Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Hey guy's, Need help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2013, 01:51 PM   #1

Default Hey guy's, Need help!

I'm new to the RC world and I picked up an Axial dingo kit with Futaba 4pl.

I have installed a winch and now I can't figure out how to make the truck role in "neutral". Is there a way to turn off the drag brake for winching? The truck won't role on it's own freely.

My second question is concerning Dig. Is there an option to use dig with the 4pl?

Sorry even after searching for answers I'm coming up with nothing.

Thanks guys!
Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2013, 08:47 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Hey guy's, Need help!

to get rid of the drag brake youll have to either get a castle link (i recommend) or take it to a lhs that has a castle link and lower the drag brake. but what i would do is jus give the rig a lil throttle while your winching. my opinion i like having a drag brake cuz if i get crawling and lose a line i wanna be able to stop the rig on the rocks to find a new line instead of having to give it a lil throttle to stay. if you give it a lil throttle while winching will help you learn throttle control too.
jboehler04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:04 AM   #3
Scale Detail Engineering

Using Castle Link, I set my drag brake to 40%.
It holds on most inclines, will creep down steep hills and allow the winch to pullthe truck... but I have a sevo winch.
Most cases I give it a little throttle...

You can run a dig and a winch with the 4pl. just set the dig to the 2 position channel (4 iirc).

Here's a video of me using my drag brake, winch and throttle together for the winch obstacle at NWITTC.
I should ha've used it when I got up there the first time but thought I might be able to make it without the winch...
http://youtu.be/6d5yZ1vYIZQ

Last edited by johnnyh66; 10-20-2013 at 09:31 AM.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:16 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies! It's discouraging for someone new to the RC world whom has no one local to help out.

For me I'm a hands on learner so I ripped my rig completely apart so I understand how everything works. The radio is a bit confusing but I'm working on it.

I have a castle sv2 castle esc, I'm wondering how to change it's settings? I like the idea of using the throttle while winching but it's still nice to know.

I'm looking at adding a DIG unit. Do you guy's have a dig unit or have any experience? Recommendations are always nice. I'm thinking of swapping my stock transmission with a Wraith transmission with dig components. I guess I'll have to buy a compatible dig unit after as well right? Suggestions?

And thanks for the video!
Old 10-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #5

I agree with the throttle control. The drag brake is super important to me. As far as a dig, I loved my VP dig unit on my ax10 I had. Sold it to my buddy and am regretting it. I'm going to definitely buy another by them. VP has extremely high quality parts! Haven't tried any others for axial. Have a dig for my MOA, but that doesn't help you out. You'll find so may uses for the dig once you have it. It's almost spoiling. You'll definitely be able to conquer many more obstacles that you couldn't before. From steep inclines by engaging the dig to give the front wheels bite to pull you over. To engaging it on a steep slope to slow you down. Plenty of applications and a lot of fun. Just have to set the end points on your radio to get it engaged properly. Not hard at all. Good luck. I hope it helps.
babristow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:00 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Ya go with a vp hurtz dig unit. They are pretty awesome. Sure the 4pl can definately work with a dig unit. What rx are u using channels available? 3 channels work fine or an aux channel simply changing the aux to a 3 positional channel will work with the dig or 3rd channel if you have one with the winch on an aux or 3 channel as well. Works like a champ. I have 2 rigs running them now but no longer use an 4pl, but had one for about a year. They are answered ur drag question but another way I do this is simply adjust ur throttle trim when using the winch this way the truck will move forward easier. Simple and no programming needed as well u keep your drag brake on the rocks.

To make this extreme simply program ur throttle curve in your esc when u get a castle link programmer. For example when I use the winch or roll down hill I would simply tap my throttle trim forward once and it will allow it to move freely or if I wanted it to stick to the rock or trail going uphill without rolling back I would put it back in neutral . Essentially u will have the ability to lock the rig in place rolling down hill or uphill with a touch of a button. Jackpot! And give you that winch freedom u seek.

Thanks,
ORK

Last edited by OFFROADRCKOREA; 10-24-2013 at 05:08 PM.
OFFROADRCKOREA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:00 PM   #7

The vp hurtz unit looks nice. In my case I had already ordered an Axial Wraith transmission with an Axial dig parts pack.

I'm using a Futaba 4 channel RX. Channel 3 is free so I guess I'll use that. I just now need to learn how to program everything.

My Castle ESC doesn't seem to have a connection port. I can't find it on the Castle Web site and there is no model number on the unit. I guess I have an old one.

Off topic but you guy's ever try Brazing up a homemade roll cage? I bought all the stuff, cut and bent the parts and it just won't work. I have researched a lot and it seems the wire solder I have doesn't have enough silver in it. What a pain in the ass.. The wire solder recommended is like 70$.. Nuts.

Also have you guy's ever done a SCX10 4 link conversion? I have bought the parts but have not bought upper arms as I'm not sure what length to get. After researching it seems I need to wait for the parts to measure the arms.

Thanks again!

Fonz
Old 10-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Futaba 4PL Setup, Tips, Tricks & Help
Look here for anything you need to know about the 4pl.
stelerzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:28 PM   #9

Thanks a lot for the link! Cheers.

Fonz now Free

Hey guy's, Need help! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hey guy's need some help tundrafan01 Axial SCX-10 4 07-06-2011 12:31 PM
hey guy's help me decide tundrafan01 1.9 Scale Rigs 10 07-01-2011 02:13 PM
hey guy's need some help tundrafan01 1.9 Scale Rigs 8 06-14-2011 05:58 PM
hey guy's have a few 2.2 question's tundrafan01 2.2 Scale Rigs 0 06-08-2011 04:22 PM
hey guy's need some help tundrafan01 Newbie General 1 05-16-2011 04:50 PM