots of newbie questions, I am trying to get back into r/c with my son. Had a frog when I was 14. I'm 42 now and my son is 6. He has been practicing on my Nylint 1/6 scale jeep crawler, and I want to drive with him. Most of my questions are intended to find out what he can handle also. Kids learn stuff quick so I am hopefull

Last edited by THX_138; 08-25-2013 at 12:38 AM.
4wd-n-archery is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2013, 09:54 PM   #2

Default Trail running rig

I want to buy a pair of rigs for me and my 6 year old son. Initially i was thinking of a Summit. I know it is not necessarily loved in crawler society, but 4x4, controllable locking differentials, 2 speed, waterproof, lights. Sounds like alot of fun. Not a real crawler. True.
I also like a more scale look. could be more fun for a 6 year old. Summit's top speed is probably too much for a 6 year old. Dangerous.
I love the scale look of the cc-01, but how competent is it off road?
Also like the scale look of the cr-01, maybe more competent with more available upgrades. Maybe a good trail rig, but is it fast enough to be any fun driving around on the driveway?
Axial Wraith? I know it has many upgrade options and is a very competent crawler. Is it fast enough to be fun on trails with out getting to complicated and costing too much? Batteries, Motors? etc..

Maybe this is too many questions for 1 thread?

Crap! that was another question...

Opinions?
Old 08-25-2013, 08:03 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Default Re: Lots of newbie questions???

search around and see what catches your eye and start from there. any AXIAL product is your best bet
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:39 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I got my son an AX10 for his 1st RC. I upgraded to metal links, chubs and knuckle, and put in a 55t motor to slow it down. After he started to get the hang of it, I put in a 35t motor to give him more speed an work on his control. Now he has a Wraith that he picked out and helped build and customize. He takes good care of his Wraith, and when he has a friend over they beat on the AX10.

Personally, I would not go to nice for his first RC. You want something that is durable.
rob5059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #5

Sounds like good advice. Thank you. I may go just that way.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #6
RCC Addict

seems like you have some cash to spend. do it right the first time and stay away from the chepo / off brand stuff it will cost you more in the end.

I.E
anything Exceed
Redcat
jap crap off of E Bay.

you get the idea, it will be more fun for you and the kid if you aren't fixing them all the time.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:09 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Wraith. Hands down. I know that a tamiya would make you feel all warm and fuzzy dreaming about your frog days but your son will appreciate something more durable.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:06 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Any of the axial stuff is good. Here's my .02 and what id do for my son. Id look at the scx10 rtr. Like rob5059 said get a 55t motor and let him learn on that. Then once u feel comfortable drop either a 35t or the stock one back in for lil more speed. Let him beat up the stock body again till he's learning and then do a custom scale built body together. If he likes ur scale looking nylint u said u had. The scx10 are capable for crawling and fun trail rigs. Plus ur and his imagination is the limit for building them. Man now I can't wait till my boy is old enough to do all this. Its awesome u two can do this together. good luck and have fun.
jboehler04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I'd pick up a pair of scx10's. You can get 2 different versions of bodies but the running gear is all the same. I got a scx10 for my 3 1/2 year old. I set the slipper a little loose and geared it way down. He has beat the livin crap out of it and the list of parts I have replaced in a 1 1/2 years is:
-metal links and steering
-wheel wideners and 2.2 pitbull tires on axial beadlock rims( came with a rig I picked up but made his way more stable so learning steering has been alot easier)
-1 pair of plastic knuckles now running axial aluminum knuckles and chubs
-after 6 months abuse the stock servo gave out replaced with a Hitec 7955 (could have gone with a cheaper model but again came with a rig I picked up)

So thats it and he beats on it 2-3 times a week. He is now almost 5 and is starting to do trail runs with us big kids. They do pick it up fast!!! Just my 2 cents and btw I love that we get to do something so fun together!!!
mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:24 PM   #10

Very, Very helpful guys. I am taking everyones advice, and from the research I've been doing, I fully agree ...

OK... So I bought a Wraith I COULD NOT Resist. I kept adding what it would cost to build a Wraith, and what it would cost to ad upgrades, then I looked at used/built rigs places like here, ebay, and craigslist. I found one for sale locally, that I can't think of one more aftermarket piece to throw at it. Well, maybe a body, and softer tires.

Hope I didn't get in over my head. This thing is technical, and now I feel like I have it all and I don't even know what it is. Saved a ton of money over building it myself, and probably missed out on alot of fun and frustration.

Think I will buy a new scx10 for my son, and build it with him. Might help me understand what I have in my wraith better at the same time. I like the scale look of the Dingo best. He wants to do it in a Green Lantern Theme. Hopefully I can find a Green Lantern character to fit.
Attached Images

Old 08-28-2013, 09:22 AM   #11
RCC Addict

First off great find!!! You will love the wraith!!! Its the one rig that always puts a big smile on my face!!! From the pic the only thing I can see that you should change is the tires!!! But you know that already!!! Look into some PitBull Rockbeast II, Proline Super Swamper, RC4wd Iroks are probably the best three scale looking and performance wise. Which ever tire you choose make sure you stop by Crawler Innovations for some foams!!! IMO they are a must have for any rock/trail rig!!!
mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:06 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Duuuuude, that is a really nice rig. Holy hell that radio is friggin scary looking. Are you a pilot? is it complete with batts and electronics? Wraith is a great platform for being a do everything rig. I drive like my 5 yr son and the only thing we have snapped was the driveshaft.
el_Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:38 PM   #13

Yes the radio is kinda intimidating. the right stick controls forward and reverse, and front wheel steering, the left stick controls rear wheel steering.
Yes, I bought it with all the electronics. servos, esc, bec, radio, batteries, 8 lights powered by a small lipo battery, dig trans with steel gears. I am still trying to sort it all out. I will post up the specs when I can figure out what they all are.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:44 PM   #14

If you don't mind me asking... How much did you have to toss for all that?
Curious...

THX_138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:03 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Great lookin rig! Congrats
1r3land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:14 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Sounds like you got it.. I started my son with a mrc, then a losi mini SCT.. found out quick he liked speed.. but the SCT spun in circles.. so a mini inferno was next. 4wd, brushless and 2s for him an 3s for me.. a blast to drive! (For me.. )
For his 8th bday I got him a wraith. We have a blast together with them.. his is almost as decked out as mine, he wasn't happy with 35t on 4s, since it wouldn't do the nearest hill climb like dads.. now running brushless 13.5t motors on 3s.. it is a great time to get out together.. the smile on his face after making the hill is great! The fun I had building it an parts to upgrade was great as well! (For me.. :cool

The scx is for the wife to run.. next is my 4yr old daughter. She seems more of a rock crawler tho. She likes my sporty an moa..
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:35 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Oooh man. DIG? 4 wheel steering. Might be a bit much for you right away. Take it slow and be patient. Def not the rig you want your kid to have. Man you went in DEEP.
el_Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote

Lots of newbie questions??? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Person with lots of questions because im new to all of this. Please help OfflinePlayer Non Crawler RC's 22 08-02-2012 09:59 PM
Newbie with lots of pics... d1105 Axial SCX-10 17 12-08-2010 01:24 PM
Newbie needs help...lots of help snakemau Newbie General 28 03-08-2010 10:59 PM
newbie lots of questions needs answers veewee25 General Crawlers 9 07-03-2007 07:33 PM
hmmmm......... lots a questions jmangone23 General Crawlers 5 08-21-2004 12:04 AM